MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/02/2011 01:27 PM

Is is normal to vomit large amounts of bile?

gemini2
gemini2  

Hi everyone, I recently joined the group, but today was one of my worse days yet. On a few previous occasions, after all the food comes up, I've vomited about a quart of bile, it's very painful, and horrible. Since I was released from the hospital, I had 15 days without an episode, then It happened again early this morning. This time it was about 2 quarts at least...some of the food was still there from yesterday, undigestd of course, but then all that bile. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Sorry to be so negative, but between the RA, Sjogren's Syndrome, and now GP - I'm getting to the very END of my rope, I'm sorry to say this -but it's true. Is anyone having this much bile coming up too? Any replies will be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Post edited by: gemini2, at: 03/15/2011 08:29 AM

03/02/2011 03:31 PM
GastroGirl
GastroGirl  

Well, I've had one episode where I was vomiting what I think was bile for two days. It happened at night, so I called the doctor on call at the medical center I go to. He was a little concerned, but in the end we did nothing. I called my own doctor the next day and he didn't have much to offer. We didn't know about the GP then. I had been on clear liquids and white rice for a few days. That morning all I had was two bites of jello and a couple of bites of rice before the pain started. Honestly nothing more than a total of 4 small bites and not a single other thing for two days. My GI doc was not convinced it was bile...mine was bright green and he said it usually isn't bright. So, in the end, it passed and I was able to resume clear liquids and a few bites of rice, then eventually more.

So, really, I'm sorry I don't have advice, but I really can feel your frustration!

Post edited by: GastroGirl, at: 03/02/2011 03:32 PM

03/02/2011 09:01 PM
gemini2
gemini2  

Thanks Donna, That sounds pretty awful too. Mine is always bright yellow, it's definitley bile, and lots of it. Perhaps I should've gone to the er, but I couldn't move -I'm sure you know that feeling...can't stand up, the pain is off the charts, dripping with sweat, feeling pretty close to death, can hardly speak. I should have called the paramedics, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.. The current GI Dx'ed gastritis - and advised 'learn to live with it'. ?! But other dr.'s said to get another opinion. Medicare starts in 3 months.

Everyone in this group has been suffering alot longer than I have with GP - I've got to continue to try and get better. I'm sure you all have similar stories, for a lot longer too. I just wondered if anyone else has had bile coming up like this, and if it's typical of Gastroparesis or not. Thanks again Donna. Any other replies would be deeply appreciated. Take care.

Post edited by: gemini2, at: 03/03/2011 05:33 AM

Post edited by: gemini2, at: 03/15/2011 08:36 AM

03/03/2011 05:38 AM
chaffer26

Don't necessarily know that I cold say I've had that much as I never really paid close attention to it, but whenever I flare bad enough to start vomiting bile, mine is bright green as well. It usually goes on for a while too before I suck it up and go in. I hate the ER. Typical medical person...wait forever before going in.

I would say push for a new GI doc, if you can. My old one, along with all the ER docs I saw, told me for years that I had gastritis. When the whole time it was GP flares acting up. It took a partner of his to order the tests for me to get diagnosed.

03/03/2011 12:22 PM
GastroGirl
GastroGirl  

You're welcome. I definitely know the feeling of not being able to move. That particular flare-up was a really bad one. All the others started early in the morning, that was the only one that had ever happened at night. About an hour after dinner I started getting the pain. That went on for a couple of hours then the vomitting started. Prior to that, all my vomitting episodes had only lasted for one day, so in many ways this one was a bit scarey. It lasted longer, it was bile and it didn't quite fit the "normal" pattern.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved