MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/30/2010 08:05 PM

Gastroparesis and Botox

GPwife
GPwife  

My husband has been in and out of the hospital for the last month 11 times. 5 times in the last 3 days. I got a dr's appt with his gastro dr today and we discussed a couple of options. The dr scheduled my husband for botox injections in the pyloric sphincter. I have heard of the treatment, but there is not much in the way of research on this topic. Has anyone had this treatment? Did it work? What were any complications that you have experienced? He is scheduled to have this procedure done on January 29th and I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this treatment for us.

01/04/2011 09:58 PM
chaffer26

I had it done in May. They told me it could take up to 6 or 8 weeks to take full effect. It never really did anything for me. My new GI said that hte hospital she is at isn't offering it to Idiopathic patients anymore because they are seeing far fewer results than from diabetics who get it done.

However, keep in mind I have failed or am unable to take all the med options available, so it was no big surprise it failed for me.

As for side effects/complications, nothing serious for me. I did have, for whatever reason, a wierd reaction to the sedation. It gave me a migraine. I had never had Propofol before. It seemed to linger longer than the normal Fentanyl/Versed combo I have gotten before, which is bizarre as it is very short acting. I ended up in the ER that night for something to break the migraine because I was told not to take any NSAIDS, which is what I Normally take for it.

Hope this helps you make some kind of decision. Just remember, it's like any treatment, some people respond very well to it, others don't respond at all. It could be worth a try, he may be one of the ones it works for.

07/15/2011 04:09 AM
youngfred

Hello,

Can you tell me whether the botox was covered by insurance, and/or how much it costs?

thanks,

fred

07/15/2011 04:10 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

If you're asking me I seriously doubt it! They wont even pay for nexium!Pinch Pinch Dizzy

07/25/2011 01:30 AM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Ron did you check into Prevacid? My insurance didn't cover Nexium but paid for that one. If not, there's some over the counter stuff that you could try too and maybe save some $. With all the pills we take, saving money is pretty nice. I'd pay like 500$ a month on pills if some weren't covered. Just insane.

07/25/2011 10:35 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

One year (after) my "Transplant" my prescriptions alone were almost 80 thousand dollars! ($78.000.00+) that was not counting any of the procedures I had done, or doctor visits, blood work etc... I'm pretty sure I cannot take that one (Prevacid) because I'm a transplant (not sure?) thanks for the info all the same, it's much appreciated!

Post edited by: RonoftheDead, at: 07/25/2011 10:37 PM

07/26/2011 07:33 PM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

OMG that is INSANE!!! That's when I'm glad to be Canadian. Surgeries and such are free here and if I needed those meds after a transplant, they would also be covered. I feel so bad for you, Ron.

07/27/2011 04:01 AM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

Funny you say that, we are thinking of packing up & moving to the great white north & eventualy becoming citizens. Do not worry about me I'm just glad to be alive! To be honest as long as it's not my wife or my child...I can take it, like I said better me than them, I'll be alright I've got a lot of fight still left in me! Hope you're having great week, all my best...

Ronny Smile

07/28/2011 02:38 PM
Plo83
Plo83  
VIP Member

Even sick, you have a great outlook on things and clearly love your family very much. I'm glad that you're surrounded by those you love.

07/28/2011 06:13 PM
RonoftheDead
RonoftheDead  
I'm an Advocate

Thank you my friend...Without them (family) it would be so much more difficult, they're my stength. I totaly believe that we are only given as much as we can take, sometimes I feel like I've had all I can take but then I'll see somebody who is MUCH worse off than myself & thank God how lucky I am to have a loving family, I think I'd rather be in the shape I'm in versus being healthy & having nobody to share my life with! I really mean that...Life is what you make of it & I'm not going to let my health deffine who I am.

I hope you're doing as well as can be expected,if you EVER need somebody talk with feel free to contact me anytime.

All my best...

RonnyCheerful

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved