MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/10/2010 02:38 PM

Pre-Op for Gastric Bypass/Sleeve Surgery

mrstexasbmw

Hello everyone, I just joined the group. I am pre-op for Gastric Bypass. My surgeon says that I may not be able to have Gastric Bypass because of a previous hernia operation so if not, he will do the sleeve but I wont know until he starts the surgery. My question to anyone would be. How did you stay on the pre-op diet and still cook and feed your family? That is hard for me because I want to eat too. My surgery is scheduled for 1/20/2010.

Post edited by: mrstexasbmw, at: 01/10/2010 02:39 PM

01/10/2010 03:46 PM
blazyn
blazyn  

Hi - welcome to the group! That's awesome your date is so close - are you nervous yet? Tongue I just had RNY Bypass Wednesday so I'm still dealing with the mostly liquids, once or twice a day soft foods. I only had my pre-op diet of clear liquids for 2 days. Most people on here have it for 2 weeks, though I've heard of it being up to a month in some cases. For me it wasn't a problem since my lack of self control (thankfully) wasn't a reason for my surgery. I did okay on 2 days but I think if I had to do a length of time it would be much harder. What about while making a dinner snacking on a sugar free popsicle? That way your body and mind think you're eating but are still following the 'clear liquid' guidelines. Or some other OK snack? I have about 10 different packs of powder for water from Crystal Lite to 4C and I think Totally To Go (their Fruit Punch tastes EXCATLY like Kool Aid's sugar Tropical Punch!!!! Laughing) Variety for me is the only key to success when I'm limited. If you're in the mood for something sweet, have a sweet drink! I started my water intake about a month or two before surgery and cut out soda and I managed fine.

Of course, once something is restricted, we naturally want it more Tongue I would next time you're at the store look to see what you can buy NOW before surgery to use now and after.

I hope that helped some, but hopefully others who were on the pre-op diet longer are able to give more helpful advice! Smile

~Dana

01/10/2010 04:04 PM
mem3351

Hi,

Firstly, welcome to our community. I hope you will find answers to any questions you might have, most members on here are quite friendly, and will always try and help you if and when they can.

For anyone who has never heard of a gastric sleeve, it's sometimes used as a 'pre cursor' for people who need a bypass but for health reasons, or complications, need to lose weight first, or medically are unable to have a bypass. A section of the stomach is usually removed, and this surgery is quite quick also, meaning less time in theatre. You have similar post surgery affects to the bypass.

It all depends on what your pre op diet is, and how long. Mine was 2 weeks, and all I was allowed was water, sugar free jelly (Jell-o) and clear soup, with no bits in it at all. I was also allowed sugar free ice lollies, so as Dana said, you could use those as a meal substitute.

I won't lie, it's not easy, and it does take a lot of willpower. I think if you keep in mind why you're having the surgery done, and how it will change your life, then it should be quite easy to get through. Of course, the pre op diet will in effect continue, as after surgery, you can't eat anything solid for months, it depends on your body, but at least a month after you're on liquids, and a month after that, puree'd foods, so you won't have anything solid until probably April. And then it will be touch and go with a lot of food, as most won't stay down anymore.

It took me 6 months after surgery before I could have bread again, 7 months before I could have a small amount of chicken. Rice, pasta, red meats, fruit, anything fried - I still can't have them, 8 months later.

It's a huge decision, so you need to be totally sure this surgery is what you want, as speaking totally honest, a week or two of the pre op diet is nothing compared to the following 6 months! I was physically sick 130 times in 7 weeks after surgery, even water wouldn't stay down.

I didn't have the problem of feeding a family, but I had my surgery with 2 ladies on the same day, and their family told them to not bother cooking for them, they understood it would be too hard for her, so they said they can look after themselves for 2 weeks. And so, she used to go for a walk or to see a friend when they ate a meal. After surgery, it didn't matter, as she couldn't eat it anyway, and as you lose your appetite, the thought of eating a meal after surgery makes you feel sick.

02/03/2010 05:10 AM
mrstexasbmw

Thank you for the comments, I appreciate it. Well I am 7 days post op and doing ok. My most current problem now is dealing with a kidney/bladder infection. I called my Dr. and he said they will call in some meds to help me. It sure is painful. It has kept me up most of the night. Every 2 hours and very painful. Has anyone else experienced this or any other issues. Oh by the way, I did get the Gastric Sleeve.

02/03/2010 05:14 AM
mrstexasbmw

Thank you for the information. After surgery it doesnt seem to bother me about the food anymore. I am drinking my protein drinks, water, small amounts of pureed soup, chicken broth etc. I am still in some pain from the surgery but other than a kidney infection I seem to be doing fine. I appreciate all and any information and look forward to learning even more on this blog.

02/03/2010 06:20 AM
blazyn
blazyn  

Hopefully you'll get some relief from the meds - I've never had a kidney/bladder infection, but have heard the stories, so my sympathies are with you (*hugs*). As far as the food, I'm a month out today and the smell of food doesn't really get to me. I'm still finding I'm only ever hungry at night, so I think that has a part to play. Though last week when I was PMSing I had DH tickled when I was going on and on about the kinds of things I wanted to eat. He said, "You've been so good and healthy, and all of a sudden you want a cheese steak sub?" LOL

Here's some health vibes for you -

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hugs,

Dana

02/04/2010 01:35 PM
mem3351

That is really strange Dana, you saying you only get hungry on a night, because I am pretty much the same. I don't eat hardly anything during the day, although I did try, but have given up with more than a slice of toast. But once I get to the evening, I start to get a craving for something. Maybe there is a common thread here, do any post op patients get hungry mainly at night?

02/04/2010 01:37 PM
mem3351

My understanding of the gastric sleeve is that it's a kind of pre operation for the bypass. From what I understand, you will lose a good portion of weight after the sleeve, and then usually, you will have another operation in due course to have the bypass done, which is the completion of the surgery you have had done. Has it already been mentioned that you will have another surgery in the future?

02/04/2010 02:52 PM
blazyn
blazyn  

I was like that before surgery too - I've never been a big eater, just haven't been able to exercise to keep the lbs off. I'll maybe a few times a few have cereal or breakfast (before surgery) and would rarely eat lunch. I feel I'm the same way now. I chuck it up to the fact I'm drinking all day, too, especially on the days I'm working out I'm taking in up to 60ozs - who WOULD feel hungry? But by dinner, I'm such a carnivore, I have to have some kind of meat, be it chicken or ziti/lasagna or something. It's a rarity if I go a night without meat. Oy vey.

And from my understanding, the sleeve is pretty similar to the bypass - still have most of the same restrictions, diet, hospital time, etc - except I don't think it's as long term *or* it isn't as successful long term. I know it's one of those two, but I can't remember which. But I know most who do get the sleeve eventually many years later end up doing the RNY.

02/09/2010 07:44 AM
mrstexasbmw

Thank you Dana, I am doing better. Still nursing the kidney infection but I think it is being caused by the protein drinks and not drinking enough water. I have lost 37lbs since 1/6 and I am very happy about that. I have also been able to stop my insulin and that is my main reason for doing this. It is all worth it if I am able to totally control my diabetes! Hope you are well.

Hugs,

Bev.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved