MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/16/2012 01:16 PM

eatting too much

patsuch0620

Every time i eat i feel like im absolutely distroying myself. i ate a hot dog the other night. and i cried for hours. my surgery was just under 3 months ago. am i going backwards? or not doing this right? no one seems to understand this feeling that im having.

05/16/2012 05:46 PM
mem3431

So, you ate a hot dog. Big deal. Did you only eat one or did you eat 3 like you used to do presurgery? You need to learn that you can eat, but you must eat in moderation.

I guess you should just consider yourself lucky that you could even eat a hotdog, most people would get dumping syndrome after eating a hotdog. Sometimes, I eat a junior double cheeseburger from McD's--it takes me about an hour to eat it though. And, I don't do it every day.

So relax. Keep track of your calories. Don't over do it. And, don't beat yourself up when you do what seems 'bad'.

05/17/2012 10:35 AM
patsuch0620

i ate one. my mom makes the best hot dogs in the skillet with a bit of butter (and love). Once i get a craving on my mind its hard to turn it off. But it took me about 40 mins to eat the whole thing. and then i spent the next 2 hours crying and hating myself. Its with whatever i eat, yogurt, fruit, meat, ect. i feel like im eating too much and not doing this right. i try to invision that my stomach is the size of an egg, and then i add up all the food on my plate and it gives me a panic attack when it seems bigger. i cant fail at this, ive worked too hard already.

05/19/2012 11:01 AM
mem3431

Your pouch can probably hold about a cup of food, so get the egg image out of your head. I imagine one of those microwavable chef boyardee cups (the small ones). If it fits in one of those, that should fill you up fine without over doing it. 40 minutes to eat is also a good sign. I'd be worried if you gulped it down.

Sounds like you could you some help with your emotions and self-image. Try using a journal or talking to a counselor/therapist. If you don't address the mental reasons for your eating and feeling bad about it, you are going to have a hard time keeping the weight off. Remember, the surgery is a tool...now you need to do your part. HUGS!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved