MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/16/2012 10:21 AM

tubes

jessieh
jessieh  

hello

i was just wondering how long everyone had their ng tubes in? my dr wants it in for 6 weeks. i'm doing good so far but can't lay down due to the tube hanging on my right side i don't want to lay on it.

thanks for ur info

02/16/2012 10:27 AM
mem3351

I think I was quite lucky, as I only had a drain tube in for like 2 days and then it was removed. I only found out recently that some people had those in for much longer, which shocked me.

I am sure others will have had them in longer, so will let someone with more experience reply to you Smile

02/16/2012 11:26 AM
mear93
mear93  

I wish I knew why some doctors keep it in longer? I actually did not have one which surprised me. I was Preped on the care of it then when I woke up I didn't have one.

02/16/2012 11:30 AM
jands1999

if im not misstaking i only had a tube that was feeding my tummy morphine and could leave it in for several days however it kept leaking so i pulled it out after about 2 or 3 days HOWEVER.... i dont know what kind of tube u have n and u might have to keep it n for longer depending on the dr.. good luck and i wish you much success

02/16/2012 01:36 PM
mear93
mear93  

i recived morphine via IV. some docs do a drainage tube. honeslty i dont know why or for what since i didnt get it. thats the 1st iv hurd about the morphine in the tube to the tummy. i guess every doc has his or her own ways.

02/16/2012 03:33 PM
jessieh
jessieh  

i had an iv for pain and a drainage tube they pulled b4 i left the hospital this one is going to my new stomach if that helps and THANK YOU for all comments and support they are much appreciated

02/16/2012 04:19 PM
mem3351

Morphine can be odd stuff, because you need additional drugs to counteract the sickness you usually get from the morphine Smile But it does work and the pain relief is always welcome. They gave me a bottle of morphine after surgery for the pain if I needed it, but I only used it once

02/19/2012 08:11 AM
mem3431

I haven't heard of need the tubes THAT long before. Usually not more than a week. Is anything draining from them? If the draining slows, I would ask the doc if you can get them out sooner. And, remember it's your body...just ask the doc what the tubes are for and how it works. Ask what needs to happen to help him decide when the tubes come out.

I knew of a guy that had to have a tube with a pump attached to it after bypass surgery. This was probably 10 years ago and technology has come so far since then. He had problems with it getting infected so he had to wear the pump to keep it clean inside. It was very cumbersome and gross looking. I felt bad for him. But, once he was able to get it off, everything was smooth sailing from there.

02/25/2012 05:02 PM
jessieh
jessieh  

FYI: talked with the dr and finally got answers ....tube has to stay in for 6 weeks so that scar tissue can form so when it is pulled out scar tissue will close if pulled out sooner will need more surgery to close where the tube was ....he said they do this for all open r&y ...hopefully this will help someone else and my tube still SUCKS three more weeks till its out lol can't wait

02/26/2012 12:59 AM
mem3351

Thank you for the updates. That does make sense, yes, you need to ensure the scar tissue will form on its own, so you won't need more surgery afterwards.

Keep us posted on what happens, and remember, you only have 3 weeks to go - then it can come out and you can put this time behind you totally Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved