Ask a Question
01/30/2012 05:44 PM

life after gastric bypass(page 4)

tami41
tami41  

thanks that great advice

02/27/2012 12:55 PM
bobbibee

Hey guys, I've been off the board for a bit but came back today and started reading some of this ... Tami don't be so quick to dismiss meds. I have osteoarthritis and am in pain all the time; I am taking Cymbalta now. It's supposed to help with my pain, it's also an antidepressant AND it tends to cause people to lose weight. Think about it. Do you really care what tools you use to get to your goal as long as there are no real down sides? I lost another ten pounds after being on a plateau for nine months...wee heee

02/28/2012 09:52 AM
tami41
tami41  

I started walking again and doing ab excersies too. i have the whole family on a healthy food diet, with just slowing down on sweets or limiting them, and i hope this works, ive been on cymbalta before and it hurt when i stop taking it, i dont want to go thru that again. i wish i had more will power.

02/29/2012 07:17 AM
bobbibee

When you say "it hurt" ??? physically? Why were you on it and why did you stop? I will prob be on this til something big happens and they find it in them to do a surgery on my hip and knee. Plus, I have diabetic neuropothy in both feet that this med is supposed to be good for. I don't see coming off it too soon but want to know about this "hurt". eek

02/29/2012 09:15 AM
mem3431

Good to see you back bobbibee!! Smile

02/29/2012 11:27 AM
tami41
tami41  

i have a nervous thing i guess where at night while watching tv i need to have something in my mouth to chew on, do you have any good advice as to what would be healthy? and low low carb?

02/29/2012 11:41 AM
mem3351

It depends what you like to eat, and also depends on what you fancy at the time really.

If I get the snacks on a night, I usually do a couple of long crackers with cream cheese and tomato and I find that is enough to take the hunger craving away. I usually chop the crackers in two, so you end up with 4 small, small crackers, but they still take me at least 2 hours to eat.

Another thing you could try is homous. Not sure about the carb value, to be honest, but I sometimes dip things into some homous and it's really nice. Carrot sticks or cucumber sticks are usually what I have

Lastly, sometimes I make a small pan of chicken soup and have some for supper several nights in a row. Sometimes, you just need something to satisfy that craving

02/29/2012 03:57 PM
JustmeJen

Hi, I am new here only 2 weeks and a day out, but love the support you guys give each other, so far I am feeling great about my doing this gastric bypass, I have friends and family supporting me so that helps so much, I do talk to them when I feel "mentally " hungry for something. as right now I don't feel to hungery.

I am only at 1/2 cup of food a meal and a protien shake daily. I can't imaging how you ever can get in all the protein they want you to get in 60 grams is so much if your not able to eat more then a cup of food. Or does that eventually change? And did you all lose lots of hair ??? Oh so many questions I will go slow thank you for your help!

03/01/2012 02:03 AM
houseband

Hi JustMeJen! I am a bit 'older' than you in my surgery - 1/12/12. I learned the hard way to really keep my food intake very modest. I now try to take just 1 ounce in at a time. I was doing 3 ounces but the food seemed to get stuck for a couple of hours. My problem is in figuring out when I am full. My GI track is not giving me the necessary signals in time so I have to be very mindful of my intake. My surgeon yelled at me today cause I have only lost 28 pounds since the surgery. He is absolutely sure I am cheating with something or other which I am not. I haven't had hair loss yet although I worry over every stray hair that I find not firmly attached to my scalp. My surgeon gave me a list of vitamins that supposedly cut down on the loss of hair.

03/01/2012 06:00 AM
bobbibee

If you are looking for a low fat/cal snack to munch; try Dr. Oz's popcorn recipes. In fact, go to his site and look up his snack recipes in general. He just did a segment on snacks that actually promote weight loss. They looked really good. As for nervous eating habits, what if you replaced it with knitting, or crocheting or something that keeps your hands moving while you watch t.v. No time to eat. lol

Post edited by: bobbibee, at: 03/01/2012 06:00 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 4 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved