MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2012 11:58 AM

Surgery(page 3)

mem3351

It's not too bad weighing yourself through the pre-surgery diet, it's after surgery that you should stop doing it. It's quite common for weight to fluctuate madly after surgery, some lose a lot quickly then slow down, others actually can gain weight before losing.

The problem with weighing yourself is, if you do for example gain, you will be emotionally scared stiff, thinking the surgery has failed or you're doing something wrong, which you obviously won't have done.

The best advice I can give is after surgery, just get weighed at your follow up appointments and resist the urge. Because it is not worth the stress

02/16/2012 12:45 PM
chammond74
chammond74  

Smile Well I am 3 days Post-Op and doing better than I thought I would be. I go for my short walks 4 times a day and I am getting around a little better. Yesterday my first full day home was rough, wasnt getting around too good and I was just really sore. My first night home on Tuesday sucked as well, I was getting up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom and I couldnt get comfortable in bed. I found the only position that works is laying on my right side in the fetal position. I discovered that if I stay on top of taking my pain meds I am fine, I am on the every 4 hour regimen to minimize the pain. I was shocked yesterday when I took my bandages off that I have 2 incisions that are 1-2 inches long and 4 other incisions that are farely small, all are stapled. I really couldnt believe that one of the small incisions is in my belly button! The Upper GI was horrible, that stuff they make you drink is NASTY but I was glad to find out that everything looked good and my surgeon was happy with the results.

02/16/2012 04:18 PM
mem3351

You will find that the pain will pretty much go by the end of the week, a lot of the pain is caused by internal bruising and trapped gas, so by the end of day 5 or 6, usually both have totally been cleared and your body is repairing itself.

I also found getting comfortable in bed hard, but again, that will ease a lot once you get to the end of the week.

I know, I do warn everyone about that horrible drink you get Smile it's so not nice

02/18/2012 11:03 PM
chammond74
chammond74  

Well I just finished up my 5th day Post Op! The pain is getting a lot better to deal with! I am only taking my pain meds every 6 hours. So far so good, I have been able to keep all my liquids down. I was a little worried because my first 3 days I was home I was only able to drink 4oz's of an 8oz protein shake and it would take me all day. Today I was able to finish all 8oz's of my shake. I guess I had to just get used to my small tummy.Laughing I have been walking 4 times a day, which started out as just being able to walk to the mail box the first day to today walking 9 houses past mine to the end of the street. I am not even close to drinking 80 ozs of water but I guess with time that too will increase. Overall I am happy with my progess considering I just had my surgery on Monday. I have my first follow-up appointment this coming Monday and I am anxious to go. The only bad part is I cant drive until I get my Staples out on the 27th, driving me crazy.Tongue

02/19/2012 12:32 AM
mem3351

I am glad you seem to be getting on really well. Proud of you. The first month or so after surgery is quite weird, you have had surgery, but you don't feel all that different, the weight is due to come off but you don't feel any massive differences right away, you hope you're doing everything right but you don't have anyone sitting with you, telling you if you are or not.

You will find the pain will totally ease soon, I haven't known many patients get pain after 8 to 10 days following surgery, unless they have drains fitted or remain in hospital. So, you're nearing the end. Once the gas has all gone, and once the immediate bruising has gone, then you should be well on the path of healing.

Well done with your walking, that's an amazing achievement. You have done well. I took longer to be able to start walking those sort of distances, so you are quick at getting your new life in process. The more walking you do, the quicker all the trapped gas will be gone and it promotes healing too, so it will help all over.

I have never been able to drink all of the recommended quantity of water, so don't worry. It's practically impossible to drink that much water, no matter what they say. Just keep sipping on the water, and drink as much as you can. I used to carry a bottle around with me wherever I went, and would sip constantly through the day.

If you ever get bad headaches, or some dizziness, or both then it's usually a sign at this stage that you're not drinking enough. So, try and up the amount a little if you ever get either of those symptoms.

I wonder why you can't drive until you get your staples out. I don't remember getting that restriction in the UK, maybe it's an American thing. It's only a week, so at least it's not too much longer to wait.

Good luck for your appointment on Monday, I am sure it will go well. Keep us posted on what happens. Don't worry too much about weight loss in the first month or two, any loss is usually minimal and some patients gain a little in the first month which is normal.

02/19/2012 07:29 AM
mem3431

So glad to hear all went well with your surgery and you're up and about! I've had surgical procedures where the incision was in my belly button and the docs didn't want me driving for 10 days. It had more to do with the seatbelt going across your abdomen than the driving itself (and the drugs you're taking). You almost feel like a prisoner in your own home when you can't hop in your car for a trip to the grocery store! Sad For my bypass surgery, he didn't go in my belly button. I suppose all docs have their own way.

I'm the same as Bailey in that I can't get 80 oz of water a day. It's a lot even if you haven't had your tummy reduced. I did find that if the water is ice cold, it goes down easier for me.

02/22/2012 10:40 AM
chammond74
chammond74  

Just another update, I am now 9 days post op and feeling better every day. Since my post op appointment this past Monday I made some adjustments and I am now drinking 64 ounces of water and walking no less than 60 minutes a day. I know everyone on here says not to weigh yourself everyday but it helps to motivate me when I see the numbers going down. I weighed 252 at the doctors on Monday and I weighed 249 this morning. My starting weight was 279 so that is 30 pounds I have lost in just 3 weeks!

Yesterday I had my first real food and everything stayed down, I had 1/2 a string cheese stick for lunch and for dinner I had 1/2 an egg scrambled with some shredded cheese. Everything went well and everything stayed down. I am looking forward to next Mondays post op appointment, I get my staples out and hopefully I will get the green light to move onto Turkey, Chicken, and fish.

Smile

02/22/2012 11:02 AM
tinkerbabe87
tinkerbabe87  
I'm an Advocate

take it as they did the open surgery for you? Why did they do that?

02/22/2012 11:15 AM
chammond74
chammond74  

Nope, they did the Laproscopic, I have 6 incisions!Wink

02/29/2012 02:37 PM
chammond74
chammond74  

Well this past Monday I had my 2 week follow-up and it went well. I got my staples out and graduated to the next phase of my diet which is turkey, chicken, and fish. I have lost a total of 35 pounds since starting this journey and my nurse says that I am ahead of schedule and doing realling well. I am walking 60 minutes a day and drinking 64 ounces of water. I have to work up to 80 ounces by my 6 week follow-up appointment on 26 March. The only problem I have had is constipation, heck if that is the only thing so far I am happy. Since Monday I have introduced turkey and so far so good, everything has stayed down. I was really surprised cause my nurse said that I could have turkey sausage, that is so awesome! Cool

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved