MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2012 03:15 PM

Surgery

chammond74
chammond74  

I am a newbie here and I just found out my surgery date 13 February, 2012. I am nervous but I guess that is to be expected considering this is a life changing surgery. I would appreciate some advice here from someone out there who has already had the surgery and maybe tell me what to expect afterwards.

I am also excited because I know that this is my first step to a new life.WinkI

Post edited by: chammond74, at: 01/06/2012 03:26 PM

01/06/2012 08:29 PM
lineka

I had bypass on 12/9/11. The best advice I can give you is after surgery you need to get out of bed and walk, walk and walk. It is the only way to get rid of the gas pain. I asked my Dr if he had dropped me off the table because I hurt all over. He said it was just the gas. You will get tired easily for a couple weeks. Take it slow and easy. You will do fine. Take the pain meds and drink as much as you can. I still have trouble getting all the fluid in. Sugar Free popsicles are great too

01/07/2012 09:58 AM
mem3351

Good advice there from Lineka, also, take some peppermint tea in with you, as that will help drive the gas out and will ease the pain massively. The hospitals never have it in, so take your own, once you're on unlimited liquids, then ask the nurse to make you some, it's a godsend.

Walking around helps too, but you might be on a drip for a couple of days, so it's not always easy to do that, so the tea will help, honestly.

Read the posts on the forum and the articles, as there is some good advice and tips there for you on getting prepared. The surgery will be fine, don't worry, it'e the months after surgery where the hard work, frustrations and all start to kick in.

Be totally sure it's what you want to have. I have a list of foods as long as my arm I can no longer eat, and my life has changed mostly for the better but in other ways, it's hard. So, you do need to be totally sure it's something you're prepared to accept.

01/08/2012 08:20 AM
maref143

I had my surgery on 12/2/11. I found this site a few weeks before my surgery and it has helped so much... READ READ READ ...That is the best advice I can give you! Some of the postings here will directly relate to where you are or what your questions might be and some will motivate and inspire you to continue. It is a very friendly site and everyone here is very helpful and tries to educate and be honest at the same time. Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing how you surgery goes!

~MaryEllen

01/08/2012 04:27 PM
mem3431

Congratulations on your surgery date! What a better way to show love to yourself, right before Valentines day. Smile I highly recommend reading through the messages in this group, especially the Stickies at the top of each category. We are here for you, and will help out with any questions you may have. Like Maref said, READ!! There's a ton of great information from wonderful people in this group. HUGS!!

01/16/2012 12:41 PM
chammond74
chammond74  

Well I start my strict pre-op diet 2 weeks from today, I am a bit nervous about that because I know I will not be able to eat anything, and it will prove to be a struggle. My plan for the next 2 weeks is to eat some of the foods that I will definitely miss once I start my journey. I know I have to do this to start my new life and journey. I am reading post on here and trying to get myself prepared. I just cant wait to get the surgery over with cause from what I am reading, you are in alot of pain afterwards, especially from the one incision. How long is the hospital stay, I am worried about being sent home too soon because I live alone and I am just worried about after I come home.

01/16/2012 04:09 PM
mem3431

Stick to the 2 week diet prescribed by your doc. A sacrifice for 2 weeks is worth the new life ahead of you. I pigged out and partied away before my surgery. lol It's a nice way to "get it out of your system". Smile The preop diet helps your liver shrink so it's not in the doc's way during surgery--he doesn't want to damage it. If it's too big, they will open you open and then cancel. You don't want to have to get cut open twice if you don't have to!

The side incision is the biggest and slowest to heal. That's where most of the work is done. Keep a good eye on all of your incisions after surgery to make sure nothing gets infected. A gal I know checked all her incisions but for some reason didn't think to look at that one because it's on the side. It got pretty infected and she had to go back into the hospital to get treatment for it. Slowed her healing process down quite a bit. My front incisions are barely noticeable thanks to wonderful scar cream. Smile

Everybody's hospital stay is different. Depends on if there are any complications, how fast you are able to get out and about, and you'll need to pee a few times. My doc also performed a scan of my belly to make sure there were no leaks before I went home. So, I was in the hospital two nights. I didn't need much help once I left the hospital, but it was nice having helpers. I would say the first night home, you might want to ask a friend or relative to stay with you. The pain meds will make you loopy and you'll feel safer with someone around. At the very least, put someone on phone standby.

01/19/2012 01:29 AM
RadioGuy
RadioGuy  

I was in the hospital for 2 days. The pain was managed with a morphine drip. I was hooked up to all manner of things so my wife became quite good at unhooking me so I could walk around the floor of the ward. I was walking 4 hours after surgery. It's so important to walk, you're not setting a speed records but it will make you feel better. I took tea with me and a few other things to the hospital. I was so scared of hurting my pouch I barely drank those two days. Looking back on it, I was fine as will you be. Stick to the pre-op diet and you should do just fine. Best of luck and we'll be saving you a seat on the losers bench.

01/30/2012 09:57 AM
chammond74
chammond74  

Just an update, I started my 2 week pre-op diet today! I cant believe I am having my surgery in 2 weeks, I am a little nervous! These 2 weeks are going to be rough but I know I must stay focused. The protein shake I had for breakfast really wasnt that bad, went to the store yesterday and got stocked up on Sugar Free Jello and Sugar Free Ice-Pops.

01/30/2012 12:29 PM
JackiS

The 2 week pre-op diet gets easier each day. I recently had my surgery on 1/12/12 so I'm a little over 2 weeks post-op. I found the pain to be not as bad as I thought it would be. The hardest part was getting out of the hospital bed, but once I was up it was a lot better, so I walked as much as I possibly could and did not have any gas pains. I also found more comfort in the recliner that was in my hospital room than the bed itself, it was also a lot easier to get out of. I was in the hospital for the night of my surgery and discharged the next day. I had to pass the swallow study, which was an X-ray where I had to drink some kind of yucky tasting stuff and they watch it go down to make sure I wasn't leaking. Once I passed that everything that was hooked up to me came off and they started me on clear liquids. All I had to do was tolerate that and pass urine and I was free to go the next evening. I definitely agree it is easier to have someone there your first night home, but overall, I just mainly slept once I was able to get comfortable.

Honestly, I had myself quite worked up going into the surgery, and it is due to the fear of the unknown. Looking back it was not nearly as painful as I had anticipated. Good luck and definitely take in some peppermint tea!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved