MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/14/2011 08:37 AM

In person support groups

columhughes

Hi everyone, Looking for people who have attended in person gastric bypass support groups? What was your experience, I haven't attended one yet and don't quite know what to expect. I like the convenience and anonymous nature of on-line support groups but feel its time I get out there. Nervous and anxious.

10/14/2011 08:54 AM
mem3351

Hi and welcome.

Not every group will be the same, some will be better than others, so it's going to be hard to generalise.

In my personal experience, there was lots of people there showing off, and eager to show off. Others were quiet and timid and didn't speak much. So, I walked away feeling very confused with no answers to my issues.

You might be lucky, the one near you might be so much better than the one I went to. I hope it is, truly.

You can try it, and see. If it's no good, you know we're here if you come back to us.

I like it here as nobody holds back. Because we lose the face to face side, it doesn't mean we lose the caring and supporting side. If something is going to make your wee blue, we talk about it here. If it will make you throw up, we discuss it here.

You usually find in a one to one environment, people can be a little more reserved and feel it's impolite to be so open, which is really the kind of information you need to know. You need to know the good and the bad, otherwise, how can you find out the truth?

Just my experiences

Post edited by: manxbailey, at: 10/14/2011 08:56 AM

10/14/2011 10:46 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

My doctor required us to attend a support group for 2 meetings prior to surgery. I found that group to be rather large, so I was able to sit back and listen and learn without having to be involved if I chose not to be.

It can be good to touch base with people in real life who have had the same or similar experiences that you have had.

I will definitely be going back to the support group now that I've had my surgery. Bailey is right, though. Each group will be as different as each person and the only way to know if it will be good for you is to go and check it out. You don't have to give up the online group along the way.

10/17/2011 06:05 AM
bobbibee

My experience was not good. There were about 40 peeps there and 4 of them dominated the session with "You WILL..." this or "You WILL..." that. It was too much. I never went back. They didn't listen, they dictated and the facilitator was useless. Then one of the four went off on her "sexual molestation" stuff which was inappropriate and should have never been stated there.

10/17/2011 10:36 AM
mem3351

wow, really? I can't believe someone would be talking about sexual molestation in a GB group, that's a bit far! Maybe that is a cause of their excess weight, the eating for comfort story, but still. You don't need to hear that when you go a support group.

My personal experiences of the groups have been awful. I am sure there are a couple of good one's out there, but they are dwarfed by the many more terrible one's

10/17/2011 12:20 PM
bobbibee

Yeah this lady was completely inappropriate. She needed to not traumatize the group of gb patients and go seek a separate group for that. I do know of another group that get together for outdoor walks and such on a monthly basis but they are too far for me to catch up with. shame

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved