MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/11/2011 04:54 PM

I am SOOO Thirsty

travelinstyl

Hi everyone!

I'm new. I just had the bypass on 10/5 (after running out of it on 8/15 when they gave me some anti-naseau medicine which made me nuts!), I was in an extra day because I kept vomiting blood. Everything is fine, and I'm no longer vomiting, but I'm so thirsty!! I have heard of people missing food, I would kill for a big gulp of any liquid (potable, that is) I'm getting very discouraged...it's nice to have lost weight early on, but if I even take a little sip, sometimes it won't go down for up to 6 hours! I am lucky if I get some broth down, no yogurt or anything. There is no obstruction, they tested that before I left...help!

Physician's Assistant said it should be okay...I've tried the one sip every 15 minutes and it sits like a lump, then goes down...I mean a sip, one swallow. I'm extremely thirsty, and getting very depressed wondering why the hell I did this. I mean I know why I did it...3 little kids who can't play with Mommy because she's too big and her back constantly hurts.

Any advice or encouragement...will I ever be able to drink again? Just regular...I'm not a coffee person, I don't mean alcohol...forget soda, but more than one swallow every 15 minutes? (though for me it's more like and hour easily) Will I ever stop being thirsty...I wake up at night and drink

Kelly

Sad

10/11/2011 11:45 PM
mem3351

Firstly, stop freaking out. You seem fine to me.

I had the same issues, you're not alone. After surgery, I couldn't keep anything down, not even water a lot of the time. I sipped water and it felt like a brick sliding down my chest, it was horrible. But don't worry. Just stick with it.

Vomiting blood is quite normal, sometimes they add a drain and take it away from your chest (as they did with me) and other times they don't catch it in time. So, don't worry, it's totally normal.

You will have nothing wrong, it's just your body getting used to surgery. Some people have surgery, have a few days of liquid and are eating solid food after 2 weeks, no problem. Others take longer. I took longer, I took 6 months before I could have anything that resembled a meal of any kind.

Just keep at it. These things can change on a daily basis. I remember one night thinking my life was a nightmare, the following day I tried a slice of toast and it was fine. Simple as that. It can change overnight.

Everyone gets the 'why did I do this' syndrome, it's normal. Don't forget you used food as a comfort and temporary solution to your emotional problems, so unless you have a psychiatrist or other form of counselling in place, you have no internal way now of dealing with those issues. So, you do need to address that issue.

This is going to change your life, but give it time. You will be like me, you need to give additional time, but it's worth it. I can't even begin to explain how much my life has changed in the last 2 years.

Just tiny, tiny sips from your water bottle constantly. Enough to just wet your lips and feel like a tiny sip. But just constant. You will get through this stage, don't worry.

10/12/2011 06:09 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

Have you tried ice chips? nibbling on crushed ice might help a bit.

10/12/2011 11:30 PM
mem3351

That reminds me of the night after surgery. We were on 'Nil By Mouth' the first night after surgery, and we were given ice cubes to suck on, which was enough to wet our mouth and keep our mouths from getting too dry. (we were on a fluid drip to stop dehydration)

After about 9 hours, it was 2am, I heard a crunching. I shouted over to Marion, and she was laughing. Karen was laughing. So, here we are, all 3 of us blatantly just eating and crunching the ice to try and have something to drink and the sensation of eating something.

The nurse walked in on her round and was 'can I hear crunching in here?'

It was hilarious.

Post edited by: manxbailey, at: 10/12/2011 11:31 PM

10/13/2011 04:20 AM
aBrandNewMe
aBrandNewMePosts: 31

Lol @ manx...funny story! I hope this gets better for you sweetheart. I teared up a bit, not because I cant sip also but Im having similar issues with the stomach acid. Keep up the hard work and I know it will pay off for you. Ive been rewarding myself with some online shopping (instead of food) Ive been trying to prepare and getting some 'transistion' clothes. But thats just me. Helps keep my mind off the acid, which brings me to my knees sometimes. Keep me updated on your success Wink

10/13/2011 06:15 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

Oh my gosh, I was given sponge swabs to wet my mouth. I wasn't allowed to get the sponge too wet, either. No ice. No water... just that little sponge for the occasional swipe of moisture.

10/13/2011 06:54 AM
mem3351

wow, only a sponge seems really excessive! I remember the next day, after the ice, we had that horrid drink and x ray, then we got 10ml of water, which is nothing, 2 baby spoons. Then 20ml an hour later. Then 50ml an hour later. We were all fine, so liquids were unlimited then. Such a relief as the drip came out.

I did have the drain though and that stayed for a day, it was horrible. Couldn't sleep with this tube sticking out of my chest. Taking it out wasn't too nice either.

10/14/2011 06:00 AM
bobbibee

So different isn't it; all of our experiences. I was given tons of cranberry juice and that horrible potassium to drink. Unfortunately, the cranberry juice was not sugar free and sent my diabetes off the charts. By the time I realized it, they decided I had to stay in the hospital for two more days. I had someone go to the store and get me the diabetic friendly juice and made them use my insulin since they were all confused about what to do. These were the same people who gave me a full chicken dinner the day after my surgery. I swear, my doctors group has it all together but the hospital was nuts.

10/14/2011 07:34 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

I didn't have the x-ray procedure. My doc did a leak test during surgery while I was still knocked out. Smile I asked him about it at my first follow up because everybody was talking about the nasty drink and xray. He said that the xray method is now rather archaic and doing it while you're still asleep is better so they can fix any issues right away.

I also didn't have a drain.

I am thankful that I got to avoid so many of these issues.

10/14/2011 07:42 AM
mem3351

Wow you are lucky to avoid all of that. It's funny how surgeons all create their own process for doing this surgery isn't it.

I didn't even know they could do that test when you're still in the theatre, but if they can, makes more sense.

Lucky on no drain too. The long tube they pull out of you, ugh, so not good.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved