MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/09/2011 09:30 AM

Looking for advice...

maref143

My story is a bit different than most... I already am a lapband patient and had lost quite a bit of weight, but along the way I was diagnosed with breast cancer and the radiation treatment has left me with a truly messed up esophagus and stomach. Because of this, the GI opened my band a few months ago in the hopes of it healing. Unfortunately, it did not. I gained about 30 lbs and saw the GI again yesterday. The solution to my problem seems to be to have the band removed and then have bypass surgery to help protect my stomach and esophagus. I admit to being in a bit of shock, because I thought he was going to tighten my band back up and I would be on my way. Now, I have to prepare for a new and life-altering procedure and need all the help and advice you have to offer. I want to go into this (mid December surgery) with enough information to help me adjust while I spend the next two months adjusting psychologically. Advice, tips and information will be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by: maref143, at: 10/09/2011 09:31 AM

10/09/2011 10:35 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

I don't really have much in the way of advice. I'm less than 2 weeks post-op, so my experience is still relatively low with life after surgery.

I do want to send you a supportive hug, though!

10/09/2011 02:11 PM
maref143

Thank you so much ... Please keep me posted on how things are going!

10/09/2011 02:20 PM
mem3351

I would strongly suggest you take time to read the articles on the page, read the old posts, as you will find a lot of information on the surgery, what to expect and what to do to prepare.

If after reading you have specific questions, then we are all here to help!

All the information you need is here. The surgery makes sense and it does work!

10/09/2011 03:03 PM
Stephany715
Stephany715  

Lots of luck to you! I also am relatively new to this, only being about 3 months out...but everything is going great so far. These boards have been a life saver to me. Lots and lots of info!

10/09/2011 08:43 PM
mem3431

We're here for you! Like Bailey said, read through the posts and articles. Also, does your doc offer the gastric sleeve? That one has less dramatic life-altering consequences since your intestinal tract is left intact. But, some docs don't like to do it as it's a fairly "new" procedure. I know some people who have it with no problems, so that is an option to explore. Research is your best friend in this situation--find out all the information you can. And, feel free to ask us questions along the way! Smile

10/10/2011 11:35 AM
bobbibee

I have a question; is the bypass really necessary? I mean you learned to eat according to the lapband lifestyle. Could you simply follow the same diet without a full gb surgery? If you do need to have the gbsurgery; just know that life isn't so different for us. We eat a tiny amount at a time, but we eat just like you did with your lapband. I know a woman who had both done. Her lapband actually flipped over inside her and crimped her esophagus. She wound up having it removed and the gb done. She's done great since. Stick with us and you'll be fine but consider just applying your recent lifestyle to a non-surgically altered stomach. It's will power for sure.

10/10/2011 12:34 PM
maref143

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the radiation did a job on my esophagus and stomach so the only answer to protect them is to bypass them. I suppose the shock is more that I had no clue this was going to be the remedy. Once I wrap myself around the whole process I will be better. I appreciate finding this site to help me through the steps.

10/10/2011 09:10 PM
mem3431

BTW, your pic is beautiful!! You are gorgeous and will only get better as your body heals! Smile

10/11/2011 03:25 AM
maref143

Thank you ... you made my day!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved