MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/08/2011 06:25 AM

1 day post op in the hospital....

aBrandNewMe
aBrandNewMePosts: 31

Well, Im one day out, still in the hospital. Everyone can try to get you ready for this but you really dont know until you actually do it. The pain was fearce. Waking up from anistesia was horrible. I was in so much pain. The day got a little better as I continued to get pain meds. My surgeon did not order me any stool softner, which I made very clear to do before going in, so Im going to be in even more hell later. But I do feel better today. My left incision hurts like hell, they say its the one that was worked with the most. Also I am having those horrible gas pains they talk about. Most of the staff here is excellent. Night shift has a couple dozys but other than that they're pretty good. I just hope I feel better before going home. I dont want to be in this much pain @ home :/ Everyone is different. Some people say they dont have alot of pain, some do. Im the one who does I guess...lol Blink

10/08/2011 06:50 AM
mem3351

Hey, well done, the hard part is done now. Most of your pain will be coming from the gas and from the incision. Did you have a drain put on? Mine hurt like hell when they did that!

You need to get rid of the gas as quick as you can. Try and walk around a little as soon as you feel up to it. Peppermint Tea, or anything with mint in it, anything to clear that gas. It's not a time for modesty of any kind.

I had the same with the nurses, totally. I think you sometimes are lucky, then you're not lucky. You never know what nurses are going to be like until you get in. Most patients are only kept in hospital for like 2 or 3 days usually. Once home, just stay on painkillers and you should be fine soon. I know it's a tough time, we all go through the aches, pains and nasty few days, but it does get better.

At least the surgery was done, it was successful, they didn't have to stop or change their mind half way through, so it's something!

10/08/2011 08:29 PM
bfluphy

The hardest part is over. I completely understand where you're coming from, I had my surgery on 9/27. They couldn't get the breathing tube in, and had to wake me up, and that was really a nightmare.

The first few days are really painful, but take your pain meds and walk as much as you can to help eliminate the gas. Make sure you get enough liquids. Take it slow and easy and before long, you'll be feeling fine.

10/09/2011 09:07 AM
Stephany715
Stephany715  

I too had a lot of pain so I really feel for you. Just keep taking your pain meds. And like they said above, get up and walk when you can. I made the mistake of not walking very much so my pain lasted much longer than it should have!

10/09/2011 09:27 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

Big hugs. I agree with Steph. Take your meds and walk as much as you can.

10/09/2011 08:48 PM
mem3431

Welcome to the losers bench!! Stay away from the scale until your first follow-up visit. Don't worry about how much food and protein your taking in the first couple of weeks. Just take your pain meds, walk as much as you can, rest, and let your body heal. Don't try to rush the diet either. The hardest part is over. Smile

10/09/2011 11:55 PM
aBrandNewMe
aBrandNewMePosts: 31

Thank you so much guys. Im finally at home but still have some severe burning in my left side. Pain meds do help. Thanks again for everyones encouraging words Wink

10/10/2011 09:25 AM
Shaunalynn
Shaunalynn  

My left side was the spot that has taken the longest to heal, too. I think that may be where most of the tugging and pulling goes on... I couldn't lay on my left side until just a couple of days ago, and it's still not completely comfortable to lay on that side.

10/10/2011 11:51 AM
bobbibee

Glad you're home; take your meds and rest. I too had problems with the biggest incision; in fact, it broke open and got a staff infection. That was nice; but we took care of it and it healed.

10/10/2011 09:16 PM
mem3431

Glad you are home!!! Rest that body and keep an eye on your incisisions. The one on the side is the worse. It will take the longest to heal and will be the biggest of the scars. The scar under my breast went away fast! But, I had to go bra-less for awhile because it aggravated the incision. I think he told me that's where they put the camera so it didn't get moved/stretched as much as the rest. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved