MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/04/2010 02:30 PM

Stomach Pain

MsMax

Hello,

I am new to this group and I haven't read all the discussions yet.

I had my surgery 2 years ago. After I recovered from the surgery I started to get severe pain in the gastric area of my body. It lasts from 2 to 15 minutes. The pain is overwhelming but because it lasts a short time I can't take anything to relieve it.

When it first started my doctor ordered a large number of tests including laparoscopic examination and they couldn't find a cause. I followed several different suggestions from my doctor with no change. Finally, last week I decided to go back to protein drinks and then add foods carefully. The pain still hasn't gone away. What is most puzzling is that I can get it while I'm asleep, take a sip of water, or just sitting at my desk at work.

Has anyone else had this problem? If you have, what did you do about it.

Sincerely,

MsMax

09/04/2010 03:24 PM
mem3351

Hi and welcome Smile

To start, can you give me a list of the medications you're currently taking please. I need that to see what you're taking each day. Also, does it seem to happen more at any certain times, or just randomly?

Any other symptoms?

09/04/2010 03:30 PM
MsMax

Hi,

It is random and it the pain is caused by a squeezing sensation around my middle. It feels like a heart attack (I imagine) in my stomach.

I take antidepressants, anxiety medication, blood pressure and thyroid, and HRE medication as well as my vitamins.

Max

09/04/2010 03:35 PM
mem3351

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

ok. Thank you for explaining that for me. It's one of two things that's springing to mind. It's always odd to suggest things, when you have seen your dr about it, but you know, sometimes, they do miss things, and so it's not uncommon for a 'fresh pair of eyes' to think of the solution.

1/ You don't take any sort of anti acid medication, which is quite amazing. Most post surgery patients have issues with too much stomach acid, and you really should take something for that. Ideally, you need something like Lansoprazole, which will reduce the acid for you, although I think it might be prescription only. Try a good quality over the counter one first, and see if it makes any difference. I am guessing that might solve your problem.

2/ Sometimes, spasms in your bowels can feel like it's coming from your stomach but in fact it's not. Do you ever have any unusual bathroom episodes, like symptoms of IBS or alike? Because it's quite common for the stomach to spasm when that happens, and if it does, it can be quite painful. And it's common for it to be misdiagnosed initially as stomach issues, when it's not. There is a drug called Mebeverine, which is designed to stop these spasms. You usually find it in something called Fybogel, which is a drink you mix up, and it stops the stomach from spasming, and it can also stop the IBS symptoms as well .

I would try both of those first, you can do them at the same time if you wish, and see what happens. I would hope it might help solve things.

09/04/2010 03:40 PM
MsMax

Thank you so much for your prompt and detailed reply. I wish I had thought of asking a group this question a year ago. I don't know if it will help but ut us better than a shrug of the shoulders.

Thanks again.

Max

09/05/2010 04:28 PM
cappymuir
cappymuir  
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to our group. I know that Manxbailey gave you food for thought. I have to take ant acids due to one of my medications don't handle the small stomach very. I went through a test that cost over $2000 and to show that I did not have any ulcers. I get spasms from IBS and I have a disease called IC (bladder) and that can swell up and cause me to have pain that feels like a heart attack. Also it could be gallstones if you still have you gall bladder. There are many things it could be, yet asked your doctor. Cappy

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved