MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/22/2010 06:58 PM

Anxiety

PattyMaxwell
PattyMaxwell  

Ok I have been having trouble sleeping the last couple of weeks and even have started a new med for RLS (restless leg syndrome). My husband said that I seem to never be able to sit still for any reason. LOL I have always seemed to bounce my foot on one side or the other most of my life. He said that even when I do sleep it is like I am walking in my sleep without getting out of bed. I am not sure if this is from waiting for the surgery and all the change I am doing in my life for it or something else. I was diagnosed with major depression reacquiring over 8 years ago and have been taking meds for it since that time, I was taking zoloft for the first 4 yrs now they changed me to cymbalta and in the last 6 months I had my dose upped by the doctor from 60 mg. in the AM to 60 mg in the AM and 30 mg in the PM before bed. My family doctor said maybe we need to increase that even more. I am a bit worried about doing that since when I started on Cymbalta over 4 yrs ago 60 mg was the highest dose that could be given, I would rather try something new before I take more of the one I am on. Has anyone else had this happen that might have the same problems I do other than needing the surgery for weight loss?

Thank you all for helping me in advance. I love that I have found a place to talk to someone about all the things going on in my life and find help with it. Dizzy

06/22/2010 07:50 PM
tigger61
tigger61  

I have sleep apnea and my sleep doctor told me that my remedy of taking benedryl could worsen restless leg syndrome. My hubby tells me that at times it is like I am a horse in bed and I have kicked his shins many times. I don't recall a thing.. not even a bad dream. I don't know about depression medicine.

06/22/2010 07:59 PM
PattyMaxwell
PattyMaxwell  

I also have sleep apnea but have not had the leg problem sense the meds started but still having problems going to sleep and staying asleep. This is part of how I felt when I first was told I had depression. I see my depression doctor in about a week and the nurse for my bypass surgery in one week from today. I will talk with them both and go from there. I am not sure what else to do at this point. I do not take anything that a doctor has not given me before bedtime so I am sure if any of my meds would cause this problem it would have happened before now. I have not started any new ones other than the one for RLS but I was already not sleeping before it. Thank you Tigger

08/15/2010 06:30 PM
Smookie325
Smookie325  

I know this is an old post. Curious as to how it's going. I currently take Lexapro and Cymbalta 60 mg. I've been having alot of depression the last 3 weeks so tomorrow I'm going to see the Dr changing something. I've had to change my meds a few times for them to keep working. I won't give up the Cymbalta if I can help it. It also helps with diabetic neuropathy and I really ache alot more when I'm not on it.

I'm curious if anyone has had issues with Med. absorbtion. I have a friend that is a little over a year out. She's bi polar and having a really hard time because her meds won't absorb like they should. She can't afford the shots and insurance won't pay for them

Anyone else ?

Kim

08/15/2010 06:39 PM
PattyMaxwell
PattyMaxwell  

Kim

I am doing great so far. I have not felt that I am not getting my meds as of so far. I go to see my family doc. the 18th about my blood sugar bouncing around since I am not taking my pill for that they may put me on the shots but we will see what happens. I am doing real good so far so I send you good luck and wish you the best with your journey as I have had so far. Keep us up dated on yours please.

08/16/2010 06:26 AM
Pesa
Pesa  

I wish I could help but I seem to have the opposite problem...sleeping TOO much Sad

I have really bad anxiety too, and I've developed some bad depression since my surgery. Have you experienced that as well?

08/16/2010 08:42 AM
Smookie325
Smookie325  

Pesa... I haven't had surgery yet. Still waiting to see the surgeon. I went to the Dr today to change my depression meds around a bit so I'm hoping that will help. I've also started counseling in hopes to work on the depression and eating issues before I have surgery.

I hope you are doing well Us pre-ops are out here watching and soaking up all the experience from all of you!

Kim

08/16/2010 09:22 AM
mem3351

It's very common. As I have explained in my articles before, it's a result of losing the one comfort you always had before surgery. Food. I was just as bad, even if you didn't think or realise you were doing it, we were using food to reassure ourselves, or to make us less anxious or worried at the time. And then, after surgery, you have lost the comfort blanket that you once had. It's always a problem, and you know, depression in post surgery patients was running at a high percentage according to the recent poll.

This is why it's so important to not only change your eating but change your life. You need to start new things, exercise more, get out more, meet new people, and change everything, not just your eating. And I ALWAYS suggest to people that they seek a counsellor or some form of therapy where they can talk about issues that might have been affecting them beforehand.

It's really really important and, if you don't have counselling open to you, then at least try and work out when your over eating started and what might have caused it. Think about anything and everything that was going on at the time, as it's amazing the little things that might trigger it.

If you know the cause, it might help you create the solution.

Post edited by: manxbailey, at: 08/16/2010 09:23 AM

08/16/2010 12:20 PM
PattyMaxwell
PattyMaxwell  

Bailey,

Thank you for offering the advice you have for this I am so happy to have people like you around to talk to here. I have a very good support system at home as well and my husband is just so very great to me and telling me how well I am doing and how proud of me he is for sticking to this and doing so well. He said he would not have made it past the fist day of the liquid diet hehehehe. I made it threw two weeks and a little more after surgery. I have had depression for a lot of years and will be on meds for it the rest of my life but I feel better today than I have in a very long time. I am getting back to the old me.

I agree with Baily fully on finding the bottom of why you were using food to fix your feelings mine was boredom eating more than any other. I was bored at home most nights when my husband was working nights and still is. I have made new friends and do not sit alone each night any more. Please take time to find a way to see why you were eating so much or in the way you were this surgery is only a tool to help lose the weight not the fix to the problem of why we have the weight we do.

Good luck to each of you and I wish you the best of out comes on this.

08/16/2010 12:45 PM
mem3351

Aw good, well done Smile I am proud of you. It takes a lot to not only sit and think and realize how it's happened, but it takes courage to actually face up to it, get help, get treatment and deal with it. And you do come through the other side. So, you should be proud of yourself as well angel.

Over the last few years, I have met so many people who try and find excuses or try and think of reasons why they got big, never their fault though, always something else, or genetic Smile But ultimately, it's the food we put in our mouths, and that's the reason. I was so depressed growing up, I know what it was with me, it was always going to happen. And my Dr said sorry for not identifying earlier what the issues were.

It takes strength and courage to know that there is something not right. Sometimes, it's not even something we're aware of. Sometimes, things happen as a child that we don't actively think about, it's only when you talk about it, and then things come out and you realise that those things have changed your life for the worst.

Good, see, changing your life helps, you're out, you're not sitting thinking about food, or feeling sad, you're doing something, changing your life, surrounding yourself with other people and that helps so much!

Keep it up!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved