MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/29/2011 10:51 AM

IBS and weight loss??

Queen123
Queen123  

When my IBS started It started out gradually then got worse and worse. I thought maybe I had ulcerative colitis like my mom or ciliac, went to gastro and had many many test then was diagnosed with IBS but by that time it was sooo bad I lost so much weight so quikly, I thinj it was a mix between the IBS and the fibro I didn't know I had. It was really bad- I would leave my desk at work so many times a day to find a bathroom it was embarassing even though I was the only one who knew. HAs weight loss been a problem for anyone with IBS or FMS? Unsure

10/30/2011 01:26 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

Usually people with FM gain weight because of the meds and we stop being as active because of the pain. We also suffer from constipation because of the pain meds. We do however have direah too. You really need to be checked for Crohn's disease. My husband has it and he went from 270 down to 195. He will loose 10-12 pounds in a matter of days. He has chronic diareah and pain. It is definitely something to check out.

Hugs,

SHELL

11/01/2011 04:51 PM
Queen123
Queen123  

well I am not on very many meds yet because I just got diagnosed in june and have only seen my ruem doc 2 times and have not had any of my overlapping con dx yet. I cut out my red meat intake and that has helped my IBS a lot! When my fibro acts up I get flu like symptoms and sometimes I am sick for months at a time and can't eat and I lose weight but what started it was the IBS. I just didn't know it at the time I did not have a dx of either so I was way sicker then. I am really med sensative so I have to find one that won't give me such bad side effects and then I could probavly gain some weight back! I was just wondering if that was a problem for anyone else...

11/03/2011 04:38 AM
mowgli
mowgli  

Hi Queen123

IBS can present in various ways that effect the GI tract:

IBS-C: Constipation is the main symptom.

IBS-D: Diarrhea is the main symptom.

IBS with alternating C & D: Both constipation and diarrhea occur, alternating over a period of weeks and months. This occurs over a longer period of time.

IBS-M: M is for "mixed." Both constipation and diarrhea occur, alternating over a period of hours and days. This occurs over a shorter period of time.

http://www.ibsliving.com/whatis_types.aspx

So diarrhea is a common form of IBS

I have chased my GI issues (chronic constipation and GERD, gut pain) and associated joint and muscle pain for many years (15+)

I tried every type of fiber and acid reducer to no avail. Diet is probably a big part of it (stearing clear of wheat, yeast and processed foods) but it is hard to do this consistently. Celiac is a major cause of IBS and is difficult if not impossible to detect through blood tests alone. A clinical diagnosis (doctor evaluation your symptoms) is what determines Celiac (celiac disease, celiac allergy, wheat intolorence, etc.) The conclusive way is to eliminate all wheat related foods and products and see if your symptoms subside. Thye must be eliminated for a long time to get real improvement.

Also, in my case, someone suggested I be tested for Lyme Disease because my symptoms were consistent with Lyme's and low and behold guess what I have! For me though, I also had many neurological (numbness, taste sensations, skin sensations) and psychoneurological symptoms (short term memory loss,'brain fog', anxiety, depression, mood swings).

After my experience, I like to mention to those who present with FMS and IBS to consider getting a Western Blot blood test or better yet, get evaluated by a LLMD (lyme literate doctor), since this could be the cause.

See the Lyme forum for more information.

If you have any more questions about IBS, I am happy to try and answer or steer you towards some resources.

Good luck to you!

Post edited by: mowgli, at: 11/03/2011 04:45 AM

Post edited by: mowgli, at: 11/03/2011 04:45 AM

11/20/2011 07:48 AM
Queen123
Queen123  

I was Dx with IBS a couple years ago but I was just wondering if anyone else had expeirenced weight loss? I think I lost weight because I also had fibro at the time but did not know yet and alot of my vitamins were low and I didn't know that at the time either. I was very ill with all these different syptoms and lost a lot of weight because It was hard to eat, if I did eat it came right back out within like 10 minutes and I was always runnin to the bathroom all day. My body didn't have enough time to absorb the things it needed. Now It's better I have cut out a lot of my red meat intake and alot of my fast food intake and that has helped. I get Cons- more these days and that could be do 2 some of the meds I am on. But thanx for the support

11/30/2011 02:44 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

I know that I lose weight when I have diarrhea but I gain if it swings back the other way. I am eating a lot less because food hurts my stomach so I am losing weight. Have you had your gallbladder checked? I had the same problem with running to the bathroom minutes after eating and had my gallbladder checked and it was only working at 5%. I had it taken out and it helped a lot after a while. Every once in a while it still happens but I have noticed it is if I eat fatty foods.

Hope you feel better soon.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved