MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/24/2010 09:26 PM

What was it like for you in gym classes?

RockOnSMILE
RockOnSMILEPosts: 153

Always told I was lazy.

I just never felt well!

I spoke up until I felt like there was no point in saying "I really don't feel good" anymore.

I believe Fibro, among other diseases, run through your the course of your body your whole life and worsen at different times.

So for me, that whole that student is lazy so let's call on her last even though she's going to say she's not playing anyway.... That started in middle school.

It also ended there.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your experience like?

07/25/2010 06:12 AM
rachael89

The fibro started in my knees so I used to have doctors notes when they were still investigating what was wrong with me. But everyone used to think I was faking it to get out of gym class which used to really annoy me. I hated everybody thinking I was lazy etc..

07/25/2010 08:30 PM
chickiepoo
chickiepoo  

I had to walk instead of run laps around the school. When I had several different orthopedic things going on I was told to walk around the gym while all but 2 others went on with class. I was made fun of a lot too. This was right while they were investigating my condition too. I always hated gym!!! I never really fit into any one clique. I wasn't allowed to date or party my parents were strict & religious. Hey I turned out ok and I am not bitter. In fact I really respect and love my parents. Anyway school wasn't a good experience. I was never good grade wise. And I do believe that you are born with fibro. and I think mine affected my brain all my life. Fibro fog my whole life, is that possible? lol I also think I may have some form of dyslexia, my father has it. He now admits I probably have it. Well gotta go. Love ya all one of your group leaders--chickiepoo

07/31/2010 05:51 PM
rachael89

I wa sthe same waling round the school pitch instead of running but my knees still used to ache. However my grades were fairly good although I had dyscalculia from a very young age (not severe but still pretty bad). But at 15/16 my fibro became more prominant and I for the first tome I expreianced my fibro fog. I didn't know what this was and was fairly distressed. My memory completely went I used to be able to revise a page of german language and now I couldn't remember a couple of sentances of english. And I couldn't revise my mind just went blank. The methods I used to use didnt work and they still don't. Which is something I struggle with today! xxx

08/01/2010 07:39 AM
lolwithmybffs
lolwithmybffs  

Fibro started in my spine. When I was in a brick school I was called weak, wimpy, a softy, lazy, and ect. I was always picked last because everyone knew I was a bad player at everything but basketball... On days that it was basketball I was picked first because I had been playing basketball before I can remember and somehow everyone knew it... I used to play my very hardest, and my team never lost, I would go into the locker room and turn on the shower and cry my eyes out because of how much pain I was in.. When I tried to talk to my gym teachers they would ignore me and say it was all in my head and that I just didn't want to do gym class.. So my first solution was I picked up and instrument (flute) and pretended to play my way through high school (I'm actually a harpist but the school had no harps and only the band was during gym). This cut my gym in half. This worked until my dad got custody of my and then I went in Cyber school. I'm now very happy in my senor year and my school is very flexible about my fibro. They have cut my gym hours in half and just want my to exercises when I can understanding that some days I can climb the harder rock climbing wall and some days I'm just doing good to walk in the kitchen.

08/01/2010 05:34 PM
Riz777
Riz777  

Gym was a bad experience here. I actually bruised some bones before I was diagnosed so I sat out of gym til the next year. Not long before I was diagnosed I couldn't do ANYTHING in gym. Well that is anything besides sit and look lame while everyone does stuff. So at first I walked around the school too. Then that was too much for my legs and with the fatigue. Then I couldn't even do little things like play badminton. They actually exempted me from the class and I finished High School without finishing all my gym credits. I was called all those things and it was sad but after a while you get over it and realize they just don't realize you hurt.

08/18/2010 07:29 PM
Annachristine
Annachristine  

I havent had gym since before I was dx'ed with fibro (thank God) because I was in orchestra but on my schedule it says I have it next semester. Sad There are nice people at my school, I am a fast runner, and I can beat almost anyone at arm wrestling but I dont know how it will turn out or how long I can keep it up for :? I'm sorry you guys have had a rough time but everything happens for a reason even if you cant see it now Smile

08/20/2010 04:46 PM
photogirl202
photogirl202  

ugh, gym is and was the worst for me!

our coaches (most of them) are @$$holes (sorry) and even though im on a self limiting program for everything in gym and such they would like take points off from me and yell at me so honestly, i hated it.

but i was out of gym for like the last 3 months of freshman year and the first like 6 months of sophomore year last year so i had some time off.

it did make me mad though because i was always a jock playing sports and everything and i couldnt play in gym so i had to watch, and even when i can play and i cant do it really so it makes me really upset ):

08/21/2010 12:10 AM
nalee94

Well i'm still in high school but i'm put on a 504 plan (look in to it if you are still in school-even college). It provides students who have disabilities (us), with various accomodations like eliminating gym credits for graduation requirements. But anyways, when i didn't have the 504 in place, my teachers, friends, and classmates were all really supportive in my aerobics class. I would explain to them about my situation and i would just sit out.

08/21/2010 07:13 AM
Riz777
Riz777  

They wouldn't put me on a 504 plan. They said I wasn't disabled.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved