MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/04/2009 04:45 PM

Trouble swallowing anyone

mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

This is pretty new to me, about two weeks. It feels like the food goes right beyond my throat and then gets stuck right there. At first it didn't hurt but now it does actually cause pain too. It's beginning to happen almost everytime I eat now, only solids though, not liquids. Also, don't know if this is related but at about the same time, I started to develop hiccups several times a day, every day. I never, ever get hiccups. I looked everything up and know I will need to discuss this with the doctor but I want some feedback from my friends here. Any advice, suggestions or whatever is welcome Wink

Thank you!!

10/04/2009 04:47 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

That subject heading I used without a question mark was quite funny Laughing Laughing , didn't do it on purpose but still, it was funny Whistling Whistling

10/04/2009 04:59 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

LOL @ Connie ~~~

Yes, that heading is rather ominous, isn t it ? *ROFL*

Of course, my first thought was to tell you to ask your dr. and I m sorry I have no clue as to what is causing this condition.

Maybe someone else here has had something similar and will be able to shed more light .

It kinda sounds like food is getting into an air pocket of some sort there , hence causing hiccups but I just don t know, hon .

Sorry ~~~ I m sure it cannot be a comfortable feeling for you .

{{{HUGS}}} Marilyn

10/04/2009 05:11 PM
britseybes
britseybes  

mammy,

i experience the same issue! i talked to my internist about it, and she sent me to an ent to get my throat checked. he didn't find anything. when i finally saw my reumie, he said that he sees trouble swallowing with a lot of fibro patients! i'd still ask your doctor of course, but that's what i've been told Smile i hope this helps! btw, i'm not sure there's much they can do if it is being caused by your fibro :/

brit

10/04/2009 05:16 PM
goojman
goojman  

I have had the same issue with both show up just recently, my hiccups will be so violent they hurt! I have an apt with my md to discuss this with her. just two more things to add to the list of problems! Smile. Please let me know if you find out before I do and i'll do the same! btw Funny title it took me a minute, thanks to the fog!

10/04/2009 05:45 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Also Connie, I know the MS thing is up in the air, but it is one of the signs of that too. I've been having the swallowing issue. Not so much the hiccups thing though. The neuro told me to speak with the GP right now.

10/04/2009 06:44 PM
britseybes
britseybes  

i should say that i don't have the hiccup issue. my internist also suggested seeing the gi doc for a endoscopy would be a good idea. i didn't think about all that until just a bit ago Smile

10/04/2009 06:49 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

I was afraid of that LOL!!!

Thanks all for your help.

10/04/2009 07:43 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

I just recently got hiccups for the first time in years and have recently had times when I absolutely could not get my throat to swallow even my own saliva! I got half of the mechanism only. i get to my adams apple with the swallowing and it hangs up...I've also had a flare of dry eyes and mouth and sinuses too and thought it might have something to do with that.

10/04/2009 08:06 PM
MaxPain

Sounds like SJOGREN syndrom,I have the same It comes and goes,with flares,dry nose,or excess runny nose,,No tears,or excess tears, saliva is the same,Wake up at night with my throat so dryed up that I'M chooking,,

Be sure to mention it to your MD.Or it could just be a reaction to a new prescription..

Hit me if you want to know more..

take care

sincerely

stephan

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved