MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2008 09:17 PM

OK saw a doctor today- is anyone taking kolonopin?

meleggs
meleggs  

Ok I need some moral support. I haven't had a regular primary for a while because during my flareup they really dissapointed me with their bedside manor and lack of understanding of the condition.

I saw one today- she came recommended as being a nice doctor. Well- she was nice but everytime I have to see someone new and write down the meds I'm taking and circle that I've have had problems with depression and anxiety- well that gives ME anxiety before I go in.

All I wanted to establish is a doctor to address regular stuff. I need the overall bloodwork done and havent done that in a while.

Anyway I can say she was nice but obviously saw I had fibro but didn't mention anything about it. The only thing she did mention is that she wanted to know what doctor was giving me kolonopin. Ok- it's a benzo- not happy I have to rely on it to get good sleep but it is what it is. I actually weened myself down from one mg to .5mg about a year ago. I'm doing fine with that so I was trying to cut that half in a quarter.

WHY- much like with some pain meds I know doctors don't like us being on those meds either even if I'm on a baby dose. I DO have fear one day I am going to be forced to get off of it and I don't need to get worse because of it.

The quarter of a pill isn't going so wellSad I've been doing it for 3-4 days but I'm not sleeping as well. Going down to half was fine but a quarter isn't giving me enough sleep.

Why is this such a big deal? My fibro doctor has no problem with me taking it. I always leave doctor's offices feeling bad about myself and the fact I'm on this drug even if it is helping me. She didn't tell me to get off of it but you know the look.

I don't understand why they didn't have a problem giving me sleeping pills but they do giving me kolonopin? Ambien which I hated the way it made me feel was ok. I'm not uping my dose I've decreased it but maybe I am going to need it forever.

Ok I'm babbling but basically I'm tired of feeling bad about myself and my symptoms of fibro I don't have control over. I did ALL the nature stuff to sleep and it got me no where. Trazodone gave me nightmeres during the few times during the night I could fall asleep. Elavil did the same.

Again it just goes to show that doctors don't get this condition. If I had lupus she might have wanted to know how I was doing but putting fibro down in my records was not even addressed as if not important.

Ok it's off my chest. I''m back to .5mgs at least for tonight. I have to get sleep. Otherwise the pain is higher and the fog is higher.

It's just like with the pain meds. Doctors are so relunctant to give it to us even if it helps.

I hate seeing new doctors- I really do

Blush

04/24/2008 10:26 PM
Mydragonfly
Mydragonfly  

I have been taking klonopin for a few years now. And before the kingpin, I was taking xanax. I take it so I can sleep and because I get panic attacks and the Klonopin helps to calm me down.

My doc said for me to take 1mg. 3times a day. I dont take it that often, but I do take it every night so that I can sleep.

If something is working for you. Dont let them take it away from you. There are not a lot of meds that work with FM. So for me, I tell my doc when something is working and I dont want to be taken off it unless it stops helping me

Dragonfly.

04/24/2008 11:05 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

I hate seeing doctors too because they can be so cold. It seems to me doctors like patients to be on 20 different meds that don't work rather than one that does.

I say you keep doing what you know works for you and don't let those doctors bring you down.

I get so frustrated with my NP that I sometimes wish someone would give us those big red boxing gloves and let us at eachother. The way she acts I think she would enjoy it too lol.

04/25/2008 04:26 AM
jadecrowe
jadecrowe  

i agree with Dragonfly...if it works for you, don't let them take it from you. and don't let them make you feel bad about having to take it.

04/25/2008 04:54 AM
psk
psk  

Klonopin is the least addicting of all the benzos. It is a proven treatment for panic attacks and anxiety. I took it for years along with ambien and never became addicted, even at 4x the dose you're taking. Prior to the Klonipin, I was on xanax, which concerned the doc a bit. I now take vallium, which is probably the most addicting, but I use it mostly as a (last resort) muscle relaxant. I need to see my psychiatrist to get my scripts, and It took years before she trusted me enough to prescribe them. Drs. can be so full of themselves sometimes.

04/25/2008 05:14 AM
meleggs
meleggs  

I really hate to see new doctors- I really do. I wanted to say "Do you think I LIKE taking kolonopin or any drug for that matter?" Geez- it helps me sleep much much better even though I cut the dose in half. Doesn't any doctor with half a brain these days know lack of sleep makes fibro worse???

In my opinion I'm not even on as many meds as some people. I'm only taking now 5mgs of lexapro and ultram and flexril a time or two a day. It's just annoying!!!!

04/25/2008 05:22 AM
LibraJo

meleggs,

I'll support you 100%, as soon as these docs see depression & anxiety it's like a red flag & most of them are not willing to look past it. Most doctors associate all of your problems with depression.

I've tried every sleeping pill out there. I had the nightmare thing with the Elavil & Trazadone also.

My doc gives me Temazepam to help sleep, I'm still on 30mg though & it's a Benzo. I'm going to try & cut back to 15mg shortly, but the doctor that first gave it to me started me at 30mg - not to smart.

My Psychiatrist prescribes my xanax & I'm really good about taking it on an as needed basis, I take 0.25mg baby dose.

Keep taking your Klonipin & try not to let what the other doctor said bother you. If some of these doc's could walk in our shoes for a day - Geez!

04/25/2008 05:40 AM
meleggs
meleggs  

The sad thing is I wasn't depressed or anxious until I started having to go to the doctors and I wasn't getting help!!! That was why I started having emotional issues. You can only take so much and I'd come home from the doctor crying my eyes out.

I bet you any money if you asked most doctors of what they thought about fibro they probably would say it is being over diagnosed and people with it just want meds.

I'd like to be able to find out before I see a doctor if they even believe it in. My husband asked me if I asked her about the hormone tests I am going to have done or actually had done this morning for Hamptom's doctor.

I had to roll my eyes at the poor guy and say "You can't say that kind of stuff to most doctors... they don't want to hear you are trying some alternative therapies- makes you look even more like a nutjob". He doesn't get it and neither did I until I got bad and started talking about this with them and some doctors even reprimanded me for seeking non-traditional help. I'm very selective as to what I say now!!!!

04/25/2008 05:57 AM
LibraJo

That's the problem, alot of us get depressed because the doctor's don't know how to help our pain. It gets very frustrating going back & forth to the doctor and finding most times you do not get relief.

I'm hoping I hit the jackpot with this new guy as he is using an alternative therapy with me.

04/25/2008 06:03 AM
cadburry
cadburry  

Thats exactly why most of us get depressed. I didn't want to be put on antidepressants, but because no one is helping me I have become so distressed that I feel like I need something now.

It's really sad that all your life you think the doctors are there if you ever need them and then the minute you need them they seem to turn their back on you.

I hope that they come up with a way to physically show Fibro in the near future so that we can finally get the medical care we all so desperately need.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved