MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/28/2009 04:57 PM

Switching Lyrica for Neurontin

naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am dropping my Lyrica tonight and starting my Neurontin. I asked my doctor for Neurontin as I did my homework and discovered that they are very similar, even being made by the same company, there are less side effects, and Neurontin is available as a generic. So, I thought I would start on a weekend, so that I could give my body time to adjust in case of side effects. I have saved a week and 4 days of Lyrica, just in case I don't tolerate the Neurontin. Will keep you posted how it goes.

08/28/2009 05:01 PM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

This is good Naddya. I so want to know how it goes for you. I am now off of Lyrica and I am thinking about asking my doctor about the Neurontin. Keep us posted on how you like it. My main issues with Lyrica was weight gain and fatigue. I also continued having pain, sometimes pretty bad. I am curious if Neurontin does a better job than Lyrica, without the weight gian of course.

Good Luck this weekend. I know you want it to work.

Elizabeth

08/28/2009 05:23 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good for you, naddya ~~~ about 2 months after I started Lyrica, my Rhuemy wrote me a 'script for Neurontin. I took it for a month and felt no different . When I mentioned this to him at the next appt., he said ""then stop taking it"" and we ve never discussed it again.

If I thought Neurontin was as good as Lyrica, I would drop Lyrica and start taking it also. Unlike many others, I seem to tolerate Lyrica well (except for a weight gain) but I really could do something else with the $30.00 it costs me every month.

I will be very interested to see how well it works/or not for you ~~~ Smile

Hi Elizabeth ~~~ Smile Haven t seen you here in awhile ~~~ Hope everything is okay !!!

Marilyn

08/28/2009 05:24 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good luck, Naddya! I hope it goes well. It likely will. I have heard of a few people having adverse reactions to neurontin, but much less than with lyrica.

08/28/2009 05:30 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

The Lyrica worked well for me, no complaints there. Some dizziness and such, and weight gain but I was underweight to begin with. But my copay was $50, and it was killing me. The Neurontin is only $8.72! Even if it works less well, the rheumy knocked me down on my dose of Lyrica and had me taking it only a bedtime anyway, so I'd already lost most of the pain relief of the Lyrica anyhow. If the Neurontin helps me sleep, I'll take it.

08/29/2009 01:26 AM
recovered26
recovered26  

Neurontin and Lyrica are essentially the same thing. The company that made Neurontin reformulated it and sold it under a different name - Lyrica.

I take Neurontin for PTSD, and tried it at 2400mg for fibro and it didn't help me, but I think if Lyrica helped you, then Neurontin probably will too. Please let us all know how it goes!!

08/29/2009 06:06 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My rheumy wrote me the script for 100mg Neurontin two caps at bedtime for sleep. I am coming off Lyrica 150mg at bedtime. Don't think it really helped all that much for pain, as the pain came back with a vengeance when he dropped me from 150mg twice a day. Don't think I will get any pain relief from the Neurontin at all, but if I can get similar sleep benefits and have less side effects, for a cheaper price, I will be happy.

On a side note, I had been sick earlier in the week, and slept almost 12 hours last night, woke with a headache, and just generally feel like warmed over dog poopoo, so I'm wondering if I'm getting the flu, or a touch of withdrawal from the Lyrica, even though the Neurontin is so similar. Sick Sad

08/29/2009 07:20 PM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

I switched about 2 yrs ago. My nuerologist gave me very detailed instructions on how to go off one and start the other. I don't remember now what they were.

I felt really hopeless (almost suicidal) and gained a lot of weight on Lyrica. It didn't help my pain at all.

I've gained more weight on the Neurontin, but at least it helps the terrible neuropathy pain I've been having for the past few years. And I take the cheap generic, Gabapentin.

08/29/2009 08:51 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

The generic is what I'm taking too, it's almost a godsend to me if it helps my sleep. Lyrica $50/month, Gabapentin $8.72/month LOL you do the math. Hoping the transition will go as smoothly as possible, but glad I opted to do this on a weekend!

09/09/2009 06:04 AM
peanutwiggins
peanutwigginsPosts: 36

Hi All...I'm new to the boards and appreciate reading all of your experiences with Lyrica, Neurontin, etc. I have been on neurontin for about two months, seems to help some, but I don't think I'm quite at the right dose. From what I've read, and heard, there's a different therapeutic dose for everyone. I'm on 300mg, 3x a day. According to my research, that's a lose dose. Most people take anywhere from 1800mg-2400mg a day. For those of you who are currently taking it, do you mind sharing what dose you are taking? Thanks for your help and I look forward to reading, sharing and posting in the future. God Bless all of you!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved