MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/26/2009 09:33 AM

Dr's Precribing Suboxone-Tina's Med

HAMPTON7026
HAMPTON7026  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Okay since Tina starting Suboxone and has been doing so well I decided that this is something I want to try and I know that many of you have tried and failed to get it as I have with my PCP. So I'm going to give you the link to the site and tell you how to find a dr who can and might give it to you.

http://www.suboxone.com

Once you get to the site on the upper right will be a find a dr box, enter your zip code and mile range you are willing to go to get it. It will then bring up a page of dr's who have had the training to prescribed the drug. But thats not the end of your seach. You will then need to call each one and ask if they are only treating patients that are addicts or are they treating chronic pain patients. Most will only be treating addicts but some are using it for treating pain.

I was lucky in the fact that I live in Florida and Ohio so I had many to choose from. I've have found a dr her in Panama City, Fl that only uses suboxone for chronic pain he doesn't accept addicts. My appt is scheduled for 9/4 to see if I'm a cadidate. I'm very excited!! After speaking with the dr's wife I'm pretty convinced that I will be a canidate for his treatment. So wish me luck!!

Now this might sound like alot of work but to me its worth it if I can try something that may help me get my life back or reduce my pain to just 1/2 of what it is now. I've seen 27's dr's!! None of them have been able to rid me of this pain so why not try another. I've did alot of research on this med and since it has the pain relief med and the non addict med all in one I feel its my next best option.

I hope this will help some others out there that are willing to search and try something new.

Tina, you hit a pot of gold when you saw your dr and he gave it to you right off the bat!! I'm so happy for you and hope that I will also join you in being painfree real soon!!

Hugs

Lori

09/01/2009 09:06 AM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lori, Please Keep us posted as to how it is helping you. You are in prayers and my best wishes that it will do away with your pain. Good Luck. God BLess You. shortstuff

09/01/2009 10:48 AM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

OMG Lori. Thank you so much for this reference. You would not believe it, but my doctor is amoung the ones listed. Amazing. I am not sure he prescribes it for addiction or pain, but I am going to find out. He is a pain management doctor, so I am excited.

Thanks Lori,

Elizabeth

09/01/2009 02:12 PM
HAMPTON7026
HAMPTON7026  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Your welcome! My appt is this Friday so hopefully I will be able to give you some results soon. I can't wait!! I'm really looking forward to trying it. Tina has had such good results and I'm hoping I will have the same.

Happy searching!!

Lori

09/12/2009 09:56 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi, and welcome! From what I gather by talking to Tina and Lori, who's now on it as well, it eliminates pain. It does not help with the fibrofog, the fatigue, the shortness of breath, or any of our other symptoms. I think Tina has said that her insurance doesn't cover it, but you can't quote me on that.

As far as sleep goes, there are probably less expensive things you could be on. I take Neurontin and Flexeril, both generics, to help me sleep, and even though my insurance copay on them is $20 for each, they both come cheaper than that for a month's supply. I switched to Neurontin from Lyrica because my copay for that was $50 a month! Ask your doctor for some cheaper alternatives, that's what I did.

09/12/2009 09:59 PM
suetotten
suetotten  

I am extra sensitive as well. Fair warning to anyone who is sensitive to meds....if they give you Topomax for the pain, make sure someone is with you at all times. I had heart palpatations and stopped breathing...just FYI.

I am keeping my fingers crosses for you about the Suboxone!!! Good Luck

09/12/2009 10:39 PM
HAMPTON7026
HAMPTON7026  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi victory and welcome to the group!! I'm Lori the one who started this thread about the suboxone. Well since then I found a doc and started taking it a week ago yesterday!! I've been PAINFREE!! For a week now and I love it!! Its to early to tell whether or not it will help with the fatigue or not for me since I've only been on it a week but I'm painfree and to me that's worth every dollar I paid for it!! Now to answer some of your questions. I have Anthem bc/bs and if the dr writes the script for pain like my doc did I only had to pay my 30.00 co-pay like I do on all non-generic pills. I pay 15.00 for generics but there is none for Suboxone yet. So what I would do is call your pharmacy and ask if your insurance would cover it for pain management. Thats the fastest way to find out!! Now side effects: I've been more tired but I also take klonopin 2mg, 3 times a day for anxiety and stress. The last few days I have been taking a half of one in the morning and afternoon and a whole one at night. That got me from taking a nap every afternoon like I was doing the first few days. I also take flexiril 10mg 3 times a day, I've been skipping the afternoon dose of it too. I hope to be off both of these real soon but I've been on them for 4 years so I want to tirate them. I'm sorrry Fog.........yep still got fog!!LOL So I've been tired, had frequent urination and for some reason I'm drooling while I sleep and I'm loopy for a few hours after taking them. But those are side effects that I can live with to be pain free!! How about you?

Now Tina, She's been on it for 3 months or so!! She told me that the loopy feeling will go away after taking it for a few weeks. She has lost 53lbs on this in 3 months!! She been doing great and tells me that this suboxone just keep getting better and better. I can't imagine it getting any better!! I've been on almost every med made and to 27 drs before I found 28 that gave me the Suboxone!! Nothing has ever helped me rid my self of this pain. Tina does not have insurance and full price is 300.00 a month!! She has found a free rx card that she uses and can get her Suboxone for 212.00 a month. But you said you have insurance so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you have anymore question about it or anything else just ask or pm me if you prefer to speak in private.

Hugs

Lori

09/13/2009 11:42 AM
HAMPTON7026
HAMPTON7026  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Your Welcome Victory!! I wish you luck with the new dr and hopefully you will be allowed to try this suboxone!! It truely has took all my pain away and for me thats a miracle. I almoste forgot what it was like to be painfree.

This is a wonderful group and you will love it here, you are no longer alone beating this fibro beast you have lots of people to help you along the journey.

Hugs

Lori

09/21/2009 11:44 PM
keltec
keltec  

I read Tina's post and looked up the info on the med. I took it to my dr, and he is researching it now to see if we can give it a try. Got an appointment this week and I hope either bc/bs will ok the lyrica again, or he will give this a try. I have been a guinea pig for so many meds, that I think i should at least give this a try. I can't work anylonger and have even retired my truck to the barn. Yep, this ol' boy is willing to drive the fuel efficient minivan to try and reduce pain. Redneck hell? well almost. the pain is much worse than driving a minivan, even though i am a truck guy!lol hurting and can 't sleep as usual. hope all that changes this week.

09/22/2009 11:02 AM
HAMPTON7026
HAMPTON7026  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Keltec, I also have bc/bs and they do cover the Suboxone just incase you were wondering. I had to pay my 30.00 non-generic copay but they did cover it for me. I hope your dr gives you a chance with it. I have been paing free since my very first dose!!

Hugs

Lori

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved