MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/13/2009 07:40 PM

Starting Cymbalta & dropping Lyrica

fibroinTX
fibroinTX  

Saw the int med dr today. I was put on Lyrica in Texas, but I hate the side effects. Here this dr wants me off...I 100% agree, but am terrified of the increase in pain if I go without anything.

We discussed Savella at length (at my request) and Cymbalta. We agreed that Savella is too new on the American market and since I have Crohns also, we want to err on the side of caution. So, I am starting Cymbalta tomorrow.

I currently take Lyrica 75mg twice a day. I am to drop my morning dose and replace it w/ Cymbalta and return in 6 weeks.

Anyone else made the transition from Lyrica to Cymbalta? Did you have any side effects from the switch along? And did Cymbalta work better? Blink

I have got to get some sleep garsh darn it!!! Angry I have been wrestling with insomnia again. We are discontinuing Elavil at bedtime (which isn't working anyway) so it won't interfere w/ Cymbalta.

I can't thank my fibro family enough. Thanks for always be there!!! Kissing

08/15/2009 07:15 AM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

I have been on Lyrica and Savella for about 4 months now. I was on 450mg of Lyrica and 100mg of Savella daily. Due to the side effects of Lyrica, I am weaning, which doc put me on 75mg twice daily for one week. Stopped Savella all together, no weaning. I began 30mg of Cymbalta on the same day as weaning of Lyrica. I thought the drop from 450mg to 150mg daily would be drastic, but I am only on 3rd day so far. I am also on the Medrol Taper Pack, so I think this will help in the transition. Only time will tell.

Good luck with the Cymbalta, I know I am praying for better results.

Elizabeth

Post edited by: emendoza23, at: 08/15/2009 07:20 AM

08/15/2009 07:21 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

Im confused guy,isn't Saville a replacement for lyrica, why would you be on both.

08/15/2009 07:47 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Hey. I went from Lyrica to Cymbalta. I swapped cold turkey though. The lyrica did nothing but make me spacey. The cymbalta works better though not too great. I didn't have an issue doing the immediate swap but I'm a weirdo and wouldn't reccommend it for most folks.

08/15/2009 09:22 AM
Kristie1972
Kristie1972  

i take cymbalta 30mg every morning. if i drink a cup of coffee right after taking it i have a lot more energy the whole day and better pain relief. i missed a dose the other day and could really see a big difference in the pain. the pain was h*ll that day. i will never do that again. i also have a lot of trouble sleeping. i take 9mg of melatonin at night along with 50mg of benadrl. both of these meds are natural. so they are not bad for you. plus since i have been on the melatonin for about 5 months now. i have only had 2 major migraines since i started it. i sleep so so so so much better since i started these at night.. hope this helps

08/15/2009 10:44 AM
fibroinTX
fibroinTX  

Yesterday was day 1 of cymbalta 30 in am and 75 lyrica at bedtime. Felt jittery in the morning but thought it was just from my b12 shot. Between "feeling the earth move", nausea and headache, I did not sleep much.

Today is day 2 of cymbalta. Had coffee at breakfast... Cymbalta+caffeine=not good...I felt like I was gonna jump outta my skin! But I have noticed lower back pain is less. Nausea is still following me. Hopefully that will subside with time. I am supposed to stay on 75 lyrica and 30 cymb for 6 wks. I'll give it a good 2 wks of side effects (assuming I am not vomiting) before I make an opinions about it.

I'll think I'll try the melatonin at bedtime. Thanks for the support. I'll keep checking back in.

08/15/2009 11:47 AM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I was on Lyrica and Effexor and Lyrica was making me worse. My doctor took me off both and replaced it with Cymbalta. I had to wean slowly and believe me, it was awful!! I had this electrical brain shock thing and to this day I don't know if it was the Lyrica or the Effexor or a combination of both. It was miserable but only lasted until I got up to 30 mg of Cymbalta.

Loved Cymbalta, it's been the only antidepressant that ever worked for me and it also worked well for pain. I had to stop though when I lost my insurance and now I'm taking Celexa and very depressed.

Don't abruptly stop the Lyrica no matter what people say...it's an anticonvulsant and if you just stop you can have seizures even if you're not on it for seizures. Scary stuff.

I didn't have any bad stuff happen when I was weaned off of Cymbalta but we did it extremely slowly...over a 6 week period.

But we're all different so your experience will be unique... good luck! I hope Cymbalta works as well for you as it did me...

08/15/2009 01:39 PM
fibroinTX
fibroinTX  

Can anyone make the earth stop moving?

08/15/2009 02:03 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Time...did the earth start moving before or after you went on Lyrica? I had that "omg it's an earthquake how come no one else seems to notice" feeling at the beginning of my real bad flare that lead to my diagnosis. It got way worse while I was on Lyrica and continued for some time after I weaned off Lyrica but has pretty much gone away...once in a great while I'll look around for evidence of an earthquake but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be...I don't have to hold onto the walls anymore....sorry you're having these symptoms! And no, you're not nuts!! (just in case) LOL...

08/16/2009 12:53 AM
summer

I have not had any experience with Savella, but I did take Lyrica. I did not care for it. I got all the side effects and then some. I don't know about making the earth stop moving, but I did fall down the stairs a lot on this medication.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved