MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/26/2009 01:00 PM

Has anyone taken Maxalt

celticmyst
celticmyst  

With the FM I also used to get migraines. I started taking Topamax a couple yrs a go for the FM and when I did the migraines went away (thank God).

I think lately I've had more stress(according to Dr.)so migraines are resurfacing, they aren't taking a foothold so they don't stay long and I don't have to lock myself in a dark room or head to emerg or anything. My doctor says thats because the Topamax is fighting them back. But I'm still getting ice pick headaches, very painful. and some small headaches in the day. so she wants me to try Maxalt during an emergency when nothing else works.

So I've come to my Fibro friends for any info you may have on it. Hugs

MYSTSmile

02/26/2009 01:10 PM
dayxday
dayxday  

I was on it a few years ago, worked when nothing else did. I had no problems with it at all.

One time when I had to go to the ER for a really bad migrain I told the doc what they usually did for me, and he said he wanted to try something else, just straight saline through an IV, a couple tylenol, and a couple benadryl. Crazy thing is, IT WORKED! Still blows my mind!

02/26/2009 01:23 PM
celticmyst
celticmyst  

Dayxday, you know i used to take anti-histimines for pain in my late teens and I was already taking tylenol, and it always worked. I kinda forgot about it. Thanks. I'll remember that again for next time. I do know when I take the antihistimines it blocks my other meds though so I have to becareful, but in a pinch I can work. The Maxalt for extreme cases if at all. I haven't used it yet. I have other options. I always use the water first breathing exercises Couple Tylenol ect.. I always give my husband water when he has a headache I just keep bringing it to him. He hates water, but he drinks more now that we are married Smile

MYST

Hugs MYST

02/26/2009 03:02 PM
AutumnSunset
AutumnSunset  

I used Maxalt for migraines for several years, and it worked well for me. This last year my doctor got me to try Relpax, and I think that it works even better. My body may have adjusted to the Maxalt, because I was probably on it about 10 years.

02/27/2009 07:19 PM
dayxday
dayxday  

Relpax was another one I was trying to remember! Thanks! Yeah, I wish the doctor I had to see on my honeymoon had given me that mix, instead he gave me something that had me crawling on the floor to get to the bathroom for two days.

02/27/2009 07:26 PM
TinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Maxalt is a miracle drug for me. I must have tried 5 other migraine meds before the kindly Dr. Su decided try this one. For me it's absolutely no side effects and the migraine is gone in about 15 minutes. I think once I had to take an extra dose.

It is REALLY expensive, though. Retail for 30 pills is 600.00 Even with our prescription coverage, which is exceptional, it still costs a hundred bucks. However, when something works you don't feel so bad about the price.

Post edited by: TinaL, at: 02/27/2009 20:04

02/27/2009 07:41 PM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

Well unless you are completely broke.

02/27/2009 08:06 PM
ttt
ttt  

I suppose if I had to make a choice between cable and internet or meds, I'd probably pick the meds.

02/27/2009 08:07 PM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

I would pick the meds over anything but I try to avoid the expensive ones while on a tight budget.

02/27/2009 08:12 PM
dayxday
dayxday  

Tina, thats why Im not on it anymore. My next option is giving myself a shot at home. Which is fine, as long as I know where the stuff is when I need it. I have migraines that make me blind in one eye, numb on one side of my body, and I can't make a lick of sense. I dont even know my own name when that happens, hubby would have to do it, and he's chicken.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved