MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/10/2012 02:08 PM

Home Remedies

MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

The topic about the alkaline water got me thinking about those home cures that we all know at least one or two of, and thought I'd start a thread.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO SUPPLIMENT OR REPLACE A DOCTOR'S CARE. USE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Now that the disclaimer's out of the way... thought I'd toss out a few of my own.

For "@$$ pissing" or runaway diarrhea... blackberry juice. Buy frozen blackberries in the freezer section (whole frozen berries, not pie filling with sugar). Boil in a bit of water on the stove, strain, and drink about half a cup several times a day. Gaurenteed to stop the diarrhea.

For acid indigestion in adults and colic in babies, catnip tea. Any mint will do, but catnip's best. For adults, I like it with honey, but you NEVER EVER give honey to an infant under the age of 1 year, so sweeten it with a bit of sugar.

For OMG I'M GOING TO DIE heartburn, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a cup of water. Within 30 seconds to 1 minute, you'll let out a huge belch and feel much better.

For a cold, hot toddy: 1 cup hot water, a shot of whiskey, juice of half a lemon, sugar to sweeten.

For diaper rash, small cuts and scrapes, anything to do with skin, Sayman Salve http://www.amazon.com/SAYMANS-SALVE-Size-4-OZ/dp/B000GCKDUY Before there was neosporin or other antibiotic ointments (and I'm old enough to remember when neosporin was prescription only) we used other salves and creams for wound treatment. This is what my grandparents used. When my grandfather had a leg amputation, this is what he used to keep from getting pressure sores and blisters on his stump where his artificial leg attached. I've cured diaper rashes with this ointment that doctors with prescription stuff couldn't cure.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

04/10/2012 03:01 PM
mem1318

Mo, How I remember all of those. It was once called salve, now it is ointment. hehe. Ya!! you remember asfitted (sp) to keep germs away. I remember coming home and my Mom had one of those thing with a string that was made from the hem of something stuck through it. It was around his little neck. Anyways I was play with him and just kissing all over my little one. I was trying to figure out why he stunk. Well after undress him to give him a bath I saw it and smell it, boii does it stink. Oh another one, a red onion with a little sugar to make a juice for colds. Oh ya I remember all that. Some I still use.

04/10/2012 05:43 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Asefetida... or asafedity as the old timers used to call it. Yep, I remember that stuff. Stinks to high heaven. It'd definately keep colds and stuff away, because no one would get close enough to anyone wearing it to give them germs!! LaughingLaughingLaughing

Half a teaspoon of honey with a few drops of lemon juice as a cough drop. I still use this one!

Eating garlic to keep the skeeters away.

We ALL of us have these little home remedies. Taking a bath in epsom salt for strained muscles, which we use for Fibro pain is one. The Sock buddy is another. Bag of frozen peas for icing down a sprain. Hot water bottle to the belly for menstrual cramps.

Peanut butter smeared on gum stuck in the hair (this one REALLY works well, it's amazing).

04/10/2012 06:35 PM
mem1318

ALSO MY AUNT WAS A FIRM BELIVER THAT TAKING A TEA SPOON OF BAKING SODA WILL STOP A COLD YOU FEEL COMING ON. NO I AM NOT SCREEMING MY FINGER WON'T MOVE TO HIT THE CAP KEY.

04/15/2012 10:00 AM
Herblady
Herblady  

Ginger for nausea, sea/car sickness....works great

peppermint tea for indigestion or IBS

pure lavender oil for scrapes, bug bites, poisen ivy, red wounds...

tea tree oil for any and all fungus/yeast topically of course...

the list goes on...

04/15/2012 10:00 PM
starkeeper

Mineral Oil for constipation

I know I have more I'm just brain foggy

04/15/2012 10:02 PM
mem6526

04/16/2012 01:07 AM
DanaW
DanaW  

I was just reading about onions earlier. They used to put a cut onion in the room of a sick person...sick with like a cold or flu..the onion absorbs the germs in the air like a vacuum. Also, never store and eat a cut onion...their ability to suck up germs and bacteria make them potent delivery agents if you eat one after it has been cut and stored...even if stored in plastic baggies. They said that getting sick after eating room temp potato salad is usually blamed on the mayo..but commercial mayo doesn't even need to be refrigerated but the onions and potatos are germ parties!

04/28/2012 09:47 AM
ChemGeek

Rosemary is great for aching muscles.

I use pure peppermint oil for headaches, including migraines, and I also apply peppermint oil straight up to sores spots on my body. CAUTION: pure peppermint oil is not for everyone, so feel free to dilute in lotion or coconut oil.

I use garlic for anything and everything. If you are sick, eat it! It can also be used for yeast infections, minced up or cut and rub directly on the area.

I dilute tea tree oil to combat pimples.

Tart cherry juice is great to combat inflammation, including headaches.

Lemons! I squeeze half a lemon into two liters of water and drink it every day. Lemons assist in getting the ickies out of your body (important for those on medications) Limonene, a component found in lemon peels, is good for constipation (among other things). Lemon oil is good for lifting moods (I use it for seasonal depression).

...and many more...

04/28/2012 11:12 AM
maryandjimmie
maryandjimmie  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Chemgeek I heard alot about the peppermint oil can you tell me where you can buy it at? Also how do you use rosemary for the aching muscles.

Thank you

Mary

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved