MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/10/2009 08:55 AM

*Important Sugar Lesson*

Neko
Neko  

I just found out how toxic sugar was. I eliminated sugar in my diet for about a month because I had to be in top shape for my piano recital. When it was over, I celebrated with my favorite desserts - butter cookies and vanilla ice cream. A few hours later, I felt utterly exhausted and my whole body started to ache like some metal permeating through every muscle. I felt extremely irritated and depressed. I even felt suicidal. I had to suffer all day like that. I was angry and threw out my cookies in my backyard.

Now I have no cravings for sugar since my body has learned that it is poisonous. I think eliminating sugar in my diet has helped me tremendously to ease FM symptoms. I was able to perform an extremely demanding (even for a healthy person)hour-long solo piano recital! I knew that sugar was not good for me but I did not want to believe it but once I've gotten away from it, I don't feel the need. I still like some sweets but I use Agave nectar instead. I just wanted to share my valuable experience with you all...

02/10/2009 09:11 AM
mellydramatic
mellydramaticPosts: 577

Thanks, Neko. I too, am trying to eliminate sugar and flour from my diet. I'm only ten days into it, but the last two have found that I have finally stopped craving it. Those earlier cravings were crazy!! Talk about an addictive substance! It is too early to tell what ultimate effect this will have on my fibro, but I've already lost weight.

02/10/2009 09:31 AM
livn4jc4evr
livn4jc4evr  

I agree. I know it is sometimes making me tired and also increases my pain however I am so utterly addited to it. I hope I can soon eliminate it from my diet as well. It is amazing you would think sugar was illigal drugs or something the way we are addicted. just like smoking and alchol.

02/10/2009 09:56 AM
mcbeth
mcbeth  

OMG....I wonder if that is what is wrong with me today. Last night Tom bought us each a cupcake. Mine was Vanilla bean and his was red velvet cake. We split them and each had half of both.

Today I am so tired I'm dozing off on the toilet again, and my legs ache and burn so bad I can hardly stand at the sink to wash my hands.

02/10/2009 02:17 PM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

I have been off of sugar among other awful foods for almost 2 years and I agree. I won't say I am all better but I do not miss the way I used to feel and I certainly do not miss IBS. I also do not miss the weight I lost. Good for you Neko. Sugar is the most important food to eliminate I think. Melly is following the same diet I do and is already having great results. Diet and exercise are no cure but they really do help a lot.

02/10/2009 02:28 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Thanks Neko, for the valuable info. I wish I had enough "want to" to eliminate at least most of sugar from my diet. Was it hard to do while you were doing it? Congratulations on the piano recital. You must truly love music. Bravo!!!

02/10/2009 08:10 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Ok, I was just talking about craving cholocate and now I read this. Mcbeth, I often fall asleep when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night=good thing so far I have not fallen off.

02/11/2009 06:42 AM
Neko
Neko  

Like everyone, I also was in denial and did not want to or was "scared of" eliminating sugar because it gave me temporary comfort.

I grew up with lots of sugar! It was hard at first (about a week or so) but I did not quit cold turkey and I think that's the key to success with anything else. I was also determined to get better and do my recital so everytime I thought about sugar, I thought about how much I love music and life.

I also ate better- organic food, fresh fruits and veggies and I reduced my bread consumption also. As I started to feel better, I did not even crave sugar. I think sugar addiction is an emotional thing. When my boyfriend(who is also addicted to cookies!) brought cookies for me, my emotions told me to eat but my body told me no so I refused them. My body feels great without them and strangely, my body started to crave for healthy foods! I think sugar changes your brain chemistry that it makes your brain make bad choices.

Sugar is also known to weaken the immune system and cause IBS, just to mention a few horrible side effects! It should be a controlled substance in order to protect health. I want to urge everyone especially with FM to start eliminating sugar! I know for sure that your body will thank you!!

02/11/2009 07:34 AM
mellydramatic
mellydramaticPosts: 577

The whole emotional addiction was the issue that kept me from embarking on this for the last year or so. There are SOOOOO many things that truly suck about having this disorder, and indulging in comfort food is one of the few truly enjoyable experiences we have, so even thinking about taking that away was heartwrenching!! I think each person has to come to a point where it is something they WANT to do, for whatever reason, before it becomes doable. For me, it was reading Iknowpain's experience that flipped the switch for me. She also linked me to a specific food list, and she has been a great support in answering my questions. I'm glad I've begun. I know it will need to be a total lifestyle change and not a "diet," but I'm willing to make a go of it. That's all I can ask of myself!!

Post edited by: mellydramatic, at: 02/11/2009 07:35

02/11/2009 11:27 AM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

I think you give me too much credit melly. You are the one making the difference for you and I am happy to help. You are doing so very well and you are reaping the rewards already. I am so proud of you. Keep it up.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved