MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/01/2012 05:43 PM

Withdrawals

younghopeful
younghopeful  

Does anyone know if lyrica withdrawal is like cymbalta withdrawal? I am thinking about weaning of of cymbalta and i know how bad it will be(if i miss a dose it is hell). I have a ton of trouble remembering to take my meds and was wondering if it is horrible if you miss a day on lyrica. I know it is not a good thing to forget your medication, but it is just something I have to deal with. I will be working on ways to remember to take them (pill boxes don't help) and am open to suggestions. I guess the bottom line is I want to know if Lyrica is the same as cymbalta side effect wise? I get nausea, dry mouth, muscle twitches, etc too often. Thanks!

04/01/2012 06:02 PM
mem6526

You must wean yourself off of Lyrica. Call your Doctor to find out how to do this. I would not do this on your own. Hope that you will be okay. Wink

04/01/2012 07:52 PM
ushie

Second angelonearth--call your doc--some people have a really hard time when coming off. Take care!

04/01/2012 09:54 PM
younghopeful
younghopeful  

Yea I plan on it I know it isn't smart to quit cold turkey. It will probably still suck though.

04/01/2012 09:54 PM
gerinaz

please be careful with cutting back on meds. I can relate to what you are saying about forgetting doses of certain meds. I have done it on many occasions and if forgetting one dose has that much of an affect on us, we need to be so careful about intentionally changing. Cymbalta withdrawl is one of the worst I've ever experienced. I was able to cut back on lyrica ( haven't taken it now for a few years) on my own without terrible affects, but we are all different, and I would suggest that you consult your doc before you make changes. if you are changing from one med to another, it is best for the doc to help you titrate the change. at times, I have had to use a weekly planner-type calendar to help me NOT to forget a medication dose. it is more than worth the extra second it takes to make a mark on paper to indicate you've taken your meds. forgetfulness is one of the most frustrating symptoms of fms. good luck

04/01/2012 10:02 PM
younghopeful
younghopeful  

Do any of you know if Lyrica's side effects are just as bad as cymbalta's side effects

04/01/2012 10:03 PM
mem6526

Everyone is different when it comes to Meds.

Are you talking about withdrawals from Lyrica?

You really should not just stop taking these Meds cold turkey.

You have to wean yourself off of them.

Why do you want to just stop taking them cold turkey?

Is there a specific reason? Dizzy

04/01/2012 10:23 PM
younghopeful
younghopeful  

No No No, I don't plan on quitting cold turkey Laughing and yes Lyrica, because I am thinking about talking to the doctor about trying it.

04/01/2012 10:25 PM
DanaW
DanaW  

I take Lyrica but I don't know about withdrawals from it. I know I hurt more if I miss a dose but I don't freak out or anything

04/01/2012 10:26 PM
mem6526

Lyrica is very similar to Neurontin and a lot more expensive.

There are 3 Meds that have been approved by the FDA to treat Fibromyalgia.

They are Cymbalta, Lyrica and Savella.

This is not to say that there are not other Meds that people have found success with...but just saying what has been approved by the FDA specifically for Fibro.

You have to give Meds time to work.

How long did you stay on Neurontin?

Also you can take Cymbalta and Lyrica together if you want.

You need to talk to the Rheumatologist.

You really should try to first be diagnosed and go from there.

Post edited by: angelonearth, at: 04/01/2012 10:27 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved