MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/23/2009 07:10 PM

Time Released Pain Medication

kbrooks
kbrooksPosts: 6

How many of us are taking a time released pain medication? If so, what kind and how are they working in comparision to the good old (Loritab, etc)?

01/23/2009 08:02 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

kbrooks

I am not methodon er. It works better than any other that I have tried. I have also been on ultram er and opana er. It lasts much longer and I don't feel as druged from it all day. I also have loritab and vicodan to take for break thru pain when I need it but, I do not take it very often. Usually, if the pain is worse I try to just rest to make it go away, that way if I need it later, I have not built up a tolorance.

01/24/2009 12:25 PM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

I take morphine er and have percocet for break through pain. The extended release meds are designed to keep you on an even plane instead of your pain going up and down like a yo yo. I really do like it much better and boy do I notice when I forget to take it. My doctor does not want me to miss a does because it is so much harder to get the pain back down once you let it come back. I hate taking prescription pain pills but I really do have a better quality of life if I take them all the time rather then when I feel like I need them. If I wait until I need them it is often too late and it takes a lot to get me back on that eve plane again. Occasionally the fog will set in and I will stop taking them to see if they are doing any good or if I truly need them. That is a big mistake. My husband now makes sure I take them and pulls me out of my fog if I talk about not taking them. I already know the answer. They do help and I do need them. I still have my pain scale 10 days, but I am afraid of what those days would be like without them. Oh, I do have to change it up occassionally because I do build up a tolerance, so my doctor will switch me back and forth every once in a while.

Post edited by: Iknowpain, at: 01/24/2009 12:27

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved