MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2008 11:48 AM

Best Medicine for Pain Relief?(page 4)

SarcasticPixie
SarcasticPixie  

Is it just me or does it seem like when you finally get to the point of finding something that helps, the doc decides that it is the ONE thing that they won't give you.b *sigh*

It just doesn't make sense to me that it should be so darned difficult.

Pixie

01/18/2008 11:55 AM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Pixie I am hoping they will give me what I want.. I have an appointment with a new doctor on Tuesday, so hopefully.. I will cry if he doesn't..

01/18/2008 11:57 AM
singingangel

I hope he does kgrin. We will be crossing our fingers.

01/18/2008 01:20 PM
SarcasticPixie
SarcasticPixie  

...and toes Wink

01/18/2008 01:26 PM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Thank you everyone, I am sitting here right now trying to figure out how to get my message accross without sounding to desperate.. I am really leary about trying different things as well because I get major anxiety when I take any kind of medication like it's going to kill me or something, plus I have a low tolerance for things, I can't even take antibiotics because they make me feel like I am having an overdose.. anybody else have that problem?

01/18/2008 02:04 PM
SarcasticPixie
SarcasticPixie  

Kgrin,

It seems you have an aversion (a real phobia) to taking meds of any kind. I'm hoping you don't take this wrong but have you tried counseling for this? I know it won't lessen your pain directly but it may make it easier for you to take the meds that will help you.

Seriously, the meds can't help you if you are afraid to take them. And the anxiety you feel when you do take them most likely lessens the benifits of taking them.

No doctor is going to prescribe more than is safe for you, and even if something did slip through the pharmacy would question it. I am not trying to belittle the way you feel, I am only trying to suggest things that might help a little.

I hope you can get your doc to understand, and that you get what you need to feel better. Until then here are some *pixie hugs* to comfort you.

Pixie

01/18/2008 02:12 PM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Pixie I do appreciate your honesty and I don't take it as belittleing at all. I actually have been considering a counselor because I know it would be a great benefit for me as I have other issues that I need to get help dealing with as well, some of it related to my fibro and some not, so hearing someone else say it just makes me want to do it even more. Hugs back to you!!!

01/18/2008 02:26 PM
SarcasticPixie
SarcasticPixie  

Thanks for the hugs Smile

I'm so glad you have been considering counseling. I've been through counseling myself and it was a very good experience. It gives you the opportunity to get it all out to someone who will keep it confidential and won't take it personally. They can also teach you coping techniques and relaxation methods that make a huge difference.

I personally know from experience what anxiety can do and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I admit it, I am a control freak, but in my defence, the way my life has played out I had to be. Until I met my husband it was me and three children with no help. You just wouldn't believe the creeps out there who think nothing of preying upon single moms. I learned my lessons the hard way, I don't want you to have to go though anything like I have.

Just remember, That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

Pixie

01/18/2008 02:59 PM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

You know what is funny I say that all the time, that which does not kill you makes you stronger, that is so true.. I have a pretty rough history myself so I totally understand where you are coming from, luckily I met my second husband before I was even divorced from my first, of course it started out as a friendship and blossomed later on down the road, now 20 years later I couldn't have asked for a better man, luckily I didn't have to deal with creeps..

01/18/2008 03:12 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Welcome mountainman!

Regarding your question about pain meds- I think it's just a trial and error thing for everyone. You're right in that it affects everyone differently.

I've tried so many things I don't think you could even count them on both hands. What seems to be working for me "at the moment" is Tramadol, 50mgs taking 6-8 per day. Then on a really bad day I take a Hydrocodone on top of that.

I hope you find some relief soon. Smile

Once again, welcome to the support group! Take Care.

Amy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 4 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved