MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/16/2008 11:15 PM

Best Medicine for Pain Relief?

Mountainman
Mountainman  

I am currently taking MS Contin and Norco for pain relief, I realize medicine affects people differently but does anyone have suggestions on what meds work best for pain?Dizzy

01/17/2008 05:22 AM
SarcasticPixie
SarcasticPixie  

Unfortunately it's a shot in the dark. Because of varying levels of pain, and individual reactions, it's up to you and you Dr. to find what works for you. Sometimes that can take a while.

I'm sure others can let you know what works for them, but ultimately you have to find what works for you.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Pixie

01/17/2008 05:25 AM
LibraJo

What is Norco? Don't think I heard of that one & I thought I tried everything.

01/17/2008 05:46 AM
coolmamma
coolmamma  

In my opinion, finding the right meds is a delicate balance. It all depends on your pain tolerance & your doc. I am pretty sensitive to meds so I can't take certain ones I am also learning that meds is only a part of the treatment. I am taking an Adv Pain Management class which teaches deep relaxation & hypnosis. I never thought the hypnosis would work, but apparently it does cuz I fall asleep listening to the cd. Best of luck to you, hoping you find what works best for you.

01/17/2008 07:04 AM
Aquarian211
Aquarian211  

Hydrocodone works best for me... but it's not easy to get... i only get about 10 a month.... so I use the darvacet most of the time... and hydro are saved for the really rough times....

01/17/2008 09:07 AM
singingangel

My drs dont believe in using narcs. I have neurontin and zanaflex for pain of fibro. I have a nsaid for pinched nerves and another med for ra. i think you just have to work with your dr to figure out the best way to treat it.

01/17/2008 09:15 AM
desertmom54
desertmom54  

I have tried vicodins but they didnt work well and darvocet is like taking nothing at all, I was on Percocets 10/325 for about 3 years but they stoped working thats why I see the Pain Management Doctor now who put me on Durigisic Patches 25mc and Percocet 10/325 for brk thru pain. My insurance wont pay for the patches so he is going to change that when I go see him on Wednesday. But you will know whats best for you . work it out with your doctor

01/17/2008 09:40 AM
froggy
foggy  

Hey Guys; I hope everyones having a reduced pain day today. [Because it never truly goes away].

Anyway I had good results with Tramadol. Those other medications had issues like constipation or making me feel too groggy. And I also take Gabapentin[Neurontin].

I tried the Lyrica but found no better results. So I went back to the Gabapentin, becuse the co-pay was higher on the Lyrica. If I didn't feel any improvement, I certainly wasn't going to spend more money than I had to.

This is a great subject. Maybe we can find out from each other what works and what doesn't. Of course I believe what works for one doesn't work for everone.

Our metabolisms are all different. But who knows maybe somedayW00t

froggyCool

01/17/2008 09:58 AM
SarcasticPixie
SarcasticPixie  

Right now I am on a Fentynol Patch, Hydrocodone, Gabapentin, Klonopin, and Lexapro. I still have a lot of breakthrough pain but at least I'm not in tears all day everyday anymore. My doc and I tried upping the fentynol to get me off some of the pills (they mess with my tummy) but it made me so horribly sick I couldn't do it. I was so sick I couldn't tell you if it helped with the pain or not.

I am now just in limbo waiting for my Rhumetology appointment, I'm hoping he can give me some answers and some help.

I hope you all have a better day.

Pixie

01/17/2008 10:31 AM
TeainTN
TeainTN  

I take tramadol and on the really bad days i will also take a soma. I saw my doctor yesterday and he is setting me up with a pt who does mysfascial release massage. it has helped me in the past so i'm hopeful it will give me some relief now.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved