MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/16/2009 09:53 AM

Bad fibro flare up today

mvgallegos
mvgallegos  

Hello Everyone,

Today I am having a very nasty flare up, I am curently taking loratab 7.5 and just put some aspercream heat on my body but my hands are hurting so bad and I don't want that stuff on my hands (cause it's almost lunch time). I also have Volteran gel which does not help at all, does anyone have any suggestions what I can do for my hands?

Thanks!

Vivian (mvgallegos)Sick

01/16/2009 05:32 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

The only thing I can think of is to soak them in hot water, dry them really well, put on some lotion and gloves. Or maybe lay a heating pad on top of them.

If the aspercream helps your hands you could put it on and then put some latex or vinyl gloves on so you don't get it on your sandwich.Smile

04/01/2009 05:41 PM
JBeesmom
JBeesmom  

My daughter has FM and I gave her hand warmers to hold and to put inside her socks to help with the pain in her feet. The hand warmers come in packages and you shake them and they start to warm up and last for hours. It might be worth a try.

Hope this helps...

04/01/2009 06:08 PM
lil12
lil12  

Warm water for sure. That's what I do when my hands hurt. And I don't know about you but mine get really swolen too so I have to make sure and keep them above my heart

04/01/2009 08:25 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Mine also feel good if I hold them up. I put the heating pad on mine sometimes and that makes them feel good.

04/01/2009 08:54 PM
drlgillman

If you can stand the pain, keep your muscles moving. This will create a "milking" effect which pushes the inflammation out of your hands/feet. If you can't keep moving, I agree that elevating your hands/feet above your heart is great. It allows gravity to aid your circulatory system to push the inflammation out. I know that cold makes me worse, so I don't suggest it - even though it will get rid of the inflammation relatively quick. Heat feels great, but it can cause more tissue damage. Try putting heating pads or warm compresses on your forearm or lower leg instead. This way you don't prolong the inflammatory process that's occurring in your hands/feet, but you'll still get the soothing effect from the warmth. Good luck and best wishes!

08/19/2012 01:54 PM
AngelsofHope
AngelsofHope  

Hey vivian Smile

I usually put my hands in cool water to help them. But then again I don't know if this will help you...as we probably have different combinations of disorders (I have autoimmune disorders plus fibromyalgia). But cool water helped me. Do you have any tylenol? That helps a little...

Best of luck to you!

All my love,

Annie Smile

08/19/2012 05:59 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

My hands get stiff overnight and I wake up and am not able to make a fist or even close my hands tightly (so I'm leary about things like holding coffee cups). A few minutes with the heating pad on them seems to help a lot. It "loosens them up" so that I can make a fist again and restores some of the strength to my hands.

It's especially bad if I've done a lot of knitting or crocheting the night before. Seems the more I use them, the more they stiffen up overnight.

08/19/2012 08:49 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

I have terrible pains in my hands sometimes. I have not tried the warm water, though I have heard that it helps.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved