MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/05/2011 05:55 AM

Yoga, stretching other activities that can help

shaeu123

I guess this is kind of two parts. One, I'm really determined to start making some time in my life to do things for me-- to make me feel better instead of pushing "through" the pain and only making it worse. My gym offers yoga classes already so I am going to try that. I have a Tai Chi video that my Dr. recommended and I want to try that to. My question is, A.) does anyone have any recommendations for physical activities or good DVDs/online videos that have helped them and B.) Does anyone find it exhausting having to do it themself? I have a husband and I've asked him to just go to the first yoga class with me-- just so I feel more comfortable and he refuses. All he wants is his weights which I can't do and it just drives more of a wedge between us.

07/05/2011 06:35 AM
oroman
oroman  

Welcome to our site. I do warm water pool exercises at least 3 x a wk. And walk my dog 5 days a wk for about 20 mins. Since I still work part time, I get alot of walking up/down stairs at work & home. There's also alot of walking around home and job & some cleaning at home and food shopping. My husband only loves the gym for the weights so he would never join me for Yoga, etc.. Do not feel bad, see if you can make a female friend who can join you for Yoga, etc.. who perhaps has the same needs as us.

Also look for a support group in your area where you will be able to share information, etc... Do not be discouraged. Hang in there for your sanity and well being. When you are starting alone, it seems like this is so hard, but hopefully you will get a better handle on this thru lots of sites and lots of reading.

Try lots of relaxation time for yourself. And remember, lots of soft hugs from this FIBRO/Arthritis sufferer.

07/05/2011 06:56 AM
shaeu123

Warm pool sounds amazing-- hopefully my gym will actually have the pool open. I've looked for support groups but I have failed to find any in my area and the only one I did find doesn't run in July/August, is still a decent drive and is only during the day... its frustrating. I need to find a way to start making social connections in my area though because I moved away from my home town and my friends so I don't have a girlfriend to go to the gym with me... do you know any good websites that can aid in the search for a support group?

Thank you so much for your words of support. I really do not have a network of people around me who understand or are willing to "put up" with me... so its nice to have people here to talk to at least.

07/05/2011 11:08 AM
oroman
oroman  

I live in New jersey and belong to the "Fibro Family United Support Group of N.J." and the group leader is Karen Rogers Albers. Look her up on Facebook.

Also try the local library and see if they have meetings there (during the summer too) for Fibro. And I would also call the local hospital and ask them this same question. Call the main number there and ask for someone who handles the meeting rooms for different support groups. Perhaps the local churches also have this information too.

If not, try the Arthritis support groups, since fibro is also part of what we have when affected with pain and other symptoms.

Oh, when you do get an appointment with the Rheumotologist, who handles Fibro, ask the doctor for any advice in these various things you are in need of.

I am trying to think of what else, and when I do come up with more, I will keep you informed.

Take care.

07/05/2011 09:46 PM
chickiepoo
chickiepoo  

I just started walking and doing pilates again. I have a hard time sticking to it. I just tend to give up. Anyway I know what you are saying about not feeling supported. I love my husband dearly and he is a soldier, I'm very proud of him. I feel like he never supports me because he just can't understand the disease. I always ask him for help with exercise ideas. He never comes thru or he picks things that just are too hard for me. I try to get him to walk with me, he says he would rather run. So I give up. I am just going to stick with what I have access to. I don't have money to join a gym and the closest one is 30 min away. Sometimes I get to tired to drive that far. Plus I just found out that I have sleep apenea. I haven't got my machine yet.

Love,

chickiepoo

07/06/2011 01:12 PM
shaeu123

I guess my only complaint is that it's hard for me to get out of the door and go do something-- especially on days like today where I "slept" 14 hours last night, I'm in med transition and until the new meds kick in I am remembering just how bad this all was-- but I feel like it I weren't burdening him by asking him to come with me it would be easier. But I WILL get a walk in today before the storm comes a rolling on in.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved