MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/05/2011 07:53 PM

Ginger Tea

SomewhereInCalifornia
SomewhereInCalifornia  
I'm an Advocate

I'm curious if any fibros have used ginger tea to help lower their inflammation levels?

I get chills when my system is inflamed but don't have fibro...and a friend of mine who has fibro wants to try iy...and she also lives in a very snowy part of the country, so it'll help her keep warm...and will be kind to her stomache...but I'm curious about it being of any help to the actual fibro?

01/05/2011 11:29 PM
faerie
faerie  

Hi Hon,

I LIVE on ginger! But I use it for nausea. I don't like tea of any kind, so I use powdered ginger mixed in water.

I have an ulcer and it doesn't affect my stomach at all. BUT - it hasn't helped the fibro.

Sigh! If only we could all find something that was sooo easy!

Hugs, Faerie

01/06/2011 04:02 AM
Kimbaskicks
Kimbaskicks  

I use it to fight motion sickness/nausea but it hasn't helped in any other areas.

01/06/2011 07:04 AM
jmbrooks0819
jmbrooks0819  

I also hate tea of any kind. This sounds bad, but I used to use ginger after drinking. The night of when I came home, I would add some to water or juice. Then the next morning I would also have some more to help with the hangover. It helped mainly with the upset stomach. I did always feel a little better after it, but its hard to say if the helped the fibro or the hangover, lol. It seems like it could be worth a shot, no harm if doesnt work. Let us know how it goes!

01/06/2011 07:30 AM
belindac07

I use Ginger tea to help with my pain. It does help. It does not take the pain away for me but on days that my flares are so bad we all know that nothing helps. But on the milder days the ginger tea does help make my pain more bareable. I drink a lot of other teas as well. My chemical sensitivity doesn't allow me to take any prescriptions. I tried them and as sick as they made me I had rather deal with the pain. Tea is very healing for a LOT of things.

01/06/2011 02:07 PM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I've never tried Ginger Tea myself, but may have to try it if it helps with the pain! Thanks!Wink

01/06/2011 02:41 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

I love ginger tea, but have not noticed any decrease in inflammation....it heats me upand makes my skin feel hot and prickly.

Its a great tea though.and I find it a great tea for before bed.

01/06/2011 05:32 PM
Chasidee
Chasidee  

Ginger as far as I've experienced, it warms up the body.

Asians usually drink it after giving birth. Well Cambodians do. It heats up the body.

01/08/2011 06:12 AM
SomewhereInCalifornia
SomewhereInCalifornia  
I'm an Advocate

I was just curious because a friend of mine who has fibro is now drinking it but I suggested it because she kept complaining about it being so cold (to her) in their house during winter...I was wondering if there were any other benefits because she's not being covered for her meds.

It was suggested to me for the unusual attacks that I have which resemble hypothermia...where the chills that a lot of people get would be 24/7 again without my megadosage of plaquenil. It really helps cut down the recovery time, when I do get an attack. I hated the flavor of the tea, too....but it worked and now I don't mind it so much.

The suggestion was actually to use any "peppery" tea.......but the cinnamon in the one that I was using was starting to hurt my stomach, so I switched to ginger...anyhow, thanks for the replies.

01/08/2011 08:40 AM
randuh

I used peppermint/ginger tea when I was pregnant with my last child to help with the nausea and it seemed to work, I didn't really notice a pain decrease though (I think I was distracted by the fact that I was so sick from my pregnancy, LOL). I do know Herbal Tea in general is supposed to make you feel better.

did some research and this is what I found:

Compounds in the ginger rhizome, called oleoresins, have anti-inflammatory properties and are also known to have a positive effect on the muscles in the digestive tract.

Ginger is probably most famous for its anti-nausea properties. It has been studied for use in treating nausea after surgery and after chemotherapy. Similarly, ginger may be effective in treating motion sickness and reducing flatulence.

Ginger may increase the risk of bleeding during surgery, and should be discontinued before any surgical procedure. This herb may also increase bile flow, and therefore should not be used by people with a history of gallstones.

Some people report that they experience heartburn after taking ginger.

You may be able to find more on it but this is a start.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved