MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/07/2008 01:34 PM

Taking Both Cymbalta and Tramadol?

VintageVera
VintageVeraPosts: 6

HELLO: This is my first time on your site and I'm looking for help from anyone with experience taking BOTH Cymbalta and Tramadol. My previous doctor refused to allow me to take tramadol as I'm on cymbalta. Since then, I've heard that many people's experience is that don't contraindicate (sp?). Please reply with your input as I need help with the pain and doctors won't prescribe me traditional pain pills. MANY THANKS, VINTAGE VERA

11/07/2008 01:58 PM
Cori

I was on them at different times. Tramadol did not work for me, but Cymbalta helps my moods.

11/07/2008 02:24 PM
hcronch
hcronch  

Tramadol did nothing for me as far as pain.

11/14/2008 12:08 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

I didn't take tramadol with Cymbalta but I have been taking it with Prozac for over a year. When you combine tramadol with an SSRI there is a slight risk for developing serotonin syndrome. It's a rare but potentially fatal condition caused by elevated serotonin levels. I also took tramadol with Paxil with no problems. Just discuss your concerns with your doctor or pharmacist.

Oh, forgot to mention the tramadol doesn't work as well for me with Paxil, or by itself. But taking it with the Prozac, they both work better.

11/14/2008 07:25 PM
VintageVera
VintageVeraPosts: 6

[size=4][/size] THANKS for the reply. I jusut started on samples my dr. (reluctantly) gave me. After one week no side effects yet. Also as you are taking it O.K., I'm going to expect that it's fine. MORE LOVE, VINTAGE VERA p.s. My dr's reluctance seemed to be more than he didn't think it would help any but so far I seem to be a little less ache-y.

11/02/2009 10:41 PM
Zandria
Zandria  

I think that's odd your doctor won't allow you to take both Cymbalta and Tramadol. Unsure My doctor had me on both and I was taking 150 mg of Tramadol and 60 mg of Cymbalta each day, in addition to 100 mg of Lyrica. I didn't have any issues and I liked the combination of the three, but I couldn't afford the Cymbalta and Lyrica in conjunction with the other medications I have to pay for so I had to switch to a different antidepressant.

Hope this helps....

-Zandria

11/03/2009 05:10 AM
billiekay08
billiekay08  

I take both..

08/03/2012 07:51 AM
mem6449

My pdoc (psychiatrist) refuses to let me take cymbalta and tramadaol simultaneously b/c he says that the two are contraindicated. apparently taking them together can precipitate a serotonergic crisis, i. e., serotonin syndrome. This distresses me b/c tramadol worked for my pain, but I do trust my pdoc. He is very good at what he does and knows his meds.

-gentle hugs-

TeaButterfly

08/10/2012 01:44 PM
tiredlegs
tiredlegs  

I took them both at the same time but a couple of my doctors weren't crazy about it. Something about being at a higher risk for sezures

08/10/2012 02:13 PM
FibroinNGA

I took them both together and did fine for a while. But when I had to increase my tramadol my third dose I had a serotonin overload. So now I take Wellbutrin & tramadol.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved