MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/07/2010 06:02 PM

The Guaifenesin Protocol

Stella77
Stella77  

It took over 2 years for a doctor to finally diagnose me with fibro because every test I ever did came back normal. Even though I suspected fibro, no doctor would believe me, until I finally found one.

My doctor, Dr. Paul St. Amand in Marina del Rey, CA, discovered the ingredient (Guaifenesin) in Mucinex reverses the symptoms of fibromyalgia. I started the Guaifenesin Protocol Jan. 2007. I was bedridden when I started it and now I am working part-time, going to the gym regularly, and have a good quality of life. I still have flares, but they don't put me in bed anymore nor last for days. I have aches and pains and still take pain meds, but it's not a 10++ anymore, usually from 1-5. I rarely get the chronic fatigue anymore, nor the weekly migraines or the prickly stabbing and burning sensations on my skin. Even the IBS is gone.

Dr. St. Amand wrote an excellent book: "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." His medical assistant, Claudia, also wrote a book "Fibromyalgia: The First Year." They both can be found at Amazon.com or your local library. Both of them have fibro themselves.

Here is Dr. St. Amand's website: www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com.

09/07/2010 06:10 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I know you strongly believe in this treatment as do some others and although it may or may not work for others just like any other form of treatment it's worth looking into for some. Since you will be leaving us for a bit and won't be able to let others know as much about it I will sticky this thread so it's up there for members to view, consider and discuss with their dr. Hugs Wink

01/07/2011 05:55 AM
faroutback

I'll check into this website, although at this point I approach any treatment with caution. Nevertheless, thanks for posting it, and congratulations on your improvement! You'll notice, even on MDJunction, there are ads about "cures" for whatever ails you. That's why I'm so leary of anyone claiming that one substance or another is the final answer for fibro. Let's face it, no one knows for sure what causes it, so it is a hit and miss deal to find something that helps. It isn't even known why antidepressants help, and that makes many doctors attribute fibro to "mental causes". That is a crock of you-know-what! Anyway, thanks for the post.

01/07/2011 06:46 AM
debbieWill
debbieWill  

I am in remission since 2007 due to the Guai Protocol. It's not just the pill. But the low carb diet and fixing any hypoglycemia-type symptoms we all seem to have due to the cravings for carbs we have. SO yes the pill is very hard and is like prepping for chemo-therapy, but if you indeed have Fibro and are fine with getting sicker for a while before you get better then it does work for every Fibro. The only way it won't work is if you feel too sick to handle it and quit. And that's ok, I now understand and have had to learn to accept that some get horrible symptoms like daily migraines and they can't handle it.

But I encourage everyone who has to quit for a while to come back and try again, as that symptom may not come up the 2nd time. This has been here for 40 years and it is proven. It is a 501(c)3 charity and they DO NOT advertise and all proceeds go to the CIty of Hope. They HAD to write the book since they were so overwhelmed with patients they had to say NO to. There used to be only 1000 in the guiagroup, now IT is up to 2000 and getting crazy full. They people running it and the Doc's office are working so hard it's crazy.

The Guaifenisen Protocol works for all Fibros, but for those that cannot or refuse to be sicker for a while and quit does not mean it wouldn't have worked for them. It is NOT for the feint of heart. If it WERE easy then we'd all be better. My own Mom and sister have Fibro and refuse to even discuss doing the protocol or even the DIET.

Some people just will NOT do it out of fear and doubt.

Honest to God I did it to prove it was stupid!!! So I was dead sure to follow the directions to the letter and in 4 months I was having great days, in 8 months I could jog a bit and in 12 months I felt fine, then in month 14 my last symptom, anxiety, vanished.

Now I cheated, and took pain pills every day of the yuckky period of the protocol. So I am not a good example. But screw that! I got done in 14 months after being bed-ridden and undiagnosed in 03-05. Whoo hoo!!!

There are 1000's of people who say "I tried it and it didn't work" All that means is that someone told them to take guai, they went out and got some guai and got sicker and quit. They did not do the diet, or read the book, or became a member of the support group to make sure they were doing it properly, and not using any body products or touching anything that is contraindicated with the guai.

OR they never raised their dose high enough to get better and stayed in a limbo land. So these people are all out there telling everyone that guai sucks while 99% of us who made it through are all out again and don't have time to defend the protocol. We have LIVES again. So it's a losing battle to convince anyone.

When they get sick enough, they all turn to guai in desperation IF they are lucky enough to have heard about it. So consider yourself as being informed now.

And join the group and hang out and meet some very upbeat gals who are putting their Fibro in it's place. But you HAVE to read the book first. And you can get them on Ebay for cheap or the library if you are poor. It is a good general Fibro book and even if all you do is the diet, you will feel half-way better. Then after the diet sinks in you'll be strong enough to attempt the pills.

I can now run 10-12 miles a day with zero Fibro after effects. My FIbro is GONE! My cravings are GONE! it is a hell of a miracle.

It's hell, and then it's a miracle if you can make it through the hell.

01/07/2011 06:55 AM
ouchee
ouchee  

I have the book sitting on my shelf and I tried the treatment as well. I was really excited about it and I've tried so many things I can't even tell you. I've had this since I was about ten years old.

I followed the treatment to a T and I thought I was starting to get better and I kept getting worse and was excited about it because according to this treatment you get worse before you actually get better. Needless to say I had to go over a few things because the worse never got better and I went back through the protocol to see if I was doing something wrong but I wasn't.

My assessment is that it's like anything else. It works for some and not for others. It did not work for me and I never want to go through that pain for that long ever again.

This is just my opinion but if it helps you, I say go for it. Smile

01/07/2011 07:14 AM
ouchee
ouchee  

Okay I just read more of the thread and I have to say that your statements are very bold.

I did do everything to the letter and I have to say that I have a very high pain tolerance as well. I take very little medication because I don't like to take it and I did take pain medication during this time to help me through so I can truly say that I wasn't a "wimp" during the whole process and to insist that some people just can't "stick it out" and give up is offensive. I'm not a quitter and never have been.

I stuck it out for months and did follow everything to the letter. I threw everything I had away and started from scratch, even my make up came from "Cleur" which is one of the companies that has all of the products without the salicalites that are harmful.

I know you are excited about your new found health and I think that is awesome and everyone wants to help everyone else and tell them how they were healed but please be a little more sensitive to those of us that have tried everything. And..........please don't assume that because this has worked for you and all others in the book that is will magically work for the rest of us. It might and then again it might not but to insist that we didn't try hard enough or long enough when you have no idea just how hard someone really did try is a little harsh.

I pray that everyone does get healed just like you.....Amen to that. However, it seems to mean that a lot of people who are healed at one point or another seem to lay the blame on the individual if they are not healed and that irks me to no end. It's like saying, "if you had more faith in God you would be healed by now". Same concept here, "if you would just follow the protocol you would be healed". Not true. I'm sorry for my boldness but, please don't judge others when you have no idea what they have been through or how hard they have tried.

I pray that your healing lasts and I am truly happy for you. I do appreciate your input but please be careful of your assumptions.

Thanks for listening all my peeps. I love you all dearly. This just really hit home for me after a whole life of "it's all in your head" or "you haven't prayed hard enough" or "you need to do it this way" or "fibro is not real" and the list goes on and on. I do not mean to offend anyone with this information, just enlighten people that don't know my heart or perserverance. Cool

Post edited by: ouchee, at: 01/07/2011 07:17 AM

01/07/2011 08:11 AM
debbieWill
debbieWill  

I'm sorry to upset you, but i just got private messages that bitched me out for NOT posting my story and my experience with others who quit.

You do have to dedicate a full year or even two depending on when your Fibro exploded. MONTHS in not the right answer. You should have been in hell at that time. If you said 2 years and told me your dosage was at least 2400mg then I would take you seriously and question you further and find out why it did not work for you. There is always a clear reason for it NOT working and I can help to find the blocker, etc.

If anyone quits in MONTHS, just when it is beginning to take it's toll on you, then you no nothing of what you could've experienced had you gone a full year or two.

If you expected to get better in only MONTHS then you were mis-informed and you did quit. Come back. It's not too late.

If it were easy we'd all do it and we'd all be better. But you cannot say it did not work if you only did it for "months" That is not fair to others who ARE strong enough to get through to the other side and find remission.

Please stop the ney-saying for the sake of the lives of so many who CAN be helped.

I'm begging you to just leave the topic alone. your experience is not a valid answer as you quit in only "months."

01/07/2011 08:22 AM
ouchee
ouchee  

Once again you are not hearing what I said. You don't know how long as I expressed months. Hummm how many months equal approximately 2 1/2 years???? You can do the math.

I will leave this subject alone as I can tell your mind is closed and "hearing" is not an option at this point. I feel as though my words are falling on deaf ears. I can respectfully say that we agree to disagree.

Bowing out now. God bless you and the road you are on. Smile

01/07/2011 08:47 AM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lets watch how we talk to other members, please. No one can come on here & tell us that one specefic treatment works for everyone & that other members aren't strong enough to make it to the 'other side' of the treatment. That is very insinuative & will not be tolerated. I will be watching posts on this thread, as well as other threads. We are here to support one another, & offer advise & tell our experiences. Please refrain from comments like these.

Sha-Marie

01/07/2011 08:49 AM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thank you, Stella, for the link. I actually have the book, 'Fibromyalgia, the first year'. I still haven't read the whole thing, but the parts that I have read are very positive, I do have to say. Wink Thanks again!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved