MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/30/2010 02:11 PM

how to get a dr to give pain meds

hope4me
hope4me  

I have tried to get some pain meds just for when im in the worst pain, while im seing what meds work for me. I get nothing.What magic words or conv. is there to get help?

07/30/2010 02:18 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

LOL...well considering 3 PCPs I've asked since my diagnosis all had the same response..."Opiates don't work on fibro pain" all I can say is good luck. Their refusal really irks me because I was at a conference on fibro and Dr. Robert Bennett said that there have been NO double-blind studies of any opiate for fibro pain.

I even asked my mental health counselor if my medical records were flagged or something and she said no. So ...

Have you tried Cymbalta, Lyrica, Savella, or Gabapentin yet? If not, you'll probably have to go through all those before they'll give you anything else for pain. Last time I asked I was told to be grateful for my Cymbalta and gabapentin as "neither one is inexpensive!"...did I mention I get my medical care at the Veteran's Administration hospital?

07/30/2010 02:34 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, Hope4Me, welcome to the group!

I don't have as severe a case as some folks here do; Cymbalta does it for me all by itself! That and getting enough sleep (Trazodone works for me) as deep sleep is so important for muscle repair. I haven't tried opiates for fibro, so I don't know if they help, but I think they're mostly taken as needed for breakthrough pain. Usually, the meds Rayn mentioned are what most people use for managing the day-to-day pain. I hope one of these works for you - best of luck, Jeni

07/30/2010 02:48 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

If you have been through those or are currently on one or more, try asking for Tramadol. It's some kind of non-narcotic pain pill that is stronger than OTC's but doesn't have the potential for abuse as do opiates. And a lot of our members actually do well on Tramadol.

Getting narcotic painkillers is going to get more and more difficult for us fibromytes. There has been a big increase in overdoses in chronic pain patients and now the FDA wants our docs to stop rxing the big guys, Oxycontin, methadone & morphine unless it will "cure" a patient or the patient has terminal cancer. So the FDA is cracking down and we're the poor unfortunates who are going to pay the price...in untreated pain.

So probably there will be a big increase in overdoses using sleeping meds and other non-opiate meds and MAYBE then the FDA will figure out it's not the pills causing the overdoses, it's the bloody pain!

But let me just say that I take Cymbalta, Gabapentin, Flexaril and Klonopin and I'm currently in a remission, except a little "sparkler" pain in my hands and of course my ever present arthritis. So opiates aren't necessarily the answer to your pain.

07/30/2010 02:58 PM
hope4me
hope4me  

I want to thank you all for replies, I was so against doing the pain killer thing. It is just masking the pain. I have cut out everything, caffine,smoking,drinking, and now thinking about going vegan...( i dont think i can) but i heard that helps.I am currentley taking savella,trazadone, and voltren.The Voltren scares me though as its a antinflamitory and isnt good for long term use. I have had so many med problems so i know all about the pain killers and how they are.It seems my dr is getting tired of me coming in and telling her that im still in alot of pain no matter what i do.Last time she said rudely, well the only other thing i can do is refer you to ruemetologist or pain man. dr which i have already seen. I just on one hand very thankful to finally been diagnosed,instead of always being told its all in my head. But yet aggravated dealing with the new meds side affects, and still in so much pain.Thank you all so much though your advice was very helpful

07/30/2010 03:21 PM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

Hi again , just sent you a post in the other thread. Laughing Have you thought about getting a new dr. and getting a referral to a different rheumy, one who treats fibromites regularly? Might be an asnwer to better meds that actually help. Most of us have had to wade through many combinations of this and that before our "magic coctail" appeared.

I take Tramadol and Celexa, opiates just make me sick and Cymbalta gave me side-affects. For sleep I take Melatonin sometimes along with Ambien.

Good luck with whatever you do and hope you get some relief soon.

07/30/2010 03:25 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Good for you for making all those changes! I quit smoking decades ago but I've still got a small coffee habit and even drink once in a while although some of my meds say not to until you learn how they affect you. Is the voltren a pill or a topical painkiller?

Your doctor doesn't sound all that sympathetic. Can you find another PCP or does your insurance confine you to one? Have you been to see a rheumatologist or a neurologist? Some members have had good luck with them, others just got referred back to their PCP.

Has your doc checked your vitamin D levels? Most Americans and nearly all fibromytes are deficient in Vitamin D. I thought no way could I be lacking, I drink lots of milk, eat yogurt, take supplements & drive a convertible. But I was in the lowest range of "normal" so my doc said to take 1000ius daily. All I could find was 2000ius of D3 and she said "perfect". So I've been taking that and after 6 months I was better but still wasn't up to the middle of the normal range where she wants me.

Vitamin D deficiency can lead to a lot of the same symptoms as fibromyalgia, specifically sore muscles and fatigue. Well I still have errands to run, even if I can't get my prescriptions today....

07/30/2010 05:24 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I'm surprised that the pain management doctor didn't help. Currently I'm on Gabapentin from my rheumatologist and and a pain med from my pain management for breakthrough pain.

I suggest trying to find a rheumatology practice that has its own pain management doctors. Then they can share records and read what they think you need.

07/30/2010 06:28 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

That's a good suggestion Brandi. Some Pain management docs are all about the rx's, others are all about exercise, deep breathing, meditation, etc. Not exactly helpful when you're hurting so bad all you can think about it the pain. They ought to have different names for the two clinics LOL...

Whoever you call, ask the receptionist if they treat fibromyalgia. We're not too terribly popular with some doctors. They dislike us because even if we follow their treatment plan 100%, we are never "cured". We frustrate them, so they'll pass us back to our PCPs who only referred us elsewhere to try and get rid of us...

05/14/2011 03:23 AM
Fibroteddy

I am sooooooo tired of my rheum telling me to exercise, breath deeply and meditate!! I do darn it and guess what....the pain is still there...LOL!! That is when you know that they have studied the field, but never felt the pain. I imagine a poor woman in labor and her husband telling her to just breath. He will never feel labor pains and breathing doesn't make it go away. At the very least it makes me smile and not want to strangle the doctor. Needless to say...I am still looking for a doctor that cares. I have found that massage therapy does give some relief and so does a chiropractor. Some is definately better than none. :0)

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved