MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/21/2010 07:48 AM

does the doc know?(page 2)

RedGirl

I tried Neurontin years ago but think the doc who prescribed it didn't tell me how to properly titrate up on it so it made me feel totally weird. For that reason, I've been afraid to try it again, although I'm thinking of discussing it with my NP. If you are doing well on Neurontin, it seems pretty ridiculous to me that your doc would want you to change to an incredibly expensive medication. (Makes me wonder what is in it for her but then I'm the suspicious type.) I do take Lyrica 75 mg twice a day. For a different problem (RSD) I took 300mg twice a day for a few months. I gained 30-40 pounds on that dose and have had a very difficult time taking that weight off. It was as if someone had turned on my eating switch and it wouldn't turn off no matter what I did. I also had swelling/fluid retention everywhere (hands, feet, arms, legs, face, neck) at the higher dose but don't seem to have it at the lower dose I'm on now. I HATE the weight gain. Lyrica does not give me enough pain relief that I'm able to do much exercise. I have to take Vicodin with it to be able to get to work, clean, or do much of anything else other than be in bed. So I guess I've rambled all over the place with this response. The bottom line is if you were doing well on what you were taking, in your shoes, I'd be resisting the change unless some really really good reasons were explained to me.

Good luck!

Red

05/21/2010 08:59 AM
santos63
santos63  

It makes perfect sense that your doc deferred to your pdoc when it comes to antidepressants. I couldn't take lyrica - suicidal, or cymbalta - unable to urninate. Neurontin did not help. Ultram didn't help, so because my doc can't find a non-narcotic pain med for me, he tells me to take tylenol. What a bunch of BS! I have to make do with moist heat for the pain, and exercise. I'm not sure walking helps, but it is exercise and gets me out of the house. I have to stop very often and sit to rest my legs because of the pain.

05/21/2010 09:08 AM
RedGirl

Oh how I definitely agree with you Ana! What a bunch of BS. We patients who have chronic pain deserve to be treated like human beings and to have medications to help us with our pain. If that means narcotics, then I think narcotics should be prescribed -- unless you have tendencies toward addiction or have had addiction problems in that past. My daughter has had addiction problems and her drug of choice was any kind of narcotic she could get her hands on. She had been in recovery for some years but then began having extreme pain over two years ago at which time her doc, who was fully aware of her addiction issues, prescribed Vicodin. That started a vicious cycle of problems for her and she began having drug seeking behaviors and got into even more physical problems because of it. So she can no longer be prescribed any narcotics which is a huge problem since she has severe pain. She takes suboxone but not for pain control. It is prescribed to her to control her addiction problems.

All that said, unless you have addiction issues, I fully agree it is a bunch of BS to not be prescribed whatever meds are necessary to at least help with our pain.

Hugs and more hugs,

Red

05/22/2010 12:30 PM
greenteahero

okay thanks for all the replies! I am gonna try tapering off gapabentin/neurontin for now, because its a little pricey when i have to pay out of pocket. maybe the doctor is right and i dont' need the meds at all.

but you're right, nowhere near 800 per month of lyrica - like you said natalia, its pricey out of pocket.

well they're gonna get my medical records from the last place i was, and maybe that'll convince her to prescribe it...

i will certainly try to stand up to the doctor next visit, but its hard when its a new doctor... i dont want ot be kicked out bcuz its the cheapest self-pay clinic i can find...

Post edited by: greenteahero, at: 05/22/2010 12:34 PM

05/22/2010 01:12 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

If your meds are working for you insist that they not change them. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved