MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2010 08:57 PM

Adderall vs. Nuvigil

KaseyLeeRose
KaseyLeeRose  

Long story short...but my new Doctor doesnt have the license to write scripts for Adderall...which I take for A.D.D. and since I dont see a psychiatrist until the end of July, I have no way of getting a refill on my script which was being given to me by my old PCP who ended up sharing info with my mom and vice versa and now wont refill script...Anyways...Point is...my new PCP was able to give me a weeks worth of Nuvigil to try...has anyone taken both of these? If so, in your opinion, was the adderall better? I am nervous, frustated and pissed. My fibro isnt helping because Im constantly exhausted and now having issues with my bladder and cervix along with severe back and head pains followed with nausea and other stuff...Im going to see a pain management doctor tomorrow and I have my biopsy done on my cervix for wednesday....im just STRESSED!

05/10/2010 10:34 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Nuvigil is a newer drug hard to get approved through insurance if you dont have certain disorders such as Narcolepsy, Sleep Shift Disorder or Sleep Apnea so good luck. They even hassled me with a prior auth and I have Narcolepsy but my dr messed up the form so it took me longer to get mine but I finally did. They are very strict with it. I dont know many that can get that one without one of those disorders. I know they are more lenient with Provigil now but its not as effective and has more side effects which is why they came out with Nuvigil.

05/11/2010 04:41 AM
KaseyLeeRose
KaseyLeeRose  

They Gave me A 7 day sample and I have express script ins. for my scripts...So I bet it will be hard to get. Im just so frustrated!!!

05/11/2010 07:31 AM
RedGirl

Kasey,

When you filled out paperwork at your doctor's office, did you give them permission to share information with your mother? (My adult daughter always does that but she doesn't have to if she chooses not to do so.) If you did not give them this permission, then I believe the doctor has violated HIPAA laws and that is a very bad thing. I think your doc can listen to your mother if she calls and she actually gets through to him/her but for the doc to share information with your mother, unless you've given them permission to do so, is against the HIPAA law as I understand it. You can look up HIPAA and go to the federal government website for additional information about that. I can't remember the website but if you look up HIPAA you'll be able to find it. Be sure you are actually looking at the government website. (Also seems a little odd that your new doc can't write scripts for Adderall but I know those things can definitely vary by doctor. In Illinois docs have to have special training to be able to write scripts for certain meds but I didn't think Adderall was one but I certainly could be wrong about that.)

And, just so everyone knows, I am NOT a lawyer, but I do work for one and we have to be incredibly careful about HIPAA. I AM NOT GIVING LEGAL ADVICE.

I understand your frustration about not being able to get your meds. Good luck!

Hugs,

Red

05/11/2010 10:30 AM
KaseyLeeRose
KaseyLeeRose  

I didnt give them permission. And Adderall is a controlled substance so it is written on a triplicate and he doesnt do those I guess. I go see a Pain Management doctor today...Im just Mega Stressed. So Many Medical Issues To Deal With Right Now. Tomorrow I Got In for My Biopsy For my Dysplasia On my Cervix.

05/11/2010 11:42 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I deal with several serious medical conditions myself and it's best to try as hard as possible to take things one step at a time, day by day. I stay as strong and positive as possible even in the worse situations. Sometimes it's all you can do to keep from falling apart. Good luck.

05/11/2010 11:48 AM
KaseyLeeRose
KaseyLeeRose  

Thanks Stacey...Im trying to stay positive and keep my faith in God...But sometimes I just want to lock myself into my apartment, turn the air down, put PJs on, lay down on my heating pad and sleep for days, haha.

Today I took the Nuvigil with my Adderall and im still tired. I did only get about 6 hours of sleep last night though so that might be why...but im nervous about taking Nuvigil without the adderall...then i'd really be tired. What dosage do you take? And I also got prescribed Norco...is that the same as percocet?

05/11/2010 01:34 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I take 250mg of Nuvigil, Norco is more like Vicodin

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved