MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/14/2010 12:00 PM

Piece of information on the low Vitamen D Problem

Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

I ran across this today and thought I'd pass it on.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/184407.php

04/14/2010 02:46 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

good article thanks for sharing

04/14/2010 03:27 PM
crystalvision
crystalvision  

Thank you! That is a huge problem with me, I was put on 50,000 IU of D a week. my levels are always in the toilet! I can not seem to retain D. I have spend at least a hour a day in the sun, weather permitting to try to boost my levels.

04/14/2010 03:53 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I watched a segment on Dr Oz, many more diseases were involved in the deficiency of Vitamin D but also many everyday healthy people are D defficient. He tested his audience and 70% were defficient. He said it's more common than people think. I call mine Sunshine in a bottle Smile

04/14/2010 04:15 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

When I was first tested I was at the very bottom of the low/normal scale. I was surprised because I take supplements, drink milk and occasionally put the top down on my convertible.

My doc recommended I take AT LEAST 1000 IUs of D3 a day. The Canteen at the VA only had 2000 IUs and she said that was fine. I was just retested and optimal levels are greater than 30. I'm at 32 now. I said "so should I cut out the supplements now?" And she said emphatically NO!...keep up what I'm doing.

Apparently you cannot have too much vitamin D.

04/14/2010 06:58 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Wow, interesting, Nitalynn ~~~

Even tho' I drink milk regularly and have taken calcium supplement for years (even Fosomax for several), I would never think I could be Vitamin D deficient now but ....

I m adding this to my list to dicuss with PCP on the 26th . I m soooo tired of feeling so rotten anymore, I d take almost anything to feel better for more than a day at a time .

Marilyn

04/14/2010 07:06 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I was deficient even though I was taking supplements as well, I was taking twice the recommended daily allowance in my multivitamin and in my calcium, and spent hours in the sun every day, and I was still low!

04/14/2010 07:18 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

I too was low.. with a level of 11 when they prefer 50 or above. My doc put me on 50,000 IU a week for 8 weeks, we just drew blood today to test it again, and will see if it is up in normal or what..

I didn't notice any improvement in pain or energy yet though

04/14/2010 07:50 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Tnt, I have not noticed any difference since I have been on Vit D either and i have been on it about a year and half. The md did tell me that being deficient can give you aches and pains but with fibro how would you notice the difference.

04/14/2010 08:05 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I agree with BC...how would you know if it helped or not? I started on gabapentin about the same time I started taking the D3, so which has helped?

I read somewhere that if you live in North America, you can sit in the sun all winter long and it's not close enough to provide you with enough D3. And then there are the sunscreens we slather on to protect our skin. There is one doc who is getting all kinds of flack because he's saying we should get 15 minutes of sun, particularly on our temples(?) THEN slather the SPF30, 40, 85 on.

Neutrogena makes a great sunscreen that is like a solid deodorant...I buy a new one every summer. I'd use a moisturizer with sunscreen after my shower, then after riding around in the open car I'd use the solid stuff later...now I'll use a plain moisturizer and use the solid stuff after I've been in the sun for awhile. And I'll take my supplements.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved