MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/23/2010 07:39 PM

Started back on Cymbalta

Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

So, I started back on Cymbalta today. This is the one that made me have suicidal thoughts a few years back. I'm trying it for the second time, hoping those thoughts we just random, not med related.

Wish me luck. I'm emotionally under the weather today. Got the blahs..a bunch of acheys too.

LynnetteDizzy

03/23/2010 07:41 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I wish you luck, please be careful and look out for the signs. Someone close to you knows the signs to look for as well right? I hope it works this go around it seems like an effective drug for many people so I hope it does the trick for you as well with no negative side effects. Hugs, Stacey Wink

03/23/2010 09:07 PM
bittersweetlife

I certainly hope you do better on it this time. Please be very careful. Keep us posted of your progress also.

03/23/2010 11:01 PM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

Hi

I am on cymbalta. I like it. You know the symptoms of what led to your " dark thoughts" so just keep aware of your thoughs. When on cymbalta be extra carefull with new meds. Pain meds or other depressent medication. It raises the seritonin and you can get to much. I had an o.d. of it when I went on tramadol. Both good meds, but not together. Best wishes for you

03/24/2010 06:00 AM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

Thanks ladies for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

03/25/2010 03:07 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

I've been on cymbalta for a few years and haven't had a suicidal thought since I added it and some other meds in 2006. I'm hoping yours weren't caused by the Cymbalta; It's really been great for my pain! You might ask your pdoc if this will add too much to any other antidepressants you may be taking; You may be able to adjust your meds to accomodate the new one. I'd start on the Cymbalta, then talk about any other anti-d(s) later. Best of luck and I'll pray for you!

03/25/2010 03:44 PM
RedGirl

Lynnette,

People are probably sick and tired already of hearing me say to keep a journal but I'd really suggest one in this kind of situation noting how you are feeling both physically and emotionally.

I took Cymbalta for two or three years and it worked for me to help control my FM symptoms. I don't recall any suicidal thoughts while I was on it although I have struggled with having suicidal thoughts at times. My biggest problem with suicidal thoughts was during the time period when the Effexor I was taking just rather suddenly stopped working. Thankfully my daughter was living with me at the time and insisted I see my doctor and truthfully tell him what was going on. She even insisted on going with me to that doctor appt so I'd "tell the truth" as she put it. So it was a very good thing I had someone with me during that time keeping track of me! I had a problem with Cymbalta causing profuse sweating. That is a side effect I seem to have with other medications too. I also sweat as one of my FM symptoms so when I put all the sweating together it just adds up! Please consider having a family member or friend monitor how you are doing this time with the Cymbalta.

I also had suicidal thoughts when my aunt was extremely ill with cancer and after she passed so I have to be very careful with making sure I'm on the right anti-depressant meds but I am also diagnosed with depression. (I take two anti-depressants at this time.)

I take Lyrica for my FM. Although that isn't a med that I particularly like it does help keep the flares down. I don't take the "recommended" dose of Lyrica since it is too much for my body to handle. I still have problems from my FM but it seems like of the "fibromyalgia meds" Lyrica is the one I tolerate the best.

I've gotten off the subject as I usually do.

My very best wishes and positive thoughts are being sent your way with your new trial of Cymbalta!

Hugs too!

Red Smile

03/25/2010 04:19 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I keep a journal for my tdoc. I'm supposed to evaluate my mood twice a day and my anxiety level. I'm also suppose to record how many hours I've slept. I also added my pain level to it. The shrink stuff is on a 1=fine 5=horrible and the pain is on the usual 1=no pain, 10=passed out from the pain.

It sounds complicated but it's not. I also write down if I've got a new symptom or a migraine, but I try to be concise...docs hate too much detail.

03/25/2010 04:22 PM
Feebee
Feebee  

Hi Lynette, I think that 100% of people prescribed antidepressents whether they be ssri's or snri's will find that what works for one person can be totally wrong for another. I had mild serotonin syndrome even on low dose amitriptylline, then was put on citalopram and had a major episode an hour after 1 realtively low dose... just didn't suit me. Effexor seems ok for me regarding side effects except I am now finding that it may contribute to the muscle twitching and fasciulations - I kinda hope that's what it is. I have had times where I found myself feeling what I call "dangerously calm and detatched". I have had fleeting suicidal thoughts but my psychologist is confident that that's all they are and that i would never act on them.. as am I. Cocktails of drugs are sometimes the things that get us in trouble so I agree journalling how you feel on certain medications is and excellent idea as you forget so quickly how you were feeling weeks ago. Good Luck. Feebee

03/25/2010 05:01 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

A good one to use online is

www.moodtracker.com

You can chart your moods, meds and drs there is also a diary. I liked that one alot.

www.patientslikeus.com

This one is ok but I didnt personally love it. I dont really go on either anymore but if you are interested in tracking moods you should check these out.

Hugs, Stacey Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved