MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/12/2010 11:00 AM

MAX DAILY DOSE NEURONTIN/GABAPENTIN

Moira

My doctor (a Dr of Internal medicine) has informed me that the Maximum Daily intake of Neurontin/ Gabapentin should not exceed 1800mg

He told me that is he ordered a higher dose for extended use, that he would receive a toxicity caution from the pharmacist.

I hope this is helpful to folks who are having difficult symptoms at the very high doses.

Of course, ask your own Dr and please always,always ask your pharmacist.

Moira

03/12/2010 11:06 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm confused did he tell you he did it by mistake on another patient and would be getting a letter or wanted to try it on you and risk toxicity and then to just stop? I'm lost.

03/12/2010 03:24 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Stacey, I think she meant IF he prescribed that much, he'd get a warning.

Moira, I'm currently taking 1,800mg a day myself. Days like today, when I'm flaring up, I wish I could take more. But of course I won't.

03/15/2010 04:27 AM
Moira

Yeh, Naddy. That's exactly what the doc meant. He said he will increase me up to the max safe limit of 1800mg per day (I expect it will be something like 300mg every 4 hrs all around the clock, but I'm not sure. I wake up in the night in pain anyway so why not have a water bottle and a pill dish next to the bed.) I wish I could have something more effective too. Codeine with zero tylenol would be nice- or some good marijuana. I'ts not like I'm gonna be making any life/death decisions or operating heavy machinery anyway.

I am in flare right now. I hurts like hell. The onset felt different with the gabapentin on board. I didn't notive much increase in pain the first couple dats. walking was harder. I dropped things more and my hands and feet were sore. I had more than usual trouble sleeping. Then yesterday I woke up in full horrendus flare.

Moira

03/15/2010 04:37 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

see I was told that was the highest dose they could give after I went to another doc who had me on 4800mg of neurotine,I had horrible effects and was like the walking dead..dont anyone let a doc put you higher then 1800mg

03/15/2010 09:15 AM
Moira

My cousin is going thru a complete med taper- all the way to zero mg of antything. She was so over-medicated,some of the meds were making her sick an neutontin was one of them at 1200mg ever 4 hrs. I can't even do the math.

Right now she's sleeping a lot and in pain and very narcoleptic as she comes off all the meds. As soon as she is down to zero she gets new evals and new meds. Dear sweet Cousin- she has had fibro diagnosed for about 12 years- and also has other medical issues and some new 'mysterious' lab results. I hope she's ok.

As much as I want pain relief, and the gabapentin/neurontin gives some, I will never go past that 1800mg line that seems to have been established quite recently.

I hurt my had opening an open box of granola (?) this morning, Strained my back trying to feed an overenthusiastic cat and felt like superwoman when I put down my crutches and used both hands to lift and pour an almost full jug of milk. (Can I have a gold star for my milk effort please?)

03/15/2010 11:02 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You most definitely deserve one.so here it is.

Med levels vary for each person I was on 2800mgs per day for almost 2 years and loved it. Would still be on it but insurance won't pay for it anymore.

03/16/2010 01:15 AM
Moira

Thanks for the Gold in the milk jug lifting event.

My cousin was on a very high dose of gabapentin, and some other stuff. Coming off the meds of difficult. Hopefully with a med-free brand new assessment by new an improved doctors she can get the relief she needs.

I am in a wicked flare right now. Everything hurts and I am having trouble thinking BUT I have to go on, I can't hide under the covers and be warm and still. I got appointments to go to and bills to pay , Drs to call and a very boring Civil Suit to keep tabs on. I want my gaba upped again so i am closer to the 1800mg day. My Dr is cautious cuz I had a bad reaction the first time, when a hospital took me from zero to 1600mg in one week.

Moira

09/18/2012 08:21 AM
markr

I take Gabapentin or here in Spain Gabapentina and I take 1200mg in the morning 900mg afternoon and 1200 at night

A total daily dosage of 3300mg this was prescribed by the top neurologist at London's Chelsea/Westminster hospital.

Regards,

Mark.

10/26/2012 01:07 PM
luxxregal
luxxregal  

Moira, I'm afraid this information is completely bogus. First, it is nearly impossible to overdose on gabapentine. 9000mg doses have been reported w/o incident. Someone who isn't me will sometimes take 4000mg twice a day for a nice mellow 10hrs (each dosing last at maximum 5-7hrs regardless of dose amount) and the only side effects that come after abruptly stopping on such high doses are anxious feelings similar to a mild withdrawal. Doses must be tapered down if you make the personal choice to experiment with your doses.

When you hear a doctor saying this, they are outright and knowingly lying to you to scare you into not doing the above mentioned. Hope this dispels any false fears that doctors seem to want to spread. As always never just ignore a doctor but temper what he says with your own research.

Post edited by: luxxregal, at: 10/26/2012 10:00 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved