MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2008 09:00 PM

Donating Unused Meds To Free Clinics

cadburry
cadburry  

I asked my pharmacist today what I should do with all the meds I'm not able to use because they make me sick and she said that I should donate them to the free clinic. I asked her unbeleivingly, are you serious they use other peoples meds and she said yes they do.

Well tomarrow I'm walking in there with a little basket full lol.

I just thought I would get the word out so that some of you might ask your pharmacists about this. I never thought they would do something like that, but I guess they do!

Well thats it, I'll shut up now!W00t

04/24/2008 09:14 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi...I thought that was against the law.... your scrip was yours and only yours....... I had over $8,000 worth the fentanyl and had to flush it because there was no where to take it because of federal law..........

Craig

04/24/2008 10:53 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

Well apearantly this is legal as this is what the pharmacist at Walgreens told me to do with my meds.

I'm sure I will have to show an ID and sign some papers.

04/24/2008 11:11 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

guess you are right..... some how the Dr here in Fl and the pharmacy were wrong....

Donation of prescription drugs to the program, procedure--distribution to out-of-state charitable repositories, when.

196.979. 1. Any person, including but not limited to a prescription drug manufacturer or health care facility, may donate prescription drugs to the prescription drug repository program. The drugs shall be donated at a pharmacy, hospital, or nonprofit clinic that elects to participate in the prescription drug repository program and meets the criteria for participation established by rule of the department pursuant to section 196.984. Participation in the program by pharmacies, hospitals, and nonprofit clinics shall be voluntary. Nothing in sections 196.970 to 196.984 shall require any pharmacy, hospital, or nonprofit clinic to participate in the program.

2. A pharmacy, hospital, or nonprofit clinic which meets the eligibility requirements established in section 196.984 may dispense prescription drugs donated under the program to persons who are residents of Missouri and who meet the eligibility requirements of the program, or to other governmental entities and nonprofit private entities to be dispensed to persons who meet the eligibility requirements of the program. A prescription drug shall be dispensed only pursuant to a prescription issued by a health care professional who is authorized by statute to prescribe drugs. A pharmacy, hospital, or nonprofit clinic which accepts donated prescription drugs shall comply with all applicable federal and state laws dealing with the storage and distribution of dangerous drugs and shall inspect all prescription drugs prior to dispensing the prescription drugs to determine that they are not adulterated as described in section 196.095. The pharmacy, hospital, or nonprofit clinic may charge persons receiving donated prescription drugs a handling fee, not to exceed a maximum of two hundred percent of the Medicaid dispensing fee, established by rule of the department promulgated pursuant to section 196.984. Prescription drugs donated to the program shall not be resold. Any individual who knowingly resells any donated prescription drugs pursuant to sections 196.970 to 196.984 shall be guilty of a class D felony.

3. Drugs donated under this section that are not used or accepted by any pharmacy, hospital, or nonprofit clinic in this state may be distributed to out-of-state charitable repositories for use outside of this state. Such donated drugs may be repackaged in a manner appropriate for distribution by participating pharmacies, hospitals, and nonprofit clinics.

(L. 2004 S.B. 1160, A.L. 2006 H.B. 1687)

Craig

04/24/2008 11:28 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

And to think that $8,000 worth of fentanyl could have really helped someone. Well at least you would have helped if you would have known sooner. It's the thought that counts Smile

04/24/2008 11:33 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yep............... is to bad............... but what can you do.?????

04/24/2008 11:37 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

Oh and I forgot to thank you for looking into it on the net!

I appriciate it, hopefully I can learn to do more of that so I also have the facts there.Thanks!

04/25/2008 01:44 AM
ALCSS2008

They told me at the pain clinic that there was something about not flushing unused meds either, something about the water. I took them a large quantity of unuses fentanyl because I was allergic and they disposed of it in the sharps container. One box of this was not even opened. It was sas. Especially for those who need their meds and cannot get them. I was cleaning my house of all meds that I do not use and I am not keeping my pain meds hidden because of having so many different high school kids in and out of my house. I was afraid. I had 60 0.5 Ativans that I had gotten filled and never used. I did flush those.

04/25/2008 04:31 AM
jadecrowe
jadecrowe  

i used to volunteer at our local free clinic, and we were always glad to get donations of medication. we did not, however, keep narcotics in the pharmacy there. they would help patients get their narcotics at a local pharmacy, but none were ever kept on the premises.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved