MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/01/2008 10:03 AM

Supplements, Alternatives and Wholistic Medicine

KayDesigner

I am looking into going to a Wholistic Medicine doctor to see what my options are for alternative meds, supplements, natural options.

I was wondering if anyone has done this? Do these types of doctors / alternatives work? If so, what compounds or supplements do you take?

My main problem is that I have IBS and Gastroparesis. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to any type of medication that my stomach has to process. IV drugs? Bring 'em on...but something my stomach has to process - that's another story. I can take Flexeril but can only take a half at a time and then I deal with it. If it was legal to keep Demerol shots at home and give them to myself, I would. I absolutely struggle with my pain and am non-functional because EVERYTHING makes me sick. If I could just find something that would take the edge off, I feel I'd be better off. Oh well....

OK, enough of that....just curious if anyone has tried any of these things, doctors, acupuncture or massage therapy, etc... I am just trying to 'feel out' my options. Perhaps a combination of prescriptions meds with supplements? Oh goodness, I am sooooo confused!!!

THANKS! you guys are great. Any advice on this would be deeply appreciated.

12/01/2008 10:24 AM
mcbeth
mcbeth  

I have gone to a chiropractor and had massage and they both helped me. the massage therapist is iin the chiropractos office, so I have a 15 min massage before the doc works on my back.

the massage really relaxes my muscles.

12/01/2008 10:52 AM
Starr
Starr  

Massage, all the way! My muscles are so tight that my chiro can't touch me unless I go to him directly after having a massage. Unfortunately, my massage therapist makes his own schedule, and it's mostly nights and weekends, and that doesn't coincide with my chiro, so I haven't seen him in months.

I have tried acupuncture and thought it was working, until I needed to stop for a while due to schduling problems. When I stopped, I saw no change. Since I had been going three times a week and paying the cost all out of pocket because my insurance didn't cover it, I decided to stop.

When I was in Australia, I was under the care of a naturopath and a pain therapist. The naturopath had me on all kinds of drops and a dietary change. I failed miserably on the dietary change because I don't deal well with deprivation or lifestyle changes. And I found no help with the drops.

My pain therapist used trigger point therapy on me (so does current massage therapist). While the treatment itself was quite painful, it released the tightness in my muscles, which made me feel better a day or two afterwards. I saw her about every other week.

12/01/2008 11:12 AM
KayDesigner

Thanks ladies for the info. I am thinking about the whole 'wholistic med' guy (he is an M.D. but also practices wholistic medicine) but I just feel that he is going to want to put me on a whole bunch of supplements, compounds, drops, etc... and if my stomach can't handle much meds now, how in the world am I going to be able to handle that.

Of course, I am speculating - I am not sure what he will say but it is not covered by insurance and am just afraid that I will be spending money that we don't have. (Worked in investment banking and got laid off last April). I am also thinking that perhaps he isn't going to tell me anything new other than what I know already.

I have to do something though - I can't go on like this. I am totally infunctionable. I realize now that this has been coming on for 5-6 years now and I just didn't know it. It struck with a mighty vengeance though in September right before Hurricane Ike hit (I live 40 miles from Galveston). It changed my world! Since then I have barely been able to get out of bed. My God I used to be so active, vital, goal-oriented, strong. I used to take such pride in being able to walk faster than anyone else; such pride in my appearance. Sad

I will definitely look into a good Chiro/Massage Therapy situation. Thank you again so much for the feedback.

12/01/2008 12:42 PM
Starr
Starr  

Kay, forget the used-tos and concentrate on the from-now-ons. Keep that pride in your appearance. I have long believed that if you look good, you feel good. Now okay, that was before Fibro hit, but still...I find that when I take care of my appearance, I feel better about myself, so that always makes things easier.

Don't speculate. That's just another word for worrying. And my motto about worrying is that it does nothing but cause wrinkles. We don't want that!

Now, about this insurance coverage. First of all, I am glad that your wholistic (holistic) guy is also an MD. But since he is an MD, it shouldn't matter what treatment he prescribes for you...it should still be covered. I'll bet there's a loophole out there somewhere. Maybe you and he can find it. Wink

12/01/2008 02:05 PM
shannygirl
shannygirl  

Hi Kay,

Massage has worked wonders for me,I get one every other week and the therapist works well with me.

I am currently trying D-ribose supplement as it is supposed to help with the fatigue and supposedly the deep muscle pain.

I just started it so I have nothing to report as of yet.

I also use lavender in my bedroom to help me sleep better at night. I use one of those diffusers with a lavender honey oil. I am very sensitive to scents and get a migraine if I am around certain things so I am very careful with that.

Denise

12/01/2008 06:22 PM
Janilee

Chiropractic Kniesiologist is for me. He not only worked on my back and my muscles but did the deep massages for me too. Fletch did or does the accupuncture so you might want to ask him about it.

12/02/2008 08:00 AM
janew15

Like you I dont seem to be able to tolerate medicines and supplements, they have too powerful an effect on my system not just my tummy. I recently went off all the herbal stuff, kelp and valerian and 5htp. I just want to get all this stuff out of my system and get a baseline if that makes sense. I have been living on Alleve and decided to give that up too. For the pain I have an arsenal of rice/herbal bags that you stick in the micro or freezer. What I found worked to get rid of the IBS was to eliminate all processed foods. That is pretty much everything in a box or can. It has been really challenging, especially eating out or at parties. I am making all my own food from salad dressings to crackers. Oddly enough instead of feeling deprived I feel like I am eating better than I ever have. Then I try to get some exercise everyday, with a good stretch after the muscles are warm. Good luck to you.

12/02/2008 08:24 AM
KayDesigner

Thank you ALL so much for your advice. I am definitely taking it. I used to be able to take anything - never bothered me. But about 5 years ago, I had foot surgery. EVERY single pain med made me extremely ill - I ended up with 6 different pain meds. I wasn't happy at all about it, but my husband was. Cool LOL - just kidding.

Even Ibuprofen or Tylenol upsets my stomach. I have such severe stomach issues (IBS / Gastroparesis) and a new symptom I started experiencing just this past week. My stomach muscles (especially on right side) feel like I have been doing sit-ups or cracked a rib. Go figure....something else to deal with right?

The IBS and Gastroparesis MAJORLY kicked in this morning and I was in excruciating pain, doubled over, after I ate breakfast. I haven't had that happen in awhile. But through lots of prayer and double dose of Librax, it seems to be subsiding. I won't be eating today though - I am always scared to after I do that for fear of getting sicker. I am like janew though, I try to stear away from processed foods - I cook all my own food.

If you don't mind janew, can you tell me about the rice/herbal bags?

Thanks again to all of you...deeply appreciated!

12/02/2008 08:36 PM
janew15

Sure,

The ones with the herbs I received as a gift but I've seen them at the mall. There is one that is eye shaped that I keep in the freezer and put over my eyes when they get twitching. The scents are very nice and soothing. Then I made two bags one thin and as long as my inseam, it was probably 8x36 before I sewed it. The other one is the about the size of an airline pillow. I filled both with rice, then they go into the microwave for about two minutes give or take. The long one gets draped around my neck when I'm sitting, I even take that one to work with me if I am really hurting. When I get my squirmy legs when I'm going to sleep I'll put that one down between the length of my legs, it makes the squirming stop so I can get to sleep. The other "rice bag" I use in the small of my back or wherever. Hubby borrows it alot too.

I love them the heat is so moist and you wont believe how long they stay warm. Good luck.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved