MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/16/2011 12:55 AM

The new astrology signs...are you for them?

raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

OK, by now you've probably heard that some astrologers say that because of the difference in the way the earth circles the sun, there are 13 signs of the zodiac, not 12. This throws the whole thing off and makes me an Aries, not the quadruple Taurus I've been for 53 years.

So what's your opinion on the whole horoscope-gate? Did your sign change? Do you agree with the changes or like me, you've decided that the person who said the new changes only apply to people born after 2009 is the true "expert"? Or are you a non-believer who is laughing at the furor these astrologers have unleashed by changing our star signs?

BTW...not only is my sun sign in Taurus, but so is my rising sign, my moon sign and one other sign. I am the personification of a true Taurean and that's my story and I'm sticking to it Laughing

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/horoscope-hang-up-earth- rotation-changes-zodiac-signs/

01/16/2011 05:01 AM
mandr2220
mandr2220Posts: 279

Hey rayn! My sign did not change, but then I have never been one to take stock in astrology so my world has not been rocked. I just wonder what give these experts the right to change what has been in place for so many years. I don't really like change so it kinda irritates me. Lol.Tongue

01/16/2011 05:29 AM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

Um...I wonder if Hubby and I will be compatible now.

01/16/2011 11:55 AM
oroman
oroman  

I heard of this the other day and now I see where the new signs has been fitted into. Hum, why did they do this? And no, its not affecting me since its not in Nov-Dec. This kinda of reminds me that "Pluto" is no longer considered a planet. LOL! Wonder what else is going to take change?

Thanks. Olga

01/16/2011 12:23 PM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I don't know much about the new signs. I've always been a Scorpio. My birthday is Nov. 14, so what is my sign?

01/16/2011 02:55 PM
ouchee
ouchee  

just my opinion but I believe that the zodiac is a counterfeit from the devil. Okay I'll shut up now. Cool

01/16/2011 04:22 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

They said on CNN there was no change in Zodiacs, I forget the specifics but there's no 13th afterall. Everything is the same as it always was. Here's the article. Wink

January 13th, 2011

10:11 PM

No, your zodiac sign hasn't changed

Tattoo parlor owners must be salivating. An assertion in a Minneapolis Star Tribune article that our understanding of the zodiac is off by about a month - and that therefore people have been identifying themselves with the wrong sign - caught fire on the internet Thursday, and many folks are in an absolute panic on social media.

"If my zodiac symbol has been changed to a Libra, what am I supposed to do with my Scorpio tattoo?!?!," read one tweet Thursday.

Some vowed to get their tats removed. Others groaned about losing the sign with which they've identified themselves for years. The zodiac and related terms - including Ophiuchus, said to be a 13th and neglected sign - were trending Twitter topics much of Thursday.

But before astrology fans scrape the ink from their arms because they think they're now a Virgo instead of a Libra, they should consider this: If they adhered to the tropical zodiac - which, if they're a Westerner, they probably did – absolutely nothing has changed for them.

That's worth rephrasing: If you considered yourself a Cancer under the tropical zodiac last week, you're still a Cancer under the same zodiac this week.

That's because the tropical zodiac – which is fixed to seasons, and which Western astrology adheres to – differs from the sidereal zodiac – which is fixed to constellations and is followed more in the East, and is the type of zodiac to which the Star Tribune article ultimately refers.

Two zodiacs. That's nothing new.

"This story is born periodically as if someone has discovered some truth. It's not news," said Jeff Jawer, astrologer with Tarot.com.

The hubbub started with Sunday's Star Tribune article, which said the following: "The ancient Babylonians based zodiac signs on the constellation the sun was 'in' on the day a person was born. During the ensuing millenniums, the moon's gravitational pull has made the Earth 'wobble' around its axis, creating about a one-month bump in the stars' alignment."

"When [astrologers] say that the sun is in Pisces, it's really not in Pisces," Parke Kunkle, a board member of the Minnesota Planetarium Society, told the Star Tribune.

"Indeed," the article continued, "most horoscope readers who consider themselves Pisces are actually Aquarians." The article also asserts Scorpio's window lasts only seven days, and that a 13th constellation, Ophiuchus, used to be counted between Scorpio and Sagittarius but was discarded by the Babylonians because they wanted 12 signs per year.

True enough, Jawer says, the sun doesn't align with constellations at the same time of year that it did millennia ago. But that's irrelevant for the tropical zodiac, codified for Western astrology by Ptolemy in the second century, he says.

In the tropical zodiac, the start of Aries is fixed to one equinox, and Libra the other.

"When we look at the astrology used in the Western world, the seasonally based astrology has not changed, was never oriented to the constellations, and stands as … has been stated for two millenniums," Jawer said.

People who put stock in astrology can ask whether they should adhere to the tropical zodiac or the sidereal zodiac. Jawer argues for the tropical.

"Astrology is geocentric. It relates life on Earth to the Earth's environment, and seasons are the most dramatic effect, which is why we use the tropical zodiac," he said.

01/16/2011 05:08 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Sha-Marie I don't know what you were before, but under the so-called "new" zodiac, you'd be Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23. I personally think that someone erred in reporting this but it's funny how ANGRY some people are about it! My personal decision was to ignore the new signs but I have a sister who is ready to run out and get a Gemini tattoo.

Thanks for posting the CNN story, Stacey!

Taurus rules!

01/16/2011 05:30 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

The constellation of Ophiuchus has always been around as the 13th but they have never called it the 13th Zodiac there have always just been 12 and dont plan on adding it now, it all got blown up in an interview. Our astrological zodiacs are still the same, I'm staying a Capricorn! Tongue

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved