MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/03/2010 09:49 AM

work rant/getting a new job

mrscleanks

I am quitting my job of 12 years to go to a job that I feel like will be less stressful and not quite as physical. I hadn't been actively looking but I saw a sign saying my new employer was looking for mgmt so I went for it. Ironically it's the same job I accepted 4 years ago but my current employer convinced me to stay the last time I tried to quit.

My current job has got me so frustrated and there really is no hope of advancement in my area. The company is based 3 hrs away and there are only 2 locations this far out. An HR rep was in the store awhile back and she was following up on another employee's complaints. I found myself just opening up about all the issues that have been going on and basically spilled the beans. We rarely get visitors so the store is pretty much on it's own. The employees put up with all the issues because there are so few options in our area.

I am not talking about the usual work issues. Every job has them. I saw the writing on the wall 4 yrs ago when I tried to leave the first time and nothing has changed. When I was talking to the HR rep I told her that everybody puts up with everything because nobody wants to rock the boat and no one can afford to lose their job.

Well they don't want me to quit and have put the full court press on me. 3 phone calls the day after I gave notice. Yesterday a personal visit from the big boss who drove 3 hrs to see me. Now the HR rep is coming today and taking me to lunch to talk. The more they talk the more I realize what a "storm" I have created. Now they have started looking at the issues I brought up but it's looks like they just want to shift things around, not really fix them.

I feel so bad for everybody I am leaving behind. There are quite a few others looking for other jobs too, come to find out, but options are limited here. I know so many looked to me for help as the second in charge of the store and knew I would be there for them. Now many have expressed, who will we go to? I know no one is indispensable and things will go on without me. But I never wanted my leaving to make it worse. I opened Pandora's box prior to finding this other job so I really want things to get better with or without me.

It's going to be a long 2 weeks notice. I could rant some more but I think I have ranted enough for now. I'm trying not to stress myself out about it. Thanks for listening!!!!Dizzy

08/03/2010 09:56 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

Congratulations on the new job. You really have to think about your health first, even though it's hard to not worry about your co-workers who relied on you so much. Someone else will move up in the ranks, as people do what has to be done, when they finally have to do it.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing in any case. You tried your best to get changes made and now it's time to move on. Best of luck in your new endeavor!

08/03/2010 09:57 AM
LoriD

good luck! Those 2 week notices do seem to last forever! I hope it goes well for you and that the (insert word I can't think of right now) in stress helps you mentally and physically.

08/03/2010 10:06 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Best of luck and Congrats on the new job, you do have to worry about you at this point. I felt terrible when I left my job, I ran the entire co and worried so much about them but it wasn't healthy and I stopped feeling guilty. They did close a few months later, I had always known more about the company than my boss did so I felt bad but oh well. I can't please everyone. Wink

08/03/2010 10:32 AM
mrscleanks

Thanks so much everyone! Everyone is right-I should be happy about my new job and put my focus there, not on all this negative stuff. Miss Stacey, you are right about not pleasing everybody. My husband keeps telling me "it will be their problem here shortly, not yours anymore-quit worrying". I should listen to both of you! It's so hard to "shut it off" sometimes-I am a worry wart by nature so that doesn't help matters. Thanks again for all the positive comments!!! I really needed to hear it!!!Smile Kim

08/03/2010 02:55 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved