MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/12/2010 08:17 AM

The place you live

PCG
PCG  

How's your town like? your neighborhood?

Let us know... I know I live in a strange place that people doesn't usually get what I'm talking about when I say "here you can do that" or "here you can't do that other thing" so I'll try to explain how's Ciudad del Este, Alto Paraná, Paraguay Smile

For starters, Ciudad del Este is the name of the town, Alto Paraná is the state and Paraguay is the country Laughing

Ciudad del Este is located on a place known as the "triple frontera", which would translate as... the place with 3 frontiers, I know this has a name in English, it comes out in the news, but I can't remember what it is right now Laughing

This place is known for smuggling and it's supposedly a place where terrorist come to hide or train.... I can say anything about that... never met one, at least that I knew of Laughing

I cans say that this city grew around the fact that it has a tax free policy, so it's like a giant duty free shop. But ill designed, everything grew faster than it could be controlled and a lot of money passed under the table so the downtown is a mess of unimaginable proportions Laughing

Also it's fairly new for people to actually see the town as a place to live, so until a few years you had nothing at all to do here, except go out drinking... now we have a few more options, specially if you cross the border to Brazil. In the Paraguayan side, you don't even have a movie theater... my brothers run the first books and magazines store of the town, and they hardly make ends meet. I used to work with them but the money the shop was making wasn't enough for everybody, so I looked for work elsewhere...

Also near by is the Argentinian border (hence the nick name of this area)so within an hour ride you get to see 3 countries Laughing

On the Brazilian and the Argentinian towns you can also see the Iguassu Falls, which are beautiful Smile

Paraguay and Brazil also have here one of the biggest (if not the biggest, can't remember right now) hydro electrical plants of America, called Itaipu. Even so we get blackouts every time that rains Laughing

On the things that us fibromites have to look up to... doctors are ill informed and don't usually care about the new stuff out there. You have a better chance going to the doctors in Brazil, but they are quite expensive....

Nothing in this country is taken seriously as it should... all can be left for tomorrow, or the next administration Laughing

The people here have a very strong trauma with foreigners, since the country was devastated by its neighbors in a war not so far back in time, before most people alive were born, sure, but the mistrust is still there...

Even so, when you get to know them and them you, it doesn't matter where you are from, they'll treat you kindly, like a brother/sister. I've made here friends meant to last forever... they are easy going people, that need nothing but a shadowed porch and a terere (cool drink prepared with herbs) to have a good time. Smile

Well, ask if you have any questions and do post how your town is, what it has of unique and what you love and hate about it Laughing

07/13/2010 12:41 AM
puppymom2

What a great idea for a thread. I live in Bakersfield, CA. It is on the transitional zone between the desert and grasslands so water is very important. My husband is in the water biz. Bakersfield is the largest town in the county with about 250,000 people. Oil is probably the major money makers and employer. A lot of farming is done here as well, mostly cotton, carrots, pistachios, and almonds and some tomatoes and leafy greens.

What I like about the town is the people. Almost everyone is very nice. Pedestrians actually have the right away and cars almost all yield to the walkers. Drivers stop in the parking lots to let people walk into the stores. If there is a close call while driving, no need for bird, no one is up set and you receive a simple wave. People go out of their way to help the less fortunate here not only at Christmas time but all year long. But what I like the most is that everyone is just plain nice.

I love the neighborhood I live in. It was build about 27 years ago. The houses are all custom, and most of their are fairly large. Brick must have been all the rage because most of the houses are faced with brick. The yards tend to be large and everyone has a pool. The trees are big and we have a neighborhood park complete with tennis courts and swing sets as well as a pond for all types of water foul. The people here take pride in their city. The atmosphere here is that of a much smaller town. People seem to know what others are doing and that is not always good.

But I really love it here.

07/13/2010 03:19 AM
Kristie1972
Kristie1972  

i live in Princeton Kentucky. it is a very small town. we just got a super wal-mart last summer. we only have one movie house. and it only has i think 2 screens in it. i don't live in town i live out in the country. which i so love. it is a very small neighberhood. we live on my boyfriends grandparents farm of about 180 akers. we have a lot of deer that come really close to the house and i love it.

back to our big city. there are only about 10,000 people in the whole town i would say. we are called the bible belt. we have more churches than anything else. most everyone knows everyone else and your business. that part i don't like at all. other than that i love where i live.

07/13/2010 04:54 AM
VintageAnn

What A fun thread. I live in Clovis, California the county I live in is the produce capital of the world. Our town is small about 70 thousand. Although I live in the city we are surrounded by orang orchards and grape vineyards. The schools are wonderful and our crime rate is very very low. I can be in the mountains in less than an hour and to the beach in about two hours.

PCG is your health care government run or private pay. Is it beautiful there, tropical?

07/13/2010 05:20 AM
PCG
PCG  

Here where I work we have the private health care, thankfully, the government care is even worse Laughing (should cry actually :O )

07/13/2010 07:13 AM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

?small town 70,000!!!!! YIKES!

I live in the Siskiyou Forest in zip code there are just 300 families.

And I don't know any of them.

That's the towns way,

but also I have been sick or recuperating from surgeries since we bought this place.

The only resident I knew by name was the postmistress, (yes we have our own zip code and post office,

but she has retired after a stroke, and I haven't had an opportunity to learn the new ladies name.

now that's a small townLaughing

07/13/2010 07:22 AM
PCG
PCG  

hahaha, yes, I'll never call Ciudad del Este small again, I can still fall disorganized, dirty, weird... but not small Laughing

07/13/2010 07:41 AM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

PCG, Very interesting story about your hoe....thank you sweetheart. I enjoyed reading.

07/13/2010 07:55 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

I can count me as living in the big city after Nat's entry. We have a whopping 800 pop. in this little Or. town. But we are already in the mountains so only have to walk out my door to get there. Smile There's 1 store, and nothing else much. No movie, no drugstore, no dr. At least we have a hardware store and an antique store/coffee house. Smile That's where UPS has an outpost. I love it here!

07/13/2010 07:55 AM
PCG
PCG  

I tend to write a lot when I'm nervous...yesterday I was pretty nervous I think Laughing

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved