MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/09/2009 10:49 PM

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a ?

raeang18

I am 27 years old I've been seeking a diagnosis for my constant muscle pain for nearly 8 years. One doctor after another would dismis my problems as just being overweight or not exercising enough. I was finally diagnosed a few months ago. Treatment has just started, but I am still working, though I don't know for how much longer I can continue. My question is since I am still working, is disability through your employer different from getting it from the state? Is it easier or the same? I know I get short term and long term disability through my insurance at work, but I don't know how it all works.

Any advice would be appreciated and I'm glad I found this wonderful group!

08/09/2009 11:43 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

raeang18, welcome to the Wonderful World of Mighty Fibromites! It's very nice to meet you Smile

I'm glad you're finally starting treatment! You poor thing- 8 years is a long time to go with all that pain and not knowing why or having anything done for it.

You're right, short term disability and disability through your employer are very different from long term SSD. That's through the government and it's covered by money you have already paid into Social Security.

There are people around here with a lot more knowledge and experience on these matters than what I have. I'm sure they'll be along soon.

I can tell you a couple of things, though. For SSD, get a lawyer before you even begin the process. Many people here have used Allsup and with great success. Also they charge only a flat fee as opposed to a percentage, which if you get a big retro check, can take a huge chunk of it.

However, if you have FMLA, or any kind of short term disability available through your work, you might want to go ahead and do that.

Who knows? Your treatment might be sufficient to let you continue to work, but it would be nice to have some time off to give it a fair chance.

If you're lucky enough to get meds that really do control your pain, and it does and can happen, then your body still needs time to recover. My doctor says it takes about a 3rd of the time that you've been fibromatic (new word alert!), so you would be looking at nearly two years.

It depends on a lot of factors, though. Like how wrecked you are. I was pretty wrecked, having been bed ridden for two years up until last December.

At any rate, I do hope that you'll hang with us and make yourself right at home. If you need anything, feel free to pm me, or grab anyone that's handy.

Newbie hugs, Tina

08/09/2009 11:46 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

PS: This was the right forum to post your intro in Wink

Tina

08/10/2009 05:27 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello raeang,

Tina has pretty much answered all of your questions so I ll just WELCOME you to our group !! Smile We are glad you found us and you ll find many new friends here willing to help you and answer your questions from their own personal experiences.

I am sorry you have to suffer so at such a young age. Just doesn t seem fair at all ~~~

I am 63 and still working full-time ~~~ Some days are sheer he** to get thru but rather than be off and use my FMLA (have only done that once in 34 years working there), I trudge thru the muck as best I can some days then come home and totally collapse ~~~ Only to get up and do it AGAIN the very next day.

Anyway, welcome to our group ~~~ Smile

Marilyn

08/10/2009 11:39 AM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group Rae! I used short term disability through my employer before I quit working all together. Honestly, the insurance company would have been just as hard or harder to get long term disability through than going through social security. Every company is different. I look forward to getting to know you!

08/10/2009 01:33 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Hi and welcome to our group. I just wanted to welcome you and add that Human Resources dept. from your employer will be able to answer all your questions about the insurance you have through employment. Most people do endure a very rough financial time in one manner or another once you have to stop working.

I will keep you in my prayers. Please feel free to reach out for help and support anytime.

Connie

Welcome  bears

08/10/2009 05:26 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome to the group! Unfortunately, I do not have any disability benefits from my job, and I was forced in June of this year to ask my boss to change my duties from a very high-powered, high-stress job to one that's a bit more sedentary and easier for me to handle physically, as well as switching from night work to day work. If my boss has not accomadated me, I would have been forced to quit and stayed unemployed for who knows long while I searched for a daytime job that provides insurance in this rough economy. And I must still work, no matter how bad I may feel, because I haven't put enough money into SSI to be able to claim; I can make more by working. I hope you can get the help you need through your employer, at least for the time being!

08/10/2009 05:37 PM
raeang18

Thank you all for your warm welcome. It's so nice to be part of such a supportive group. And your advice did come in handy. I stopped by my HR department today and got some information. If nothing else, at least while my meds and treatments begin to work and take affect perhaps I can at least go out on short term disability for the time being. I am starting to realize very quickly with this condition to take each day as it comes. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

08/11/2009 05:15 AM
Wintersnow

I was working full time when I first started having problems. I was on short term disability. All that I had to do was get my doctor to fill out their form. I recieved 60% of my normal pay. Every company is different. Good luck.

Pearl

08/11/2009 06:24 AM
michie52
michie52  

WELCOME!!!!

hugs michie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved