MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/23/2008 07:06 PM

The complete idiot's guide to fibromyalgia

jgamble409

I just bought this book The complete idiots guide to Fibromyalgia found it on the Fibormyalgia associations website. Started reading it and it made me feel alot better about some of the things I have been doing but now I must start taking a more active role like exercise, the only one using the treadmill is Shadow our son's puppy for some reason she likes to sleep on it. Also found out a friend has rhuematoid(sp)? arthritis(sp) and talked to her I think I will buy a hot tub. I really don't talk to anyone except for family about how I feel must people don't care if it affects what they want to do. So I have really become picky about my friends which I realized I did not pick very caring ones from the start. So now I really don't have anyone to talk to except one and then we really talk about our grandkids because she is our son-in-laws mother and my only good friend. Not really unhappy about that except that leaves a really small universe in my world. I am also going to try yoga I bought a tape and so that way I can stop if I need too. Each day I think I can bet this but the last few days have been really hard must be the holiday and that makes me realize how I miss my mom and dad. How lucky I am to have the husband and children that I do. Has anyone else read any books that have helped?

03/23/2008 07:45 PM
mamanordy

Sounds like a good book!

03/23/2008 09:01 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

I don't know how I'm going to add excercise to my daily routine when something as simple as doing the dishes and peeling potatos has me walking all hunched over in pain for the rest of the day. Geez is this normal? Should I be able to excercise with out being thrown into a flare? I mean I do have two young children and they keep me on my toes so I don't just sit around all day or anything. My bones ache from just the simple walking I do all day for my kids. Every night I'm in a flare.

My doctor told me I need to excercise and I thought well I will as soon as I get something to control my pain.

03/23/2008 09:08 PM
jgamble409

I know what you mean that's why one of our dogs uses the treadmill more than me. I don't have any kids at home but with everything else going on I know that that is not at the top of my list but maybe I could just try 5 minutes on a slow walk that would equal your one minute with your kids. I have never met an exercise that I enjoyed. I have no endorfins in my whole body they were left out when I was born.

03/24/2008 07:24 AM
sweetheartsuzee
sweetheartsuzee  

I sure can't exercise...that's a fact! BUT...I can try to dance or even on occasion...go get the mail! Yeah, it's sad...I know! But, it's me and it's my life, so if I have to consider dancing to one song each day exercise, then so be it! That's the way it's gotta be and to me...one dance a day is better than none!

As far as the book...I haven't read any books. I know that I should but so far I just haven't. I'm glad that it helped you though and hope that maybe you can find something that you like to do...that won't put you into a full flare by the end of the day, yet makes you feel like you've done SOME sort of 'movement' that you can associate with exercise!! Silly

{{{{Fibro Hugs}}}}

03/24/2008 07:38 AM
jgamble409

Dancing is great exercise if only one dance at least you are doing something. My body has never craved exercise so it makes it doubly hard for me to talk myself into it. I have a bad attitude right now. So must pick up my feet and try dancing to one slow very slow song, thanks for the idea. Maybe I can dance with my granddaughter a little on Fridays if I can work up to that. Thanks again any movement is exercise.

03/24/2008 07:51 AM
Red2
Red2  

Hey jgamble!! I agree with the above. Exercise does not agree with me!! I do have a mini trampoline that I softly, softly, jog in place on for about five to eight minutes at a time. Sometimes less/or not at all if having a bad day! My chiropractor suggested it - she said it would help us females keep everything in place inside so we don't end up needing our bladders, etc. tied up one day. There is only one thin, smooth muscle that holds everything in place. The bouncing is what exercises this muscle. I know she must be right, because when I first started using it, I felt as though all my insides wanted to exit out the bottom!! Smile Ok, hopefully not too much info.!!! Smile It has helped, and I'm hoping just a little each day will build up a little endurance. I just don't know about this since I haven't been able to do it each day yet. I guess I'm just hoping!

I also have read a book called "Parting the Fog" - the personal side of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome. BY: Sue Jones

Sue writes: This then, is not a book about winning the battle with FMS. Alas, I have not reached the point of waving the proverbial victory flag myself. Rather, this is about the heart of the struggle. We are on a road we would never have chosen to travel. The journey is rough and fraught with unpleasant surprises. Although we sometimes feel very alone, we are all moving along this road together. We must keep hope as our motivator and wellness as our goal. My dream is that one day each of us will conquer FMS. At that point the struggles documented here will only serve as a memory of the anguish we left behind. My purpose in writing this book is to inspire fellow FMS'ers through poetry, a splash of humor and an occasional moment of insight.

I have enjoyed this book and feel others would too. Smile

HUGS to all of you today!!

03/24/2008 09:21 AM
Kaze
Kaze  

jgamble, I get newsletters once a month from Fibromyalgia Network and there is a doctor that said to only excercise 5 minutes 6 times a day. That way it won't send you into a flare {Hopefully} I have been trying it and so far its been OK. jgamble you sound alot like me, Everyone I know works and I only have one friend I can really relate to and that is my daughter. I too have a granddaugher, shes 7, her name is Jocelyn. The best little person in my life. But nowww I have alot more friends, "on line" It may sound impersonal but its not, they are great here, and you can complain all you want and they still listen! Just stay with us and you will be blessed. Kaze

03/24/2008 09:22 AM
kesslmama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have not read any books on fibro, I probable should though, maybe now that I am on spring break I will have the time to read for pleasure and not just school. I try to walk my dogs every morning sometime the walks are reallyshort and other day I can manage about a quarter mile. Its a slow walk cuz one of my dogs is as old and gimpy as me.Laughing. I agree any movement is exercise,even if it is only to go from the bed to the couch and back.Silly

03/24/2008 09:26 AM
Kaze
Kaze  

Suzee, picturing you dancing made me smileCheerful It diffently fits you! I am diffently going to try it.Silly Kaze

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved