MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/03/2009 07:52 AM

Hi, I'm new here :)

anish

I guess this is an introduction/seeking advice. I am 36 years old, married and I have two healthy children (8 and 14). I have also been living with Rheumatoid arthritis and Fibromyalgia for the last 8 years(officially diagnosed).

My husband and I had a happy yet scary surprise about a month ago. I'm pregnant Blink. It has been nine years since I have done this which makes it scary enough. Now I am scared to death that something is going to be wrong with the baby. Between being "of advanced maternal age" (A.K.A. old) and the meds I am on I am really worried. The one med that I am on that has me extremely concerned is Lyrica. As most of you probably know, there are not adequate human studies on lyrica and birth defects. If ANYONE has any personal experience with taking Lyrica while pregnant PLEASE share with me Smile.

As of right now, none of my doctors can agree on whether I should stay on it or go off of it and when I tried to go off of it verry slowly I thought I was going to loose my mind (not being dramatic). So now I have to play a waiting game with even getting an appointment with fetal medicine so that maybe I can find out what is going on.

Sorry, I am really frustrated.

Thanks!

07/03/2009 08:15 AM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome, I will be holding you in my heart and prayers. Please keep us posted. Congratulations on the Baby.

HUGS River

07/03/2009 08:19 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Welcome to the group. Congrats on the baby! I don't have any advice on the lyrica though. Sorry.

07/03/2009 08:36 AM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Anish, welcome to our fibro family! Congrats on the baby! I'm so sorry about the lyrica, though. I haven't a clue. You would think that your doctors would, but I guess not, huh?

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. The only thing I can suggest is that you err on the side of caution and go off it. Then again, I don't see how you can. I do not envy you the place you're stuck in.

Hopefully there will be some members who have been in your situation, that will come along.

Regardless, I think it will be very good for you to be here. We have a lot of love, support and encouragement to give. We like to have a lot of fun, too.

Newbie hugs, Tina

07/03/2009 08:48 AM
anish

Thanks for the warm welcomes Smile. I will tell you what, I know Lyrica is a miracle drug for some and yes it has worked well to help quite a bit of my pain, but if I had known it would make me this sick to go off of it I would have never started taking it. I desperately want to go off of it but what I went through trying scared the hell out of me. Again, I was taking it verry slowly and I was twitching and jerking with pins and needles crawling all over me from head to toe. By day four I spent the day on the couch crying and wondering if life was worth living. WOAH! Needless to say, I jumped right back on what I was taking before and back to my old self. Keep in mind, I am a very positive person so "going there" psychologically was so completely extreme for me. WOW!

There has got to be some way to get off of this without loosing my mind. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks again Smile.

07/03/2009 08:49 AM
roomtoheal
roomtoheal  

Hi there Anish.

I am new here too and congrats on the babyWink

I have recently been exposed to Lyrica but unfortuneately have no clue what the issues are with birth defects. I can certainly understand your worry though.

I'll see if I or my PMD have any literature on it. As for personal experience I can no longer have children and dont know anyone else that is taking Lyrica.

I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time and suffering trying to stop Lyrica.

SUPER BIG HUGS TO YOUSideways

Post edited by: roomtoheal, at: 07/03/2009 08:50 AM

07/14/2009 03:21 PM
luptus

I'm new here.

Hi, My name is Tanya and I'm 33 years old and 15 weeks pregnant. I'm taking LYRICA.

I tried everything possible not taking lyrica during my pregnancy, but unfortunately this is not option for me. Pain is so horrible, that I can't function. I did a lot of research prior my pregnancy , but basically nobody knows anything about this drug and pregnancy. I went to genetic counseling to maternal fatal medicine, they did research in Phitzer, company who making this drug and they gave theme some study of 20 women who where taking lyrica during pregnancy. 5 had miscarriage, 5 decide to have abortion, and 10 continue they pregnancy and had perfect healthy babies.

I'm so happy that I find somebody who is pregnant and taking lyrica. I tried to look for people like myself online, but there is no pregnant women on lyrica. Even my ob-gyn doctor told me that from all patients who where on lyrica they all where able to stop take it in pregnancy.

I'm now 15 weeks and 2 days pregnant. So far everything looks good. I had us at 6 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks and baby is ok.

I'm so scared.

My ob-gyn, high risk doctor, genetic counselor told me that when they doing test on animals they giving theme tons of this medications. Humans never taking that amount of medication. And is very little chance that something is going to go wrong. Even healthy women with no medications can have problems.

My ob-gyn is one who is prescribing me lyrica now, because my neurologist told me strait that if I'm pregnant he is not going to prescribe lyrica for me. And no neurologist in NJ wanted to take pregnant women .

And doctor also told me that if you are in pain, you can not function - it is stress for your body and baby, and is also no good and healthy.

I'm hope you are going to read my answer and please I would like to keep a touch with you.

07/14/2009 04:31 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tanya, welcome to our fibro family! I am so happy to meet you Smile

I can imagine how scared you are! I am not sure if we have anyone expecting and on lyrica. It does seem to me that we do have members that have been pregnant and taken lyrica. Don't quote me, but I think we do.

I'm sure if we have them, then you'll hear from them.

It is an issue that comes up. We have some members who are trying to get pregnant and what meds they take is a huge concern.

I would take some comfort, though, in how confident your doctor seems about it.

I hope you'll spend some time with us. Post to your heart's content. That's the best way to get a lot out of the group and make some good friends as well!

I hope that you and I have the chance to get to know each other!

Newbie hugs, Tina

07/14/2009 05:21 PM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

Welcome Anish and Tanya. Congrats on your pregnancies. As far as the Lyrica goes and being pregnant, I would sure ask for a second opinion as far as taking it. I know you guys are scared, I would be also.

I do think it is a personal decision, and unfortunately not enough research has been done on Lyrica and pregnancy. As long as your doctors are performing blood tests and Ultrasounds, I would think he could stay on top of anything that needs attention. Good Luck with the babies and I pray you both have happy healthy pregnancies.

Welcome to the group Ladies,

Elizabeth

Post edited by: emendoza23, at: 07/14/2009 05:21 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved