MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 01:40 PM

Hair loss

cscwem
cscwem  

I am not sure if this has anything to do with my fibro or not but I was wondering if anyone else experiences it as well. Seems like every time I take a shower I lose more hair, it's not like clumps but noticeable strings of hair. I am 41 and my hair used to be thicker is now becoming thinner. I don't know if it part of the fibro, a side effect of the meds or what. I just know I don't like it. Please let me know if you experience the same thing.

Thanks,

Tawnya

02/27/2012 02:16 PM
elliskoch
elliskoch  

I experience the same thing. At first I thought it was from low thyroid because I use to be on meds but now dr says my thyroid is normal now w/out meds. Sorry I'm not so helpful, I was wondering the same thing!

02/28/2012 02:40 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have the same thing happening, and I too thought it was from my thyroid meds needing adjusting again. Nope doc ran my usual thyroid level checks and my levels are ok so that's not it. I asked him why my hair seemed to be falling out in larger amounts and you're not going to believe this he said " because you're getting older' !! I said "What??!" I'm only 47 are you telling me that I'm going bald?!! He laughed and said no it happens to some women their hair gets thinner as they get older but you're not going bald. Whew!! what a relief that was.

02/28/2012 08:23 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

It could be aging, medication side effects, thyroid issues, other hormonal imbalances, and other issues. If it starts coming out in clumps, that's when you start worrying more. I'd bring it up to the doc, especially if you haven't had a thyroid check in a while, but I wouldn't panic right now.

02/28/2012 02:33 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I'm 47 and my hair is definately thinner than it used to be. But I keep it really short, so it's not really noticable. At least I don't have a bald spot.

My Papaw, who only had a thin ring of hair around the sides of his head and did the 7 hair comb-over thing used to say about men who were going bald... "If a man goes bald in the front, he's a great thinker. If a man goes bald in the back, he's a great lover. If a man goes bald in the front and the back at the same time, he only THINKS he's a great lover!"

02/29/2012 02:00 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HAHAHAHA!!! Good one Mo! I love it.

02/29/2012 05:21 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I live with the embarressment of hair loss it is hard for me to look in the mirror and see scalp,ahh..I started loosing my hair after my back injury and thought it was due to stress and that can be a part of it,or meds or a friend asked about having alot of MRI'S( I dont know about that but her husband did)thyroid could be an issue but also family my grandmother had thinning hair. of course I am the only one other then her that has it..again if clumps are comming out It would be more worrisome. now some ides you can due if it is very noticeable,my exstra son who is a hair dresser told me to use brown eye shadow(my hair is brown) and dab with blush brush it helps take away the shine the way you cut your hair also,I had to cut mine short and part it diffrent,plus they have great hair peices now

02/29/2012 08:49 AM
DanaW
DanaW  

I have to flush my shower drain once a week cuz it clogs up with so much of my hair. I don't know how I'm not totally bald yet with all that falls out...in the shower, on the brush, in the car. One time, while I was still working, I was outside on break and a co worker came running to me with an ice tray in his hand...he wanted to show me that there was one of my hairs strung thru 3 pieces of ice...I had to laugh cuz he was so fobic about "loose hair" but I don't see what we can do about it.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved