MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 02:30 AM

I'm not a hypochondriac after all!!

mesothornie
mesothornie  

I've known about fibro all my life! My mother, aunts, grandmother on my fathers side, all have had it.

It wasn't till i was about 16 years old that i started to notice the same symptoms my mom described. I went to my doctor several times, and she told me every time that there was nothing wrong with me.

Finally it got to the point that she was walking into the office and would say to me "whats wrong with you now". So, I decided, well actually my husband TOLD me (lol) I was going to switch doctors. I found a wonderful doctor who set aside an hour and a half just to talk to me the first time.

I told her all of my symptoms and family history, and she ran a few tests (including the trigger point/pressure point test) and within the week I had three diagnosis'. Lupus, fibromyalgia and hoshimotos syndrome. This explained why i was always sick, in pain and so depressed. This also explained why me and my husband were having such a horribly difficult time getting pregnant.

I also found out that week that my previous doctor had put in my records that i was a hypochondriac and a pill seeker. I dont understand that. I never asked once for pills, I just wanted to know what was wrong with me.

Now since I dont have insurance I do not receive the treatment I need. I now only take Flexaril. That helps some, and I can sleep if i take Two. Other than that all I have is the love and support of my family and my wonderful husband. Who, will NOT let me do anything for myself on my really bad days. He's wonderful....

02/27/2012 11:06 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome mesothornie. No, you have never been a hypochondriac some doctors are just not aware enough of to diagnose you properly. So glad you were able to find one finally and get a proper diagnosis, and find us you're going to love it here. Love the picture of you and your hubby, it's wonderful that you have a such a supportive husband, it makes everything so much better. Fee free to post here about anything and as often as you want, read up on old posts,articles I look forward t oseeing you around the boards. Hugs and Love

blflwrwelcme

02/27/2012 11:15 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

She's a friend of mine, I made her come! lol

Chin up hon! At least it didnt' take you 25+ years to get diagnosed like it did me! And while my new rhuematologist diagnosed me immediately, and is treating me, my new primary care doc said she thought it was a "trashcan diagnosis" for "doctors who are too lazy to figure out what's really wrong."

I may have to get a new primary care doc. But I think I'll keep the rhuemy!

02/28/2012 12:09 AM
hedap

Mesothornie,

I don't know why it's so difficuly for doctors to dx fibro and fatigue. With anythig it's a process of elimination. I believe many are just not educated about fibro and thus go by inaccurate information. There's really no exuse for your doc not having checked for fibro with your family history.

I'm sorry about the insurance issues. Does your community have low cost/ sliding scale clinics? Ours does and for someone in your situatio it might be a good idea to try there. They may also be able to help you with your presciptions as well.

So sorry to hear about the other illnesses as well. Take care and let us know how you are making out,

heather

PS cute couple!

Post edited by: hedap, at: 02/28/2012 12:11 AM

02/28/2012 01:36 AM
Montag
Montag  

Mesothornie,

Welcome to you!

I can relate - `There is a name for how yucky i feel!`

I recall a family member was angry to find out i wasn`t faking this illness. she was always talking me down..... to the point i was doubting myself.

I`m happy you have a supportive husband !

Ignore docs who write such junk- i think many are just plain paranoid of a lawsuit so they over-compensate by blaming us in writing.

02/28/2012 08:25 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Hey there and welcome to the group! There is a post on the general info forum about people who have no insurance. You might want to check that out. It may have some things that can help you get treatments.

02/29/2012 06:26 PM
Moiaddy
Moiaddy  

If your health meets certain criteria you might be able to get on your state medicaid plan, its worth a shot.

Lupus and Hashimotos has got to be monitored, if you are put on Plaquenil for the Lupus, you will need to get your vision checked at least every six months.

I'm not one of those sue happy people at all, but when they treat you like crap and write things like that in your file I get upset at their know all atitude and there is no reason for it....but without telling them why....or just say its for your private medical records, get a copy of your medical file, make sure you ask for everything including lab results...(I learned the hard way they don't give you what you don't specifically ask for), and get your current doctors lab reports and diagnosis, if you can afford it take the new lab results to another doctor for a second opinion or confirmation of diagnosis and sue the shit out of the first doc for failure to diagnose.

I'm sorry....*stepping off soapbox*....I just get upset when this happens and what could happen to you without medical follow-up. *walking away from soapbox*

In any case, I'm glad you have gotten some help, there are also med assist programs for free or reduced medicine...your doc might be a part of one where you get the meds free so talk to the doc or the nurse.

Gentle hugs...

03/01/2012 05:55 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved