MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/05/2011 09:41 AM

My PCP thiks I have Fibromyalgia

Kyra74
Kyra74  

My doctor told me she thinks I have fibromyalgia, and referred me to a rhumetologist. I have been trying to find out more about fibromyalgia and what to expect when, I came accross this site. I was hoping I could connect with people who can give me advise and help me with what to expect. My family gets really frustrated with me because sometimes I am in so much pain , I can not do anything but cry. I feel like I am letting them down. I always hurt, I am always tired. Sometimes I have a really difficult time focusing on things. My children ask me to do things and take them places and I have to have them ask their dad to take them places. When I get home from work, my husband asks me what I am making for dinner, when all I want to do is go to bed because I hurt so bad. When I ask if everyone can fend for themselves a night or two , or have leftovers, most of the time he acts like it is a big hassle. My husband says I am just lazy. He is not a bad guy, he just does not understand how much pain I am in .It crushes me when my daughter asks me why I wont go play at the park with her or shoot some hoops with her. I try to explain, but I do not know how else to convey to them what I am going through. I just feel helpless. I can not get into the rhumatologist until the end of the month. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources to help me cope with my family, especially my children. I do not know how to explain it any better to my children so they understand that it is not that I am not wanting to spend time with them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advise would be much appriciated.

Post edited by: Kyra74, at: 05/05/2011 12:15 PM

05/05/2011 04:03 PM
mem219

Hi Kyra and welcome to the group! Hopefully after you see your reumy things will get better for you. Until then just try and hang in there. I have had fibro and osteoarthritis for 7 yrs. now (diagnosed when I was 22 yrs. old)and thats the only doc I see is my reumy. Im on a combination of meds. I believe its the combo that helps not just one or another by itself. I just found my right combo after so many years so it does take time and patience but you will get there and U have to have confidence in your doc so if u get a bad feelin from that one then try another. right now Im on

Savella (for fibro)

Vicodin (pain)

Soma (muscle relaxer)

Klonopin (anxiety and for fibro)

Dicloflenac (arthritis)

I know for a newbie it sounds like a lot of meds but thats the only thing that makes me feel normal and deal with daily life (the combo). My hubby and 11 yr. old son still dont get it (they have gotten better though) even after 7 yrs. of experiencing this with me and I dont think they will ever really get it but all you can do is educate yourself and them. I think once you get on the right meds things will start improving for you. I WISH U THE BEST OF LUCK AND I PROMISE THINGS WILL GET BETTER. If u ever need anything or have questions PM me anytime. We are all here for you.

05/05/2011 04:24 PM
Wintersnow

Kyra, I have heard your story 100 times. You are not alone. I am sorry that you are in so much pain and that your family just don't get it. Hang in there sweetie. Before you go to your appointment be sure to write down any questions that you have. Hopefully, he will be able to find a treatment plan that will work for you. The doctor will most likely ask you about where and when you hurt. He will also check your pressure points. No big deal.

Working and having a family is a lot with Fibro. A lot of us just can't do it. I am older so my children are grown and I have a husband who is familar with Fibro because of his work. My stardards have certainly been lowered. I am sure other members with small children can give you better advice on that than I can. As for me, somedays I do good just to get dressed and the dishwasher cleaned out.

Welcome to the family.

05/05/2011 06:10 PM
Kyra74
Kyra74  

Thank you both for replying to me. It means so much to me that there are other people out there that understand and are so kind to offer words of comfort to a stranger. I have felt so alone and feel like I have let my family down. I have been having a very difficult evening , and when I recieved your posts, it made me feel like I was not so alone. My heart goes out to you and hope you are having a peaceful evening.

Kyra

05/09/2011 12:55 PM
maggiesdream
maggiesdream  

Kyra,

I could have written your post myself. My husband doesn't believe in Fibro or adhd or pain apparently unless he has it. He got an ear infection recently and was talking about how bad he felt(we were at his mothers,trying to run from one of the tons of storms we've had here recently) and anyway I said well lets go on home now so you can clean up the house and cook something for us to eat. He didn't like that to much but that's exactly how he treats me. He thinks I'm lazy and a terrible mom. He thinks he shouldn't have to do as much with the kids because they are girls and they need their mom. If they were boys he says it would be different. Isn't that a load a BS!! He just ignores my pain and we just pretend everything is like it used to be. We fight about the house being dirty alllllll the time. He can't stand it and doesn't know why or how I can. Like I like it to be filthy. I just don't know how to get any of them to do anything. My kids are 12 and 5 and they won't do a thing because I have taught them they don't have to. I always did everything and I'm to exhausted to fight with them. I don't have it in me. I am honestly ecstatic when my husband finds something to do or my kids spend the night somewhere else because thats one less person bothering me. Not that I don't absolutely love and adore my children cause I do. My husband is just an idiot and he can't help it. But I looooove for him to be gone. He's like the male version of a nagging housewife or something. UGH!!

Anyway, Kyra, its all trial and error with the meds. I think millsbuck is right you just have to find your right combo. I think it should include a Fibro med-Lyrica or Savella or Cymbalta-I take Gabepentin, a sleep med if you have any problems sleeping, an anti anxiety med when needed and anti depressant, add stomach meds or whatever considering your other ailments, I do not take a pain med as though don't seem to help much, they make me sick and I'm already addicted to my sleeping med so I don't want another addiction. Everyone is different. Let us know how it goes

Peace and Love,

Jennifer

05/20/2011 10:56 AM
Kyra74
Kyra74  

Well, my fibro dx was confirmed by my Rheumatologist yesterday. She has now put me on Tramadol (sp?) and also ordered several other tests to see if I have anything else on top of the fibro. So I went directly to the pharmacy yesterday after my appt , to pick up the Tramadol, and the pharmasist scared the sh** out of me. She said that I need to be careful taking this medication because of other meds that I am taking and the Tramadol could cause a potentially deadly side effect , and am I sure my dr knows about the othe meds I was taking. The rhumetologist went through all the meds I am on and yet she still perscribed this for me without saying a word about this little detail. I was not sure if I was even going to attempt taking it last night.

to make a long story short, I did take it , and I am still here, so that is a good thing I guess. It did not touch the pain I was and am still currently in, but at least the vicodin takes the edge off a bit , when I can take it.....

My family still does not understand and they dont really seem to care. My husband has offered to give a a 1hour massage every night, since he is a CMT and he thinks it would help with some of my problem areas,which would be great, but since he has offered that (about a month ago) I have to ask him to do it , and when I do, it always seems like I am a big inconvience. He will say , "I suppose" or let out a heavy sigh, or roll his eyes; as if that is supposed to help me relax. Then , if he does do it, while he is trying to get a knot out of my neck or something, the kids start to argue , and instead of going to talk to them about it, he yells across the house to "knock it off" or "figure it out" . Angry IF I had started to relax, it is over at that point anyway. So at this point, I have learned not to ask!!!!

On occasion he will notice me struggling with something, and he will say "why don't you just ask me for help" The times I do ask him for help he will say "I'll take care of it" or "I was going to do that after my show" or "I am waiting on (xyz) to get done, then I will do it" and then months will go by and I will have to wind up doing it myself , or the food will get left out overnight and spoil, or whatever .... So why would I ask if I am going to wind up doing it myself anyway. At least this way I know it is getting done (sooner rather than later)

Heck, he will not even make sure the kids get their homework done before I get home from work!!!

Sorry I am rambelingDizzy . I am just so frustrated!!! Thank you for listening!!!! Blush

05/20/2011 05:16 PM
njenkinspa
njenkinspa  

Kyra

Good luck with the tests and the dr's I have only been diagnosed the last two years. It's not easy just make sure you take time for yourself on the real bad pain day's. I am still working on getting the right combo!

05/20/2011 06:14 PM
lupusgirl
lupusgirl  

Hi Kyra,

I guess we can excuse our families a little because of their ignorance. But it doesn't make us sympathetic to them if they get an ear ache or headache & whine about it, because it just seems so trivial to us with what we are facing every day. I would encourage you to try high doses of fish oil every day & see if that helps. It is a proven anti-inflamatory, & has helped me considerably since I began on it in January. I am also taking cayenne pepper by capsule 3 times a day, & am beginning to experience weeks of pain free days. My energy levels have increased, & I don't take naps through the day anymore. I have been on so many of the meds prescriped (I have Lupus & Fibro) & have had the best results so far with the fish oil & cayenne pepper. Check with your doc first though to make sure it won't affect the meds you are on if you decide to try it. I am on nothing else & starting to feel almost normal again.

Lisa

05/20/2011 06:21 PM
sunnydays
sunnydays  

Hi Kyra and welcome. I know a lot of your frustration. I am married,and my hubby understands about my FM. He never insults me,or minimizes it,but yet he truly dosent understand. He dosent offer to help,or like you I have to ask,and get a half hearted offer of help. I have 2 girls,4 and 6. They dont really know there is anything wrong with me. They just know mommy has owies they cant see,and for such young children,are pretty understanding. I try my best to do for my children everything they need/want,but there are just things I cannot do. But they are my driving force everyday. Without them needing me,I would just give up. Dont have a lot of advice,just understand your frustration. Keeping working with your DR. and hang in there!

05/20/2011 08:34 PM
Kyra74
Kyra74  

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I am so sorry I was just ranting. I was having a difficult day. I am trying to adjust, and am having a difficult time knowing that the limitations I have been experiencing are ones I will continue to have indefinatly. I will talk to my dr about the fish oil and cayenne. If it works, it would be much beter than a perscription every day.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved